• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Trilyte #805 7x35 opinions please (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
What are your opinions of the Swift Trilyte 7x35 Model 805 roof prism binocular?

I don't find much info on them. I might pick one up for pretty cheap, but I need a push one way or the other.

s-l300.jpeg

That's it? You just wanted to know what I thought pretty cheap was, and you have no opinion on this binocular?

Okay, thanks.

That's it? You just wanted to know what I thought pretty cheap was, and you have no opinion on this binocular?

Okay, thanks.
I bought and sold several Trilytes in 7x35 and 8x40 about 10 to 12 years ago. Never found the optics to be anything to write home about. And in case you are not aware, that is the focusing knob at the bottom of the bridge, and not a tripod adaptor. Quite narrow and a PIA. While Swift has made some wonderful porros, in my mind, a really good roof bin Swift made back then was the 7x36 Eaglet #825R which was more modern and compact, and the Audubon roofs.

Last edited:
Three Swift Mark III "Trilyte" Models, 7x35, 8x40, and 7x25, were early roof prism designs that were introduced around 1974. They were quite expensive at the time, although not as much as the Audubon or waterproof Storm King. They might be interesting items for a collection, but I doubt that you'd be very happy with them for everyday birding. 1974 was the era before multi-coating or phase coating, so they must be quite dark. The 7x35 model had a narrow FOV = 393.' BUT (on the positive side) it does weigh a mere 18.5 oz., and also has an amazing close-focus of 24'. :giggle:

Let's hear what you decide to do (and why). 🙏

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. They don't sound like anything I want. Although that 24 foot close focus is really nice. Doh.

A former 16-year resident of Lake Stevens pipes up. A later, shorter, ribbed-rubber clad version of the 7x35 Swift Trylite was such a nice instrument—for daytime use—that when we brought it into Captain's inventory, I took a specimen to Tucson to show Dr. Dick Buchroeder. It was fairly well-baffled and had a very good image. HOWEVER ...

The same could not be said for astronomical use (of course it was not designed for astronomical use). The apex of the roofs were inordinately flat causing spikes to appear on bright stars and planets ... yuk! The attached photo is greatly exaggerated, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.15.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.15.57 AM.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 8
I have a vintage 8x32 roof prism model that is quite similar. Focus on the bottom, no P-coatings. Not worth 75$ IMHO. For 30 maybe but for that money I can find a nice old Japanese or USSR porro that will be quite a bit better.
For the 7x35 format I'd prefer a wide angle porro like a Tasco #400 (I don't have that one but a very similar Tasco super wide) or any 7x35 with 11° FoV or more. Those are really impressive. Quite a bit chunkier and heavier though.
The best old roof prism models in my modest collection are the ones with AK-prisms. I have a 7x50, 8x56 and 9x63. The 7x50 has more eye relief than most modern day binos and the 9x63 is great for astronomy. But I'd use none of them for birding. They are pure astronomy binos where size doesn't matter much.
That being said - I recently had a look through my aunt's old Hensoldt 8x56 (a dialyt style model) - and it's razor sharp. Perfectly corrected all the way to the edge. Also an AK-design. I'd buy one of those any day but the prices they go for are too high IMHO.

I had a Trilyte 8x40 as my second ever binocular purchase. I think they came out before 1972. I finished college in 1972 and I had it then. Kind of long and sort of awkward, but for its time (pre phase correction) it was as good as anything else to be found in a roof prism. I never had issue with the view, but it vanished on me by the early 1990's and i can't compare it to what you can get today. If it worked then, it would work today, but just beware what you have is a cheap binocular. Hard as heck to get serviced if needed. Nicholas Crista (former let Swif Optics head repair honcho) could not repair mine due to extinction of parts. I let him keep it for what parts it had that were usable.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back