• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

Well they seem to have all gone now, but at least I had some very satisfying encounters, including a juv in my own garden. Here's an adult bird from last week.

Attachments

• Y Waxwingsmall.jpg
    Y Waxwingsmall.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 148
stark simplicity, and stunning in that, no flash, just the facts. They did not show up around here in the usual place this year.

Absolutely fabulous Tim! Those Owls. I. too, like the one in the middle. Maybe because it has more information. It's stunning. I am slowly getting back into the forum. So very good to be back!!

Yo Tim- are you on this well-but-not-well seal yet?

"12:13 18/02/10 Mammal News: Bearded Seal in Orkney at Finstown slipway at mid-day; showing well but possibly not well"

Bearded Seal Pup

Ha - you don't miss much Ed!
Just took an hour off for lunch and headed towards Finstown. I had heard the animal wasn't looking great but it seemed fine to me - the hint of pink around the chops had been interpreted as blood, but it just looked like local colour to me - it certainly wasn't bleeding.
It lay there soaking up the gorgeous sun and from time to time would lift and stretch its left forelimb - a beautiful action which showed off the chocolate splodge on the upperside, as in the drawing.
It looks like a youngster - it had lost a chunk of fur off the top of its head, but it looked like adult fur underneath. Very cute! and very fat!!!

Attachments

• bearded seal pup.jpg
    bearded seal pup.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 110
In awe as always Tim, I've been watching, just not contributing lately! Think I'm back in the land of the living now though.

Just caught that fat lump of lovelyness, enjoying the sunshine as only a seal can.

Mike

I love how you've caught the owl's facial expressions, Tim -superb! Another question, mate: hope I've not asked you this, but what grade pencil are you using?
I've just started using a 2B after a couple of year's with 4B and Il ike the more controlled line I can get. I don't know if to try a B next. As you guys keep saying, it's all trial and error.

Russ

Eyup Russ - I generally draw with a 6B - sometimes 4B but whatever comes to hand really. The owl sketches are A3 sized so the line will look narrower and maybe more controlled on reduction.
What I'd say is definitely try different grades of pencil but probably more important, try different types of paper. For instance a 6B on 135gsm cartridge paper will look and behave very differently on Saunders Watercolour paper, or my preferred sketchbook at the moment Fabriano Accademia. There's much more dust and residue on the watercolour paper and a much darker line results on the Fabriano. A good way to experiment would be to buy a selection of full sheets from a decent art shop (can you get to Pinders at the bottom of the Moor, Sheffield?) and cut/tear them into quarters. Get a couple of drawing board clips and an A3 sized piece of 6mm mdf and away ye go to Worsborough or Wath. Some you'll hate but you may stumble upon the perfect partner.
Keep us informed, please.

I never thought about the paper, Tim. For the last 18 month I've used four quid WH Smiths 140 gsm sketchbooks which I have a laminated cover and a fairly hard-wearing. I'll definitely look into this.

Cheers

Russ

What I meant to say (I was on the beer last night!) was that I'm not familiar with Pinders, Tim. I know Sheff centre fairly well but I've never come across an art shop. I'll have to google it! The Fabriano Accademia sketchbook you mention; do I get these from pinders? If not could you please tell me where else? I'll try owt to help me draw like that!

Thanks again

Russ

Here's a link Russ - I don't know what Pinders have but they are an excellent supplier - you could also try Jackson's Art via the web and 'GreatArt' too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fabriano-Vene...Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item2eaaf7a25c

I'd still advocate you try as many papers as poss - you may find something you fall in love with.
Here's Pinders:
http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/c/apinder-ltd/26019733

Bearded Seal, lucky you! Sketch is wonderful, looks rather contented to me. Superb record of this rare mammal...

I love the waxwing, I saw some in a tree last year and tried to get my OH to stop but we were on our way somewhere in a hurry :(
Otherwise I have never seen one up close.
And the seal made me smile, lovely sketch, lovely seal and you have reminded me that someone very kindly sent me a gorgeous image of a seal should I wish to use it......

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back