• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fort Dunlop (2 Viewers)

Stefan Bodnar

How the hell did it catch a Little Grebe!

I was on Portland a week ago and one took a Merlin!

Disturbed another bird as it was tucking into a fresh Fulmar kill. They really are awesome preditors.

I dont know if hes still with Leisure servces, but it might be good to keep Stefan Bodnar informed. He was monotering the Birds for years:t:

Stefan is now warden at RSPB Middleton lakes. John

Great News!

...Peregrine catching the Little Grebe is beyond me, but it was thought when it happened that it was probably on a night flight...

This morning however another new bird for the list. Dunnock singing it's heart out on one of the bare trees, and this bit of sun this morning seems to have got the singers out generally. More BBs and other thrushes as well as Robins et al are all at it a lot more.

The GREAT NEWS though; as the bus pulled up to the FD building today Peregrine (male) flies infront of it, heads up to one of the pylons where the other (the female is), lands on her, copulates and flies off...:t:

COME ON!!!

FD List

Going to start putting the list up in txt format to save space - let me know if you'd like it in any other format for any reason.

Attachments

• FDbirds.txt
    493 bytes · Views: 41
...also does anyone know the protocol for Peregrine nesting - should this be kept shush or is it ok to blog about still seeing as there are people here keeping an eye on them?
Any info would be greatly appreciated

...also does anyone know the protocol for Peregrine nesting - should this be kept shush or is it ok to blog about still seeing as there are people here keeping an eye on them?
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Not a problem in this case, since the biggest threat is the local authority. If eveyone knows the Birds are there then they cant plead ignorance if they mess up again.

Some sites are a defo no-no though, due to thier isolation and the areas fondness of racing pigeons;)

Maybe get in touch with Stefan and see if hes interested in doing a live link with Birmingham. He still has the contacts and theyve done it before.

Not a problem in this case, since the biggest threat is the local authority. If eveyone knows the Birds are there then they cant plead ignorance if they mess up again.

Some sites are a defo no-no though, due to thier isolation and the areas fondness of racing pigeons;)

Maybe get in touch with Stefan and see if hes interested in doing a live link with Birmingham. He still has the contacts and theyve done it before.

Thats great - I don't suppose you have any contact details for him or a link I might be able to find them on? Thanks for the help!

Peregrines present as ever today.
Stooping on the resident feral population but I'm yet to see them acheive a hit. I think they've got new more hidden feeding areas now too as I haven't seen any prey items recently on the more visible sites I've seen previously.

Yesterday afternoon

couple of additions to be made.
Single Canada Goose and a pair of Mallard flew passed the office.

Also on the bus route into town which goes via Star City, there's been a huge gull roost. Yesterday saw several hundred or so making their landings onto what I think it a Carlsberg transport depot's roof.

Two finally

Its been a while since Ive seen both Peregrines now. Today though the pair were flying around together a little further up the M6.
Theres been some more waterfowl movement with more mallards and canada geese on fly bys but not much else to report.

Just driven through star city on the bus. As well as the huge flock of roosting gulls theres a Grey Heron overhead and a third Peregrine. Im pretty sure this is a different bird. The pair were busy back near the fort. Could be interesting if it is.

Todays birds

Had a Grey Heron at 11 this morning fly high past the FD building.
There's also been a lot of Passerine movement lately but not been able to see specific species from the office window, just the odd few groups that catch my eye.

Not seen the Peregrines today...

Additionally there has been a fair number of Canada Goose passing through with max skein of 9 at about 4pm.

Last edited:
Just seen both Peregrines worrying the seagulls and going back to the boxes.

(I'm can see them from my office from the factory next door.)

I normally hear them first

Just seen both Peregrines worrying the seagulls and going back to the boxes.

(I'm can see them from my office from the factory next door.)

I normally hear them first

They must be hanging around the rear of the building more lately then - haven't seen them consistently from the office for a few days now. The office faces the M6.

Good to hear someone else is enjoying them as well.

Gulls

Have been keeping my eye out on my commute to the fort for YLGs. The gulls generally have been great with the BHGs almost all in summer plumage. Think I've found a new soft spot for them all.

I think this weather has been really keeping them airbourne though - only been able to get any real good looks at the large white headed gulls today in any kind of a group with a bag of Burger King hanging out of a bin over the road which took their fancy. Big bunch of LBBGs and a few BHGs but nothing else really - I'll keep looking.

Not much to report form the fort. This weather really needs to shift

Certainly Herring Gulls in this case but that shouldnt rule out something more unusual occurring in the future; around four times in the last 6 months I have encountered a Yellow-legged Gull on the central reservation of Jennens Way between Millennium Point and Aston University as I walk to work.

Saw the Yellow-legged Gull in the same location again this afternoon; flew away when I got the work phone out to take a picture. Presumably YL Gull isnt a submission species for the West Mids?

Saw the Yellow-legged Gull in the same location again this afternoon; flew away when I got the work phone out to take a picture. Presumably YL Gull isnt a submission species for the West Mids?

I've been keeping an eye out but not had enough of a view to check the mirrors and legs on the lighter backed gulls I've seen. Is this spot on Jennens Rd?

and I'm not sure about if its a submission species.

Last edited:
I've been keeping an eye out but not had enough of a view to check the mirrors and legs on the lighter backed gulls I've seen. Is this spot on Jennens Rd?

and I'm not sure about if its a submission species.

Just checked; YLG isnt a submission species in the West Mids.

Yes, the grassed central reservation on Jennens Way opposite the Millennium Point multi-storey car park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back