• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frigatebird - Ghana (1 Viewer)

marcofioratti

This (admittedly very bad and heavily cropped) picture was taken in the early morning of august the 23rd near Ankobra rivermouth in southwestern Ghana. The bird soared for a few minutes over the beach and then disappeared southwards.

Since no frigatebirds appear in checklists of Ghana available online, I think the sighting could be of some interest.

My best guess is Ascension Frigatebird (Fregata aquila), that would also be the likeliest - or the least unlikely - frigatebird species in the Gulf of Guinea. Am I right?

Attachments

• frigatebird.jpg
    frigatebird.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 89
White on breast appears to extend onto axillaries suggesting Ascension Frigatebird (pale morph adult female). Very few records of either Magnificent or Ascension Frigatebirds in West Africa! Great sighting.

Thank you both. The only frigatebirds I had observed before were Magnificent Frigatebirds, and at first this bird didn't look substantially different through my binoculars. Then I noticed the tiny white protrusions on the axillaries and the extension of the white patch toward the belly that seemed to fit better an adult female Ascension Frigatebird. But, again, I've never seen one and I base my guess only on fieldguides.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back