• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four moths and a caterpillar for ID / confirmation please. (1 Viewer)

STS

1) A micro; photo taken in my garden, Norfolk, 17th July 2010.
2) Is this Pyrausta purpuralis? It seems that telling these from P. aurata isn't always straight forward. Blickling, Norfolk, 1st August 2010.
3) This must be a Vapourer caterpillar I think, although two of the 'brushes' are dark coloured. West Sussex, 9th August 2010.
4) I took this photo at Ranmore Common, Surrey, on 11th April 2011. I couldn't nail it down at the time but using the new micro guide I'm hoping it's Pancalia leuwenhoekella. Could anyone please confirm this?
5) A little black and white micro that I found on the outside of a window one evening. Norfolk, 20th April 2011.

Thanks for looking, Thomas

Attachments

• Micro,-17-7-10.jpg
    Micro,-17-7-10.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Pyrausta,-1-8-10.jpg
    Pyrausta,-1-8-10.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Vapourer-cat.,-9-8-10.jpg
    Vapourer-cat.,-9-8-10.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 31
  • Pancalia-leuwenhoekella,-11.jpg
    Pancalia-leuwenhoekella,-11.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Micro,-20-4-11.jpg
    Micro,-20-4-11.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
Jeez, a proper 'moment'! Apologies for double posting. If I knew how I'd delete the second one.

Embarrassedly, Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back