• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flocking Cormorants? (2 Viewers)

Trilogy82

Ireland
Is it unusual to see Cormorants flying in large flocks and is there any significant reason for them to do this?

I spotted a large flock of 50-60 birds in flight while driving yesterday. I pulled in to watch for a while and noticed they were flying the same pattern, over and over - back and forth over a distance of 500m or so.

When I first saw them there was a single grey heron flying after them but within about 15 minutes or so there were 8 of them in pursuit.

I eventually lost sight after they dropped below the tree line but might be worth mentioning that this was a good 20-25 miles inland.

Is this usual?

Brian

I think it's interesting to see the cormorants flying in large flocks and I'm not sure if there's a specific reason or purpose for them. It's definitely worth researching further to find out more information.

Is it unusual to see Cormorants flying in large flocks and is there any significant reason for them to do this?

I spotted a large flock of 50-60 birds in flight while driving yesterday. I pulled in to watch for a while and noticed they were flying the same pattern, over and over - back and forth over a distance of 500m or so.

When I first saw them there was a single grey heron flying after them but within about 15 minutes or so there were 8 of them in pursuit.

I eventually lost sight after they dropped below the tree line but might be worth mentioning that this was a good 20-25 miles inland.

Is this usual?

Brian
Not that unusual imo* - they migrate in quite large flocks (100+), and also roost communally (daytime and night time).

What time of day did you see your birds? If birds at roost (or pre-roost) were disturbed they could fly around as you describe.

Cormorants commonly occur on fresh water bodies and waterways inland in Europe.

(But nice to see, and away from areas you normally see them an impressive sight perhaps ;-) )

Last edited:
Not that unusual imo* - they migrate in quite large flocks (100+), and also roost communally (daytime and night time).

What time of day did you see your birds? If birds at roost (or pre-roost) were disturbed they could fly around as you describe.

Cormorants commonly occur on fresh water bodies and waterways inland in Europe.

(But nice to see, and away from areas you normally see them an impressive sight perhaps ;-) )
It was about 3pm or so.

It was something I hadn't seen/noticed before but nice to see and also interesting to see the herons "drop what they were doing" and give chase.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back