• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fort Dunlop (1 Viewer)

Starlings

A small murmuration of about 40 birds outside FD at around 3pm. No sign of the Peregrines during it.
Hardly Britains biggest but great all the same.

No worries Keith, I was on your trail of thought :t:
My grandparents are from around that area - where abouts can you see them? I might have to have a look when I'm over next.

As I said before, here's a couple of photos from today!...

Wow brilliant pics...all the time spent here has paid off.

The peregrines around Bittell are just around and I do not know where they nest but I am sure some do as there is a good amount of brill birders covering the area.
Keith :t:
Heres where I saw them in the pic but they are spotted all around the Resa area.

Attachments

• Bitt Pereg copy.jpg
    Bitt Pereg copy.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 53
new fly by

Today at around 2pm had a pair of Goosander fly passed the office heading east.
No sign of the Peregrines today but it has been misty and damp and these pylons are quite exposed as youd imagine.

Last edited:
Fort Dunlop List:(24)
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Mallard
Goosander
Grey Heron
Cormorant
Common Buzzard
Peregrine
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Pied Wagtail
Robin
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Redwing
Fieldfare
Blackbird
Starling
Magpie
Carrion Crow
House Sparrow

Peregrine Prey Items:(4)
Little Grebe (1)
Feral Pigeon (3)
Redwing (1)
Fieldfare (2)

Spoke too soon. Peregrines are about and theyre tucked away into the buildings ledges keeping out the grim weather. Both perched together at the west end of fort dunlop.

Spoke too soon. Peregrines are about and theyre tucked away into the buildings ledges keeping out the grim weather. Both perched together at the west end of fort dunlop.

Saw one of the Peregrines today about 3 pm perched on top of Fort building .

There were two gulls on the grass by the car park I thought they were Common Gulls but I note that you don't have them on your your species list but you do have Herring .
Knowing very little about Gulls perhaps you could confirm their identity for me .

Thanks for the heads up about the Peregrine , lovely to see in an urban environment

Attachments

• IMG_5648.jpg
    IMG_5648.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 66
Saw one of the Peregrines today about 3 pm perched on top of Fort building .

There were two gulls on the grass by the car park I thought they were Common Gulls but I note that you don't have them on your your species list but you do have Herring .
Knowing very little about Gulls perhaps you could confirm their identity for me .

Thanks for the heads up about the Peregrine , lovely to see in an urban environment

My pleasure. Theyre great having around. Glad they can be seen even on passing by.

They look like Herring to me. I did see a common esq bird fly passed in birmingham centre the other day but couldnt get a good enough look. The bill size and markings and the somewhat 'mean' face says Herring to me for these.

Im hoping there might be some gull movement soon with spring on its way (apparently).
Glad to have another pair of eyes around FD!

Last edited:
My pleasure. Theyre great having around. Glad they can be seen even on passing by.

They look like Herring to me. Although I did see a common esq bird fly passed in birmingham centre the other day but couldnt get a good enough look. The bill size and markings and the somewhat 'mean' face says Herring to me for these.

Im hoping there might be some gull movement soon with spring on its way (apparently).
Glad to have another pair of eyes around FD!

Ste,

Just didn't look big enough to me for Herring Gull .
I noticed that they were stamping their feet on the grass presumably to bring worms to the surface .
This behavior is shown on a Forum video being performed by Commons , wonder if this is specific to Commons or if all Gulls do it.

Any Gull experts out there ?

Regards
Alan

Herring Gulls

Ste,

Just didn't look big enough to me for Herring Gull .
I noticed that they were stamping their feet on the grass presumably to bring worms to the surface .
This behavior is shown on a Forum video being performed by Commons , wonder if this is specific to Commons or if all Gulls do it.

Any Gull experts out there ?

Regards
Alan

Hi Alan, I'm no Gull expert but have seen many Herring and Common Gull, these two are Herring Gulls. John

Certainly Herring Gulls in this case but that shouldnt rule out something more unusual occurring in the future; around four times in the last 6 months I have encountered a Yellow-legged Gull on the central reservation of Jennens Way between Millennium Point and Aston University as I walk to work.

Certainly Herring Gulls in this case but that shouldnt rule out something more unusual occurring in the future; around four times in the last 6 months I have encountered a Yellow-legged Gull on the central reservation of Jennens Way between Millennium Point and Aston University as I walk to work.

Thanks Phil , Herring Gull confirmed

I'll have to keep my eye for these Yellows then - I catch my bus from around there

Quiet day today considering the weather. Peregrines are about as much as ever though and seem more active. Less time on the pylons and more time scaring the resident feral pigeons.

Struck gold...

Another addition this sunny morning. As the bus pulled into the Fort, had 3 Goldfinches head passed my window. Nice new one for the list. Robins and Blackbirds about singing more now too with the usual Woodpigeons LBB/H/BH Gulls knocking around with the regular Corvids. One of the Peregrines was present on the pylons this morning too.

Last edited:
Fort Dunlop List:(25)
Canada Goose____________Greylag Goose
Mallard_________________Goosander
Grey Heron______________Cormorant
Common Buzzard_________Peregrine
Black-headed Gull_________Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull____Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon______________Pied Wagtail
Robin___________________Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush_____________Redwing
Fieldfare_________________Blackbird
Starling__________________Magpie
Carrion Crow______________House Sparrow
Goldfinch

Little Grebe (1)
Feral Pigeon (3)
Redwing (1)
Fieldfare (2)

Peregrine has been very active today.
Resting between the Pylons over the M6 and the top of the Fort Dunlop building, it seems to be spending a lot of time diving over and over again around the M6 or just beyond. Something has clearly caught it's eye. It never stoops but just swoops down and up again in arcs.

Not had chance to have a look for prey items lately - the roof area has been locked off during the winter on most days. Hopefully once this cold snap passes I'll be able to get back to some more regular and interesting updates...and hopefully some vis mig starting in a month or so.

I usually ask people to be carefull with info like this, but in this case i will refrian due to the birds being a lot safer with people knowing that they are there.

I should say "certain" people since local birders are well aware.

These "certian" people did allow absailing on the building during the breeding season and whats more, beamed a news report live from the building on central news.

Two weeks later i had a phone call from somebody "in the know" (and was monotoring the birds) at the council, stated that he thought the birds had been shot or piosened since he had not seen them since he got back from holiday. I told him he needed to ask somebody in another department and was shocked when i told him why. He had not been told by the other council department about the absailing event, and niether had they checked.

The birds had not been shot or poisened. They had simply deserted the nest site.

The event was in aid of charity, so nout more was said.

True story!:C

PS

With the breeding season fast approaching, could people refrain from putting Black Redstart sightings from in and around the City centre on here. Please report them to the Wildlife Trust for BBC or West Mids bird club.

West mids police have caught suspected eggers homing in on reported sites in the past.

Thats awful news, but thank you very much for sharing that, however much any of us watching these birds can do, Im sure we will keep this in mind now and hopefully make others aware if any posters or news comes of any similar events.

Ill make sure if BRs are about they stay unreported on here - although I might not be able to hide my excitement in person.

Today was rather eventful. A small fire on the ground floor sent all the offices outside. The Peregrines seemingly unaffected by the fuss below were busy around the place. One stooped several times onto a LBBGull. A sparrowhawk was also seen soaring passed the FD building. A nice new one for the FD list.

Fort Dunlop List:(26)
Canada Goose____________Greylag Goose
Mallard_________________Goosander
Grey Heron______________Cormorant
Common Buzzard_________Peregrine
Sparrowhawk
Black-headed Gull_________Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull____Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon______________Pied Wagtail
Robin___________________Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush_____________Redwing
Fieldfare_________________Blackbird
Starling__________________Magpie
Carrion Crow______________House Sparrow
Goldfinch

Little Grebe (1)
Feral Pigeon (3)
Redwing (1)
Fieldfare (2)

Goldfinch

Little Grebe (1)
Feral Pigeon (3)
Redwing (1)
Fieldfare (2)

How the hell did it catch a Little Grebe!

I was on Portland a week ago and one took a Merlin!

Disturbed another bird as it was tucking into a fresh Fulmar kill. They really are awesome preditors.

I dont know if hes still with Leisure servces, but it might be good to keep Stefan Bodnar informed. He was monotering the Birds for years:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back