• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Food and feeders (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
What sort of bird feeders do people have in their gardens? I have the one shown on the attached photo (we call it the monstrosity), as well as five other feeders for peanuts, one for mixed seed, and two for mealworms that only tits and robins can access. The tubes on the monstrosity are 33cm long, and the one with the black sunflower seeds needs to be re-filled every 2 or 3 days.

As well as these I have one squirrel-proof bird table, and two ground feeder tables that are used more by squirrels than anything else. I buy food in bulk, and store it in plastic dustbins in the garage - necessary because of the mice.

On another forum, someone posted a list of how much bird food he used each week - I costed it out and it came to £20!!! Since then I have been putting more food out for my poor deprived little birds.

Attachments

• forummonstr.jpg
    forummonstr.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 383
I have 1 that you can stick on a window and its nice watching the birds fvery close up at the window I have a long 1 in the garden which is the birds favourite cus it seems 2 get empyed alot I use peanuts in both of them I have a wooden one aswell but that doesn't get used much

Elizabeth, I'd better not tell you how much I spend then!! Come to think of it, hubby doesn't know either; I always say I am investing in the welfare of local birds so that future generations may enjoy them as much as I do ;-)

At the moment I'm just putting out feeder seed (which I buy in bulk). In the winter I put out nuts and table food - although I have rigged up my bird table so the collared doves and wood pigeons can't get on it. They clear up what the other birds spill. At present we are getting mostly house sparrows (20+) and greenfich (about the same)

As for spending £20 a week if I did that my financial controller would be asking for a divorce!

Hi all
I am about to stop putting out peanuts because they just don't seem to be going. My feeder is about 12 inches and if i half fill it it lasts about 2 months. All the other feed is fine just the peanuts has anybody else seen this happen?

Pete

Pete, I stopped with peanuts last year. Now I provide a "hi-energy" no mess seed, which the goldfinches, tits etc enjoy very much.

Pete - what birds do you have in your garden? At the moment I am regularly counting up to 7 great tits, and 5 or 6 bluetits, and these are the ones gobbling up the peanuts. The great tits also enjoy the black sunflower seeds, and the bluetits like the mealworms when I replenish the window feeder.

Since you asked - hey you used my name ;)

Interestingly the feeders in the front garden are going much much quicker than those in the back, more cover.

The sparrows are monopolising the seed feeder. The greenfinches go for the nuts. With the Tits going anywhere they can!!

Elizabeth
I have a good variety of garden birds inc all the tit range in good numbers about a dozen of each. 6-8 goldfinches with about the same number of greenfinches starting to come back now.

Sparrows too many to count, the general consensus is they are in decline but we have at least 50 at any one time.

The Robins are also starting to re-appear after the summer lay off, last year we had 4 although they do squabble a bit.

So as you can see there are a good number to have a go at the peanuts, but as I said they just don't seem interested and I got them from CJ wildfoods.

As for the rest of the feed a mixture of high Energy, sunflower and kernels niger all this seems to go well.

Perhaps it's just the birds in Snettisham they can be a stuck up lot!

Pete

Hi Pete (golfnut type again - sorry pduxon!!). I just asked because I was surprised that the peanuts were not being eaten, when the ones in my feeders are going down pretty rapidly. My birds are stuck up about niger seed - I bought it specially when I had seen a goldfinch in the garden, but it was ignored, as were the teasels I grew. I reckon the birds here just don't read the books!!

You certainly have far more birds than I do here in Mayford (near Woking) - perhaps your neighbours are more bird-minded, or maybe there is much more natural food?

It's very useful to know where people live - but perhaps we need some sort of coding system on our profiles to indicate the resources available to our garden visitors - now there's a challenge for the admin people!!!! I wonder if they might see this????

Does anyone else have experience of Chaffinches using feeders? I hadn't ever seen them use them, they seemed to much prefer picking up what was dropped onto the ground, but lately a male Chaffinch has started using the feeder in my garden. He's very wobbly on the perch and doesn't like to sit on it for too long, but he still uses it. A femalehas tried too, but more often than not just ends up hovering around the ports picking at them.

Red kite - the chaffinches last year used to ground feed, but this year they all go on the feeders. Some of them took a couple of go's before they managed to perch on them, but they've all got the hang of it now. when the goldfinches and greenfinches are present, there is a right squabble between them all vying for the feeders.

H

Glad to see someone else has seen them on feeders too! We had quite a lot of Siskins on the peanut feeder earlier this year, lots of Goldfinches on the niger seed feeder, and a Redpoll also paid a visit. A female Sparrowhawk was terrorising them all for some time, but haven't seen her for a while.

Most of 'my' birds tend to appreciate the sunflower hearts feeder the most - the Greenfinches and Bullfinches love it. You'd think that a bigger bird like the Greenfinch or House Sparrow would boss everyone else around out there, but it's the Goldfinches that seem to rule the roost! They're very aggressive and protective of their food source.

I usually get greenfinches on the seed feeders + house + a few tree sparrows. Also some chaffinches cleaning up underneath them with a couple of collared doves. What amazed me early on saturday morning was to see a grey squirrel as, apart from the few small trees in mine and the next door neighbours garden, the nearest sizeable trees are about a quarter of a mile away. There are only fenland fields with no sizeable hedges or any meaningful wild vegetation between those trees and my house. This must be a squirrel who likes to move along grass verges beside a fairly busy B road: a brave or very hungry animal?

Geoff - I've never seen a tree sparrow (I'm mainly a garden bird watcher though). I'll send you a few squirrels if you'll let me have some tree sparrows, I'm sure they'd like it here!

Geoff - a very greedy animal! Grey Squirrels turn up just about anywhere, I've often wondered how on earth they've managed it. They always have a good go at destroying my feeders though, so if I see any whilst I'm outside I throw teatowels at them! lol Ridiculous I know, they just come back then when I've gone. I just don't like them though, try as I might, they're very destructive and I don't like them taking all the food from the birds. Suppose I'm a bit mean really.

:cat:

Hi there!

I have peanuts (which go very quickly), mixed seeds, sunflowers, fat balls and I am trying these suet treats at the moment. They also get bird cake if I can't get fat balls. On the bird table I usually put out dried fruit and "hedgehog" peanuts which go very well and seeds which don't go as well.

We have LOADS of sparrows, starlings, at least 3 blue tits (these appear every day) and have just acquired a pair of robins and a pair of Great Tits which appear every couple of days or so. The greenfinches we had during the summer haven't reappeared yet, but the occasional chaffinch has been seen locally so hopefully these will be back soon as well. As we have cats I don't encourage ground feeders but there are woodpigeons and collared doves about, as well as the occasional blackbird and thrush, these don't come in the garden very often though.

We have (I think) one tree sparrow who visits regularly - it's either a tree sparrow or a hybrid and certainly the picture in the book looks like our visitor.

;) :cool: :cool: 3:) 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back