• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Freewebs.com not loading (1 Viewer)

JRE

Hi all.
I have recently set up a www.freewebs.com account, and created my own site. I tried to login this morning, and none of the pages would load. Not just my personal site, by I cannot even get on to the main site. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
Joe

Hi all.
I have recently set up a www.freewebs.com account, and created my own site. I tried to login this morning, and none of the pages would load. Not just my personal site, by I cannot even get on to the main site. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
Joe

It happens occaisonally. It will sort itself out - I rebooted my router and commie last time and that seemed to help too

I have rebooted PC, fiddled around with cookies etc but still no joy. Presumably this is just my connection as others can get on? Therefore surely there must be something I can do.

I have had problems with Freewebs, I use them for my astronomy website and have found exactly the problem you have, Joe. The editing pages are also dead slow, to the point of stopping altogether, at times. You can also only upload one photo at a time which is a stupid pain in the neck.
When it does work, though, Freewebs is very good.

Last edited:
I switched recently to Freewebs because I wished to have a full birding website, more readable than my current blog archive. Are there perhaps any better servers that I could use that would offer similar features?

Geocities is good: www.geocities.com. The very first incarnation of my birding site was on there. You need to register with a Yahoo account and if you can put up with ad bar down the right hand side (you can minimize it) Geocities is a good option. You do need to build the website off line though, and upload it via their site, with web editing software, although I think Geocities now has templates you can use.

Or there's Lycos. I use a paid account but they do offer ad-infested free accounts and templates.

The editing pages are also dead slow, to the point of stopping altogether, at times. You can also only upload one photo at a time which is a stupid pain in the neck.

I find it can be slow editing pages sometimes, but not usually too bad. Also, I upload several images at once t my site - and it's a free site, so I don't know why you can't.

I look after a Local Authority website and we always try to make sure each web page is no bigger than 150 kb - and this includes ALL images. One problem I've found with most people's efforts at web sites is that they don't realise that large images, or too many images on a page will cause really long loading times.

Last edited:
Vectis is probably referring to the blog? It is possible to upload multiple photos on a web page, but only one at a time on the blog, which is really tedious.

Hi all.
Cheers
Joe

Hi Joe
I have had a freewebs site for a few years now and on the whole have been very pleased. However there are a few occasions when I have experienced problems logging in. To get round this I go into someone else's freewebs site and click on the very small print at the bottom which advertises the freewebs site. This seems to 'cheat' the logging in on your own site problems.
I limit all my uploaded photos to 50kb.
Best wishes
Sue

I find it can be slow editing pages sometimes, but not usually too bad. Also, I upload several images at once t my site - and it's a free site, so I don't know why you can't.

There are two ways of uploading pictures: the single file uploader and the multiple file uploader. I have tried to use the multiple file uploader and have been redirected to a page with a smug message saying that, as a free user, you can only upload a singe file at a time and that to use the multiple uploader you have to be a 'premium user' (i.e. pay).

That's one reason I switched my birding site to Lycos and a full account. The other is that Freewebs was often impossible to log into.

That all said, apart from the uploading and slowness issues, Freewebs is actually quite nice when it's working. I like the templates and the site builder.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and advice. Eventually when I was able to get back on, I had a look through the freewebs.com main site and decided it might be an idea to install Firefox.
I did so, and although it has been fairly slow, I have not had any problems getting onto the site using that browser.
Cannot use multi-uploader, but I'm thinking about possibly get an individual domain instead of the current free sub-domain.
Site now up and running.
Cheers, Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back