• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghana Tour – January 29th to February 16th. (3 Viewers)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
Usually when going to Africa we drive ourselves or get a driver and then just get a guide for tricky forest birding but when we were researching Ghana we really wanted to camp in Ankasa and have a safety net on seeing the Picathartes so that pointed towards Ashanti African Tours. As we didn’t want an organised tour; we prefer a very small group as it is much easier to get on birds when just the two of us. Surprisingly a private tour based on the “Birds and Photography itinerary” was not much more expensive than the organised tour and compared very favourably to the 8 night Naturetrek (price only £200 more) that started the day we were leaving and which didn’t do Ankasa, this was based on best available accommodation in the area so it could be done much cheaper. Everywhere we stayed was pretty empty, Ebola seems to have put most people off travelling to West Africa despite the fact that Ghana and all its neighbours have been free of the disease, and so rates and availability is good. So we booked this tour including a 3 night beach extension at Cape Coast, Coconut Grove Resort.
For anyone interested in a break at short notice we notice that Accra airport are now doing Visa on arrival so no need to plan that in.

Another reason Sarah liked Ashanti African Tours was their commitment to conservation and community development initiatives and in particular the Picathartes Education and Conservation for Knowledge Fund. PECK aims to support the 3 communities which surround a small upper guinea rainforest that protects at least 24 nesting sites for this much sought after species. They will assist the communities in educating their children by paying for school and print fees, uniforms, books and supplies. We saw first-hand the start of a school building. Ultimately they hope that by showing commitment to the communities enabling them to see the immediate benefits of conserving the habitat they will help stop the illegal logging and hunting activities by locals that come from or pass through their communities.

Anyway, Day 1 did not get off to the best of starts. We arrived at Manchester Airport at 07.10 for our 8.50 flight to light snow falling. We asked at the check-in desk whether there were any delays but at that stage everything was OK and the 7.55 and 8.50 flights to Heathrow were on time. We were just judged to be too late to get the 7.55 so we went through to the lounge. Where we watched the snow get heavier and snow ploughs began making regular circuits to keep the runway and taxi areas free off snow. The 7.55 got off around 8.30 and our plane landed was in place at gate 141 with a new Departure time off 9.20, there were only about 5 planes ahead of us and 4 off them had loaded their passengers when all noticeboards departure times changed to “more information at 10.00” for all planes. At 10.00 it didn’t look good as those planes with passengers loaded disembarked them, and the board suddenly said more info at 11.00. We found out later the airport was useable but they couldn’t get the de-icing rigs out to clear the snow and ice off the planes (there are only two rigs at Manchester Airport). Our 4 hour transfer time at Heathrow wasn’t looking so generous now. At about 12.00 with the snow finally stopped and with the runway clear we were told that we would be amongst the first planes out about 13.00 – really tight for our connection but just possible. Anyway we were all loaded on the plane before 13.00 when the pilot told us we were number 4 for de-icing and hopefully we would be away soon, 40 minutes later and we were still on the ground with the pilot admitting he didn’t have a clue when they would clear our plane as the rig nearest us only did certain airlines and not BA. Long story short we sat on the plane until 16.00 before they cleared what snow was left from the plane, we knew we had now missed our connections so we emailed and texted the Ashanti Office and our Guide to tell them we would now probably be arriving tomorrow, ironically by this time most of the snow had melted – the plane finally took off around 17.00 and landed just before 18.00 it seemed that pretty much everyone on the plane had missed their connection, in some ways we were quite lucky as we had added an extra night before the tour to go to Shai Hills twice (due to problems with original Air Portugal flight which kept changing due to consolidation of West African flights) and then do the full tour as per the adapted itinerary.
To be fair to BA they handled the re-booking well (we were offered flights via Lagos or Johanesburg the next morning but they were only going to get in a hour or two earlier and were longer flights, so we stuck with getting the next day Accra direct flight and were given vouchers for transport to the local Sheraton Hotel and vouchers for hotel accommodation and meals. There would be no African birds songs tonight or tomorrow morning the only thing on offer was Attenborough’s Birds of Paradise on TV, which just reminded us of our trip to PNG. Only bird we saw was a Pied Wagtail on the trip back to Heathrow.

Fortunately everything went to plan the next day and we arrived on time (24 hours late) in Accra to be met by our guide Victor Owusu and shown to our vehicle a small bus driven by Appiah. The original vehicle had a problem with a wheel and as the organised tour that would have used the bus was cancelled and the next tour wasn’t starting until after we had left that would be our mode of transport for the next two and bit weeks.

Drive to Tema and Alexis Hotel took about 45 minutes but as it was nearly 22.00 there was no time for an evening meal, we just agreed the time for breakfast 5.15 and then leave for the Shai Hills at 5.45. We would come back for an early lunch and to pack. Our first full day with in Ghana, began with an early breakfast that was pretty uniform for the trip Omelette, Toast and some Marmalade with Tea and Coffee.

We then visit the Shai Hills reserve, an expanse of Savannah, grassland and woodland. The bird viewing here is really good we quickly see Common Wattle-eye, Black-shouldered Kite, Double Spurred Francolin, Common Wattle-eye and Western Grey Plantain-eater, a brief view of Stone Partridge but the light is very poor really overcast and initially quite dark. Then we see, Grey Hornbill, Violet and Green turacos, and then the recently split White-crowned Cliff Chat, which displays on a large rock to give good scope views while Rock martins fly overhead. Towards the bat cave also see Northern Puffback, White-throated bee-eaters are everywhere, Blue-bellied and Rufous-crowned rollers are also spotted albeit quite distant. We did see Brown Babblers and Senegal parrots but both were brief slightly obscured views. However the stars of the show were Barbet with Viellot’s, Bearded and Double-toothed all showing in pairs with a Yellow-fronted Tinkerbird calling repeatedly and eventually showing.

We had quite a gentle introduction to Bulbul’s with just Common, Simple and Leaflove to challenge us this morning. It was then back to the hotel for lunch before heading to Sukumona Lagoon and Winneba plain. At the lagoon we saw Black Heron, Western Reef Egret, Collared Pratincol, Curlew Sandpiper, Pied Kingfisher, Sanderling, Marsh Harrier, Greenshank and Marsh Sandpiper. On arrival at Winneba we looked on the burnt field for Lapwings and Coursers but all we spotted were Senegal Thick-knee and Wattled Plover, before a very unexpected Chestnut-bellied Starling flew onto a nearby Tree, Victor was quite excited and said that it shouldn’t be here it is about 3 or 4 hundred miles south of where is should be, so he had me take a few record shots as some of his colleagues at Ashanti doubted the sighting. We then saw a nice Oriole Warbler before crossing the road into another set of fields, where I final spotted a Lesser black-winged Lapwing, once we were all on it, it became clear it was not alone and we soon spotted another 5 birds in the area. It was then time to get moving and we headed for the Rainforest Lodge in near Kakum NP where we would spend the next three nights. Lodge is much better than its description in the Bradt guide to Ghana, they have obviously added some additional rooms and new facilities since the book was written. Food was good and they had a selection of beers to try over the coming nights. Tomorrow it it is off to the Canopy Walkway.

(Bold Red = lifer)

Attachments

• veillot barbet.JPG
    veillot barbet.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 92
  • snow ploughs manchester airport.JPG
    snow ploughs manchester airport.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 104
  • w t bee-eater.JPG
    w t bee-eater.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 89
  • bb roller.JPG
    bb roller.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 92
  • bearded barbets hiding.JPG
    bearded barbets hiding.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 92
Kakum Canopy Walkway

An early breakfast as we head for the world famous canopy walkway at Kakum National Park which is approximately a 15 minute drive from our guesthouse. We were there for first light to spend the most critical bird viewing hours 40 meters above the forest floor on the canopy walkway but rather than head up there immediately in the soft early morning light we headed onto one of the trails. When talking to Victor the previous day I mentioned that my no. 1 target bird was Rufous-sided Broadbill which I hoped to see displaying (Sarah’s is much more obvious with her choice - the Picathartes), anyway I recognised the call just after Victor did as and we were after the Broadbill, it took us about 10 minutes but we eventually got on the bird but frustratingly I just couldn’t get the camera to focus in the poor light and through quite a lot of branches in fact I actually lost it for a bit when trying to get it in focus for a shot, so I just decided to enjoy the bird for the next few minutes while it did its display on a mid-level branch. So an excellent start to the day and off we went to the walkway, with lots of heard Greenbul’s on the way. The canopy walkway is actually a series of walkways with 5 viewing platforms which are large enough to support Telescopes. The platforms gives a great view of the 360 km² Kakum National Park which protects secondary upper guinea tropical rainforest with some very rare species on offer.
When we climbed onto the first walkway we notice a group of birders on the 1st Platform (the only group we saw in 16 days), I think they were with Malimbe tours. Anyway they stayed on the same platform for the whole of the morning session and indeed the afternoon as one or more of their number didn’t fancy the height and the swaying. We just went where the birds were which was mainly around the two furthest platforms, the only constraint was that Sarah didn’t fancy watching from the walkway only the platforms, so we tended to quickly cross the walkways. Anyway we were set up on Platform 3 by 7.00 o’clock just as the birds were starting to get active. First up was a White-crested Hornbill in the tree beneath us, then a selection of barbets mainly Bare-faced but with a single Bristle-nosed and Yellow-billed amongst them all were new. It was then time for some handsome Yellow-mantled Weavers nesting in a nearby tree and showing well, plus our first Fire-bellied Woodpecker (record only shot as it wouldn’t oblige with the light). Then in a bare tree Victor got the scope on a Blue Cuckoo Shrike and also in the same tree were Tamborine Dove and African Green Pigeon. Next birds t brighten our morning were Red-headed and Red-vented Malimbe’s. On this platform Victior tried calling in Serpernt Eagle and Long-tailed Hawk but nothing was doing yet although he reckoned he heard them in the distance. Victor suggested we spend osme time in the two central platforms as that was good for some smaller species, sure enough we had no sooner got to the first platform than two Preuss’s Golden-backed Weavers appeared and we then found Violet-backed Hyliota and Green Hylia. Then the first Rosy Bee-eater flew over, I was expecting only flight views but Victor told us he knew of a tree where birds often perched that we would try for later. The next platforms was where we had Blue Malkoha(yellowbill), Little Grey, Usshers and Fraser’s flycatchers, before it was time to head back to the furthest platform where after some calling we got good flight views of Congo Serpent Eagle and then Grey-headed, White-breasted and Chestnut-breasted Negrofinch helped keep us busy before at about 9.30 the noisy local parties came to visit, they didn’t stay long I think it is just something for the locals to say they have done, only other tourist were a very friendly group from Iran. When it quietened down we soon added , Grey LongbillVelvet mantled Drongos and Willcocks honeyguide. The raptors were thin on the ground but we did add Red-necked Buzzard, African harrier hawk and Cuckoo hawk. While we saw the birds well photo opportunities were a little disappointing. We spoke briefly to the other group in the car park and they didn’t do nearly as well as us.

We headed back to the Lodge for Lunch but not before Sarah had a tumble on the footpath down and gave her self a bloody nose and a couple of nasty bruises which have only just cleared up, to make matters worse she missed a lovely Blue-head Wood Dove. During the heat of afternoon just did a bit of birding around our guesthouse where we added Fraser’s Sunbird.

Attachments

• DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    825.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0768.JPG
    DSCN0768.JPG
    975.7 KB · Views: 102
  • kingfisher threesome.JPG
    kingfisher threesome.JPG
    579.6 KB · Views: 104
  • v turaco.JPG
    v turaco.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 86
  • y m weaver2.JPG
    y m weaver2.JPG
    825.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Looking forward to comparing with my trip. Looks like we overlapped by 3 days. You already have a couple that evaded me the whole time.

Looking forward to comparing notes

Looking forward to comparing with my trip. Looks like we overlapped by 3 days. You already have a couple that evaded me the whole time.

Glad you made it - did you have to do a private tour?

We also missed a few birds including the last one you saw Capuchin Babbler (heard only). We ended with three of our top 20 targets heard only.

Glad you made it - did you have to do a private tour?

We also missed a few birds including the last one you saw Capuchin Babbler (heard only). We ended with three of our top 20 targets heard only.

Yes, I paid the difference to go it alone in the end and honestly think it was a good result because it was hard enough get in on the birds in the forest with the guides individual attention!

In terms of missed species, we didn't do well with the large casqued hornbills early in the trip and toward the back end, no sign of Nimba or Tessman's flycatcher nor Yellow throated and Thick billed cuckoo. A hand full of heard only or untickable view birds as well but came out with about 350 total species.

More details in my report which I intend to make a start on this afternoon.

African cup of Nations - Ghana makes some noise

We leave the Lodge about 15.00 and plan to re-visit the canopy in the early evening in the hope of seeing large hornbills come in to roost. First we take a walk along the trails to the right of the reception and canteen. First up we see Blue-billed Malimbe, then a Lemon-bellied Crombec, before I spot two small birds fly high into a tree, I was just thinking that looks like African Piculet when Victor said “I heard Piculet and they don’t normally show up here”. I pointed to the tree where I had seen them land and eventually we also got Sarah on the birds, I did get a very poor record shot that I’ll try to get some detail from the shadows on as I don’t think these are much photographed. It was then into some of the scrubby areas where we tried to for and saw well a Golden Greenbul and then a Blue-headed Crested Flycatcher both of which were deep in the undergrowth and it was only due to the fact that we were a twosome that I think we saw the birds so well then out in the open a Yellow-browed Camaropetra. A great little spell of birding but with time ticking on it was time to head up to the canopy walkway. It was noticeably quieter than this morning an in the first hour all we saw we Levaillant’s and Emerald Cuckoo, Slender-billed Greenbul and Tit-Hylia plus Bare-faced Barbets. It was then we heard a huge roar – we had forgotten Ghana were playing in the African Nations quarter final and the game was being showed live in the Reception / Restaurant area – we assumed rightly than Ghana must have scored (they had) although we were a reasonable distance away, every time there was an incident, another goal or a near miss we heard the noise, if we could hear so could the birds and I suspect that was why not a single large Hornbill came in that evening. It wasn’t a total disaster through, we added Blue-throated Brown Sunbird, Black-capped and Sharpes Apalis; Black-winged and Western Black-headed Oriole. Again we did better than the other group who remained on the first platform again.
Other wildlife included Spot-nosed Monkeys and Fire-footed rope Squirrel.

Just before dark we went back to the area near reception where Victor reckoned there was a chance of three type of Owls that frequent the area near the restaurant to feed on local rats – but I can only speculate that the earlier noise had also scared them off to another part of the park as we didn’t get any response to our calls.

So back to the Lodge and time for a change before dinner, which was anything so long as it was Chicken (to be fair they did get Shrimps the next night and had Beef when we returned the following week. Good news was that they had selection of local beers, having tried Club last night, tonight it was Star tonight.

Attachments

• vm drongo.JPG
    vm drongo.JPG
    571.3 KB · Views: 66
  • black heron.JPG
    black heron.JPG
    803.6 KB · Views: 72
  • bw stilt.JPG
    bw stilt.JPG
    729 KB · Views: 65
  • lg sbird - Copy.JPG
    lg sbird - Copy.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 69
Another bit of Kakum

This morning we visited the Antwikwa section of Kakum National Park for early morning birding hoping to get good perched images of Rosy and Bee-eater’s but first we went to a place where Victor thought we were pretty certain to get close-up views of White-spotted Fluff-tail, Victor tried to whistle the bird in but despite calling back and getting very close the bird just refused to break cover and show itself this was disappointing as Victor had me set up for what was going to be a point blank photo. Consolation was provided in seeing a Brown Illadopsis.

When we took to the roadside we quickly got amongst the birds with a great scope view of Blue-throated Roller with the diagnostic throat clearly visible, then a flyover Piping Hornbills, it was then Tinkerbird time we saw both Red and Yellow-rumped and then Speckled Tinkerbird, and then a Grey Longbill. We also managed to see Forest Chestnut-winged and Copper Tailed Starlings and then a Black-throated Coucal which showed well, this really excited Victor as he said it was one of the hardest birds to see and that quite a few African listers had missed it despite trying for it for a couple of days. Victor then went off to see if he could find the tree where Rosy Bee-eaters often perch, in his absence we found a Blue-headed Coucal and a Green Crombec. We heard Victor whistle and indicate for us to join him, in a huge bear tree a Rosy Bee-eater was perched but before we got there it flew and all there was to see was a Fraser’s Forest Flycatcher and an Olive Sunbird. Fortunately just around the track we caught up with half a dozen Rosy-Bee-eaters which entertained us for half an hour, making forays to catch insects but always returning so that even though the light wasn’t perfect I could get a few decent photos.
Appiah had driven the bus around and after a short drive we were finding more birds, Black and Chestnut Weaver (split from Viellot’s Black - so lifers), Maxwell’s Black Weaver and African Pygmy Kingfisher were seen before a short drive to the Pra River where on the sandbanks under the bridge we spotted the beautiful Pied-throated Blue Swallow (aka White-throated B-S), other birds hear included Rock Pratincol, Senegal Thick-knee and Red-winged Prinia on the way back to Kakum we stopped at a sandpit where a large number of Preuss’s Cliff Swallows put on a display. A pretty good morning aprat from missing the Fluff-tail and it was time to head back for lunch.

Attachments

• african piculet.JPG
    african piculet.JPG
    790.2 KB · Views: 71
  • fire-bellied woodpecker.JPG
    fire-bellied woodpecker.JPG
    725 KB · Views: 70
  • pair rosy bee-eaters.JPG
    pair rosy bee-eaters.JPG
    896.8 KB · Views: 80
  • rosy bee-eaters.JPG
    rosy bee-eaters.JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 74
  • rosy-bee-eaters3.JPG
    rosy-bee-eaters3.JPG
    962.7 KB · Views: 63
Kakum continued

This afternoon we concentrated our attention on the many trails within and surrounding the park in the Abrufo Farm Bush area and then from the road behind the Stingless Bee Centre. First we tried again but in a different areas for the Fluff-tail, a bird calls back almost immediately but doesn’t doesn’t come near, but we then hear the calls of Blue-shouldered Robin Chat and Forest Robin, the Robin Chat has a lovely series of songs and repeats all of our whistles, just when you think that the bird has to show, the song from seemingly being in the nearest trees is suddenly 20 yards away, then it comes close again but the Fluff-tail also calls and Victor reckons it is about to break cover and cross a little ford on the stream, so we whistle for the White-spotted Fluff-tail and sure enough it walks across where we hoped, but in the undergrowth and with little light all I get is three poor record shots (the best attached). The Robin-chat is still toying with us but Victor says people rarely see this one and our attention is grabbed by a Red-cheeked Wattle-eye which we do see quite well, then a Sooty Boubou. We never did see the Robin Chat although we heard the distinctive song quite a bit. It was time to bird alongside the road and we stopped near a marshy area where we got some really nice birds firstly a Western Bluebill (missed that in Gambia twice), then a fleeting glimpse of Black-bellied Seedeater, which came out and showed better to Sarah and I when Victor had later gone to get the bus to come for us, there were also Blue-billed Firefinch and a Common Wattle-eye that showed nicely on an open tree. Then a Blue-headed Coucal flew in. Only birds of prey were Yellow-billed Kite and the Red-chested Goshawk (or Goose hawk as Sarah thought Victor had called it).
We then drove to an open area where we tried again for Owls and Nightjars but yet we were unsuccessful again with Victor wondering whether the full moon was responsible.

Another early start this morning as we visit the Abrufo Forest section of Kakum National Park. It was actually a very quiet morning with just Rosy Bee-eater, Green Pigeon, Blue-throated Roller, Blue-breasted Kingfisher and Pied Hornbill keeping us interested before we connected with a couple of Grenbul’s in Slender-billed and White-throated.
We leave after the morning session and set off for Ankasa via a stop for Lunch at the Castle in Cape Coast – food is good and we add a couple of seabirds Royal Tern, Gull-billed Tern and two slightly unexpected Gannets (Cape we were told although they were a little distant).

Attachments

• levaillant cuckoo.jpg
    levaillant cuckoo.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 68
  • wattle-eye.JPG
    wattle-eye.JPG
    747.7 KB · Views: 70
  • ghana (30).JPG
    ghana (30).JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 96
Ah Black-throated coucal. I decided not to put it on my list, had two fleeting glimpses of what William assured me was this bird.

Didn't know Vieillot's black weaver was split either but a lifer for me either way.

On to Ankasa

Another early start this morning as we visit the Abrufo Forest section of Kakum National Park. It was actually a very quiet morning with just Rosy Bee-eater, Green Pigeon, Blue-throated Roller, Blue-breasted Kingfisher and Pied Hornbill keeping us interested before we connected with a couple of Grenbul’s in Slender-billed and White-throated the last bird of the morning was a Johanna’s Sunbird a much better looking bird than shown in the field guide.
We leave after the morning session and set off for Ankasa via a stop for Lunch at the Castle in Cape Coast – food is good and we add a couple of seabirds Royal Tern, Gull-billed Tern and two slightly unexpected Gannets (Cape we were told although they were a little distant).

On the way to Ankasa we stopped at some mangroves and pools near Beyin, hear in Mangroves the target is a range restricted Sunbird, however first bird we see is Collared Sunbird, then a Brown Sunbird, a Malachite Kingfisher before on top of a bush appears a Reichenbach’s Sunbird. After we tick these off we cross the road to look properly at the lagoon. We quickly see Orange Weaver, Pied Kingfisher, Purple Heron and Common Sandpiper before Sarah spots 3 distant Hartlaub’s Ducks, as we walk along the lagoon we notice another groups much closer, well close enough for record shots so one less bird to try for at Ankasa. It is then on to Ankasa for what we hope will be a major highlight of our time in Ghana. Ankasa is Ghana’s only pristine wet evergreen upper guinea rainforest a rarely visited beautiful forest protecting some wonderful species. We arrive in the late afternoon where our camp has already be set up, two 5 berth tents one for us and one for Victor / Appiah. There is power

The hope is that by camping in Ankasa we maximize our chance of seeing the best species found here. If you don’t camp the nearest accommodation is 90 minutes from the park entrance. It is near dark by the time we get our stuff in the tent so it is just a look around the camp for Owls before we take a cold shower and then eat a really good meal cooked by Francis ( a newish birding guide but with little work happy to organise the camp and doing the cooking. No sign of owls round the camp but overnight we hear Akun Eagle Owl and African Wood Owl in the distance and when I get up to go to the toilet block I see a Red-Chested Owlet fly right over my head

Attachments

• ghana (35).JPG
    ghana (35).JPG
    740.5 KB · Views: 72
  • ghana (48).JPG
    ghana (48).JPG
    734.9 KB · Views: 71
  • ghana (141).JPG
    ghana (141).JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 63
  • orange weaver.JPG
    orange weaver.JPG
    966.2 KB · Views: 65
  • sen coucal.JPG
    sen coucal.JPG
    652.1 KB · Views: 66
Ankasa - A little more about the camp

Ashanti have recently purchased 5 berth tents with 2 separate sleeping compartments and use them as 2 berth tents giving additional space to guests, so there is plenty of space for luggage. We used our hard case as a seat to make getting dressed etc easier although the height of the tents is almost 6 feet so you could stand to put on boots and equipment on.
There is actually a covered sitting area with a couple of tables where meals are served and where in the heat of the afternoon you can relax on a put-up bed. There is power when the generator is on so you can charge up camera batteries and phones and there is a fridge so you can buy a cool beer for about £1 for a large bottle.
Food was really good and plentiful, after the first meal we said that one meal would have been enough for both. There was also variety but as might be expected no choice – with beef stew or chicken dish served with both rice and chips and side veg, really tasty and the soup was absolutely brilliant.
Under normal circumstance the camp would be fully set up but as there haven’t been many customers the guys arrived the day before we did to set up the camp and ensure everything was ready. The tent had two proper latex matresses with sheets and pillow provided and we were also given towels, toilet paper and soap on arrival (we had taken our own but didn’t need them). There is a block of showers and toilets at the main reception area and the tents are up a walkway a couple of minutes away alongside some out-building and the kitchen.
They had set one of the toilets and one shower up for ladies but with only us there it was pretty unnecessary. The only downside was cold showers but that wasn’t much of a hardship as after the heat and humidity of the rainforest it was nice to cool off. For us the camping set up was great but if there was 20 people I’m not sure that things would be so pleasant.

The road after the camp area is pretty rough and only really passable with a high clearance Land Rover or similar vehicle, it also seemed like no-one had gone very far along the road recently as on our first morning we had to clear some undergrowth to go in a side track to get under a fallen tree and then climb over a bigger fallen tree to get even to the first pool. In the afternoon we had the guys come with us with a chain saw (an earlier attempt failed) to get the trees moved we birded nearby then drove up later.

Anyway back to the birding, once I mentioned to Victor that I had seen the Owlet last night we tried immediately to call it from the camp, we only succeeded in bringing in Olive and Collared Sunbirds; but Victor new of a nearby territory so we headed up the track and quickly saw a Red Chested Owlet albeit at the top of a tree, three times we saw the bird each time being mobbed by Olive Sunbirds but it just wouldn’t come down from the treetops. Then Victor was attracted by the call of a Yellow-casqued Hornbill, we managed quite a few flight views as we scrambled through the trees and finally a perched view through lots of branches, great to see this impressive large hornbill. Although the birding wasn’t super quick we were seeing some great birds and next up was one I thought we would only hear but we managed to call in an Olive Long-tailed Cuckoo and see it really well but before we had finished enjoying it Victor heard the Dusky Long-tailed Cuckoo and tried to get that as well, we should have settled for a bird in the hand or at least a near tree as the other Cuckoo didn’t show despite calling and so joins the list of heard only birds.

Next up was to finally see a Chestnut Wattle-eye, he was in a little ditch by the roadside and we managed good views but photography was impossible, in fact with the exception of the area near the camp and the pools photography was very difficult. Other birds seen as we walked to the first pool were Western Nicator, Red-bellied Paradise Flycatcher, Chestnut-capped Flycatcher and then a Pale-breasted Illadopsis that actually showed well (typical - it was the only Illadopis we had seen before). We then headed up to a clearing where we tried to call Long-tailed Hawk (I won’t mention those words again because we tried so often it would be boring if I mentioned it on every occasion) and we had to make do with an African Cuckoo Hawk and I spotted a fly over Yellow-billed Turaco which Sarah missed. It was then onto the first pool where the birds were a little more confiding first up was a Striated Heron, then Blue-billed Malimbe, before we saw three great Kingfishers Blue-Breasted, Shining Blue posing then successfully fishing and final a White-bellied Kingfisher, that was just about it for the morning time to get back to camp for some lunch and a couple of hours relaxation. Over lunch the only bird seen was Finch’s Flycatcher Thrush.

As mentioned earlier we set off with the chain-saw gang, they had been up the track once to remove the trees but failed as the saw jammed during cutting of the second tree, we would walk ahead having climbed over the tree and when the road was clear they would catch us up. It actually worked quite well as still within hearing distance of the chainsaw we heard and then saw thanks to Victors patience a skulking Forest Robin that eventually gave up a good view. It was actually really quiet this afternoon we did see Cameroon Sombre Greenbul and Red-tailed Bristlebill near the Bamboo Cathedral ( this area was obviously devastated in recent floods as the benches, bridge and platforms are broken away from the original placements. We did get an Olive-green Cameroptera near the unused Camp site and Sabine’s Spinetail overhead.

It was pretty dead by the pools with only Hartlaub’s Duck, Striated Heron and Pied Hornbill around. Victor thought we should wait for dark around Pool 2 or 3 but then changed his mind and said lets go to the first pool. It was an inspired choice as we soon heard a White-crested Tiger Heron, and saw some movement in the trees very close to us but despite trying to get a view all we saw was some movement although we could clearly hear the bird, any disappointment was soon gone when Victor pointed towards a Rail, I had already seen it but Sarah was soon on it, then a second rail emerged, so we were watching two Nkulengu Rails (one of my three top targets for the trip) I did try for a picture but it was now almost pitch black and the bird was a bit away so not really recognisable. We then had some other movements in the gloom but unfortunately they were a only Jacana and Striated Heron not the hoped for Tiger Heron (another Heard only).

We stopped twice on the way back to camp to try for Owls, once at the unused camp site and once at a marshy area but we didn’t even get a return call from the Akun Eagle Owl. We did see Maxwell’s Duiker, Olive Colobus, and a Giant Pouch Rat.

Attachments

• cuckoo hawk.JPG
    cuckoo hawk.JPG
    521.3 KB · Views: 91
  • ghana (128).JPG
    ghana (128).JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 70
  • shining blue kingf.JPG
    shining blue kingf.JPG
    829.6 KB · Views: 74
  • shining blue and swallow.JPG
    shining blue and swallow.JPG
    873.8 KB · Views: 71
  • striated heron.JPG
    striated heron.JPG
    974.8 KB · Views: 70
You're still a day ahead of my report but your first day in Ankasa blows mine away! Apparently there hadn't been much rain and a lot of birds had retreated from the pools. We put a lot of hours in for White breasted kingfisher without a trace and neither sight nor sound of the bittern or any rails.

Feeling rather jealous!

What weather is best ?

You're still a day ahead of my report but your first day in Ankasa blows mine away! Apparently there hadn't been much rain and a lot of birds had retreated from the pools. We put a lot of hours in for White breasted kingfisher without a trace and neither sight nor sound of the bittern or any rails.

Feeling rather jealous!

Rob

Victor said that it was too dry on the trails and after some heavy rain that we would have had better views of Greebuls, Bristlebill's, Illadopsis etc in fact anything that feeds on ants and insects as they would feed on the ground oblivious to us. That said, the track was very wet with lots of puddles and mud so I didn't really understand, although I suppose a couple of days of dry weather had allowed the leaves to dry out so that it was noisy walking through the forest. I'm sure you got a few birds that we missed as while quality of birds was good numbers were not huge.

David

Last edited:
So often when I read reports from areas I've not visited the names just blend together and remain meaningless. This is not all the case with your wonderful report! Add to that not just a sighting, but an actual pic of a Flufftail . . . fantastic!

Looking forward to reading more

Cheers
Mike

Thanks

So often when I read reports from areas I've not visited the names just blend together and remain meaningless. This is not all the case with your wonderful report! Add to that not just a sighting, but an actual pic of a Flufftail . . . fantastic!

Looking forward to reading more

Cheers
Mike

Glad your enjoying it.
Flufftail shot was not as good as I was hoping for, in the morning had the bird appeared where Victor predicted the light would have been perfect for afull frame shot ;)
that said we were just happy to see it after missing it twice before.

Bloody camera and lens mount

We decided to walk some of the trails just off the road before the 2nd campsite this morning. We finally managed a couple of photographs of Blue-headed Wood Dove this was bird that Sarah missed when she had her fall at Kakum, we then had a little mixed wave, both Sarah and I missed Rufous-winged Illadopsis, but we did see Yellow-bearded, Western bearded and Slender-billed Greenbul, and as consolation both Sarah and I got on a Red-fronted Antpecker one of only a few birds that Victor didn’t get on. It was then very quiet before we had Red-tailed Greenbul, and then in quick succession three birds with white on the tail all on the same plate (no. 97 of field guide) all seen just off the same track first up was White-tailed Ant Thrush, then Finch’s Flycatcher Thrush and then within 10 minutes a White-tailed Alethe, what are the odds in all three being in the same area. On the walk to the Jeep we got a powerful Crowned Eagle flyover.

We then headed back to camp for an early lunch via the river and the viewing area, where we found a Cobra in the shelter and then 2 Black Bee-eaters unfortunately they were just silhouettes against the sky no matter was exposure I tried so record shot only photos just don't do this gorgeous bird justice, but shown as they were birds that we had seen before but not put on our list. I’ll explain in Uganda after walking for over 6 hours to finally catch up with a troop of Mountain Gorillas we were just about to go down to the nearest viewing point when a Black Bee-eater flew into a nearby tree, but our 1 hour with the Gorillas was about to start so we didn’t even properly look at them as our armed guide said we would get them on the way back or tomorrow, sod’s law we never did. So finally years later they make it on to the list.
After Lunch at the camp we say our good-byes, take a few photos and head off back the way we came. Stopping to see the Black Bee-eaters but with light no better the only benefit is that we finally see Melancholy (Gabon) Woodpecker having heard it a few times.
First stop on the drive is Brenu Beach, an area of grassland savannah, here we quickly see a Marsh Tchagra, our main target and it come out and sits on top of a bush I reach for the camera. It says card full, so I switch cards, then battery is dead, turns out I’ve taken 600+ images of the seat and exhausted the battery and I’ve left all the spares in the bus 100M away (bloody idiot or what), finally get a new battery to go with new memory card but the Tchagra will not play ball and now keeps itself hidden and doesn’t respond to calls. Other birds seen were first Common Swift and only Alpine Swift of the trip and a Marsh Harrier.
Rather than head direct to the guesthouse an hour before darkness we arrive at Brimso Water Treatment work to try for some Night birds, Victor told us later that if Ankasa lets him down for night birds he will often come here. At the dam we see Lesser Striped, Mosque and Barn Swallow and then on the water edge Marsh and Common Sandpiper, there are meant to be Finfoot around but as this isn’t on our target list seen before a few times we try instead for Latham’s Forest Francolin after Victor hears a bird calling, we get the bird really close but it just seems to disappear (Victor reckons that even if you are nearly standing on it, it is difficult to see so yet another Heard only). It is now time to head up to the track to hopefully see the nightjars. First up is a Plain Nightjar that flies over, we see another perched by the roadside, then a Long-tailed Nightjar perches on the wire, but that isn’t the target (Victor says we will see more of them in Mole – we didn’t) instead we focus on a Black-shouldered Nightjar which is a speciality of the area. Victor manages to keep it in his torch beam and follow it onto the wire, it is now pitch black and to get even a record shot I need a slow exposure I try to focus the camera and the thing just wobbles on the tripod, the tripod mount foot had worked itself free of the ring, bloody annoying but at least I enjoyed the bird and anyway it was an overhead shot on the wire so wouldn’t have been that great I told myself. I decide to leave the camera, etc. on the bus as we headed to the next spot – on route Appiah pointed out another Plain Nightjar as we stopped at the next spot. We walked down a path to a clearing, Victor called once and there was a Fraser’s Eagle Owl sitting at eye-level right in front of us, it sat there for ages, then Victor looked at me and said “where’s your camera”, -“in the bus” (I hadn’t even brought the SX50 for a record shot or bit of video). Still a great sighting and 4 new night birds in an hour wasn’t bad.
We then continued back to the Rainforest Lodge for our evening meal, checklist and to reflect on a productive time at Ankasa.

Attachments

• black bee-eater.JPG
    black bee-eater.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 66
  • black bee-eaters.JPG
    black bee-eaters.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 67
  • blue-headed wood dove.JPG
    blue-headed wood dove.JPG
    956.3 KB · Views: 65
  • cobtra.JPG
    cobtra.JPG
    837.3 KB · Views: 76
  • camp crew.JPG
    camp crew.JPG
    886.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Thanks - and agree

Good read so far guys....but are you sure you've named the 1st pic in #13 correctly.....? ;)
I don't know what I was thinking - clearly not Cuckoo Hawk.
Looking at it on screen now it looks like Gabar Goshawk but from memory it doesn't occur at Kakum and we didn't see one day photo was taken I'll need to look at the field guide and notebooks when I get home.

Attachments

• g goshawk.JPG
    g goshawk.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back