• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (12 Viewers)

timwootton said:
Jomo - Just been back on your website. Firstly the link you have as a signature doesn't take you direct - I'm posting another one to se if that works for people wanting to see your stuff (very highly recommended, anyone reading this) - www.jmoudesluys.com and I also can't seem to navigate around the site other than the (wonderful) sketckbooks element - are you re-designing or is there some server problem (or is it just me????).
The website frontispiece is stunning and I would love to see more - but I can't!!
Let me know what's happening, please.

Same here, but the sketches are bloody excellent, absolute fantastic! I'd love to see them in a higher resolution though (I know, some people are never satisfied! ;) ).

timwootton said:
Jomo - Just been back on your website. Firstly the link you have as a signature doesn't take you direct - I'm posting another one to se if that works for people wanting to see your stuff (very highly recommended, anyone reading this) - www.jmoudesluys.com and I also can't seem to navigate around the site other than the (wonderful) sketckbooks element - are you re-designing or is there some server problem (or is it just me????).
The website frontispiece is stunning and I would love to see more - but I can't!!
Let me know what's happening, please.

Bah, I know -- I've had the site over a year now and keep intending to finish it (I'm a software developer, so at the end of the day the last thing I generally want to do is write more code). I recently dug up a few decent open source templates that I intend to use to revamp it and maybe get it finished, but I need to teach myself a little CSS first. Thanks, though!

Just popping in for a short while. Finished work at six this evening and have been painting till just now, both on the blackbird and winter magpie. Going to crack open a bottle of heineken and relax while my eyes slowly work their way back into their sockets!
Paintings coming along nicely, foliage nearing completion on the blackbird. have background done on magpie, trying to keep it loose, quick brushstrokes of blended acrylic wash. Will download pictures on my thread shortly, though the colour might not be great due to artificial light...

Last edited:
Hi Alan - just had a peek at the paintings on your thread (which is -
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=68130 - if there's anyone not aware of it). The blackbird piece works wonderfully well - very rare to get a painting with the bird turned almost completely away (there's usually a turned head into profile), so this is particularly brave. Design is excellent and I think it's a top, top piece.
The maggie looks to be goping in the right direction - the loose underpaint ought to give the finished piece a certain vibrancy, assuming it doesn't get 'smoothered' in more paint - We'll wait and see!!!
Good stuff.

Buzzard-Alan-I have enjoyed browsing through your sketches and the magpie and blackbird paintings are coming along. I agree with Tim about the position of the blackbird being brave, but you are pulling it off and I will be interested in seeing how they turn out.

I have a question for all of you sketch artists. I find it is very difficult to get much field sketching done. I am usually in a hurry because people are waiting for me either up the trail, or at home. My time is limited. The best I can do is take as many photos as I can, observe the bird as much as I can, and then when I get home, I can sketch from the photos. (There are actually a number of birds I have yet to use in my pottery or sculpture because I haven't enough personal field observation on them)
Do most of you use scopes for the sketching? Are your eyes trained well enough that it is easy to glance at a bird and get a rough idea of its form, and then you are able to move on from there?
I am curious and feel a little foolish asking these questions, but I've decided to be brave and voice a bit of ignorance. Please don't stop serving up the drinks for me. I am getting a little frustrated for the lack of time I have for this part of my work and am wondering if there are any things I haven't taken in account.
be gentle...

:gn:

best
Elizabeth

in answer to Birdpotter.....

Dont feel at all foolish, its a good question, a little hard to answer properly...
I think it is fair to say that the majority of bird artists use photo references, personally I will use them at times to back up field sketches, which may be incomplete due to restricted time before a bird dissapeared, or often it can be immensly helpful for background detail and tones. Most of the time though I will work mainly from field sketches as they provide me with much more...
I think when you field sketch a lot your eye becomes quicker at taking in details of shape and appearance. Also your eye is moving over the subject as it turns and moves and you gain an appreciation of the bird in a fully dimensional way, its shape, volume, mannerisms, movements, its whole jizz. To answer your question, the answer is yes, given time a few glances at a subject will be enough to get its outline dowm on paper, but this takes a lot of practise. Photos just dont convey this and that is why if you have not spent time sketching or at least watching a species in the field you will never be able to convey the birds essential vitality on paper or canvas.
I think field sketching combined with a few photos is enormously helpful. Finished work can also be stunning from field sketches alone. Though it is possible to work from photos alone if you are familiar with the species I think that working on an unfamiliar species from a photo is doomed to a degree of failure. As an exercise it may help in areas like mixing paint etc. but I do feel that copying a photo directly and as accurately as possible is a little futile, given that the photo already exists.
I field sketch a lot, but this means I had to change one aspect of my birding. I generally bird alone now, as it is hard to sketch when in company. I stop whereever I see something of interest to me and others are often interested in pressing on for more species. I think to sketch properly this is required. I do occassionally bird with others, but always get little done. Twitching rarities is an exeption as you can usually sit relatively undisturbed and sketch away.
Hope this helps! (and that I have not meanderered off topic;)

timwootton said:
Hi Alan - just had a peek at the paintings on your thread (which is -
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=68130 - if there's anyone not aware of it). The blackbird piece works wonderfully well - very rare to get a painting with the bird turned almost completely away (there's usually a turned head into profile), so this is particularly brave. Design is excellent and I think it's a top, top piece.
The maggie looks to be goping in the right direction - the loose underpaint ought to give the finished piece a certain vibrancy, assuming it doesn't get 'smoothered' in more paint - We'll wait and see!!!
Good stuff.

Am over the hill with the Blackbird I think. The Magpie is going to be a huge wrestling match though, I can feel it. Dont have a lot of reference so went out and took some photos of bushes today, however snow has thawed, so this one is down to memory and the initial sketch!! Of to get started again now..

Ps; I have edited this, a bit later and am just done painting, detail of the bird attached here. More attachments on my thread. Will post a decent photo as soon as I take one in natural light, was a lousy dull day today...

Cote de Rhone is the order of the day landlord, suspect you may be at work there!! Give us all a peek then!

Attachments

• ablackbird detail.jpg
    ablackbird detail.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks Tim, that was helpful. It has been so long since I have had the time to sit out and watch and sketch, I think I had forgotten all those wonderful finer points made by everyone on that thread. I think I was doubting myself as an artist who can do field sketches because recently I tried it again, albeit briefly, and it was frustrating. I am inspired to keep trying.

buzzard12 said:
Photos just dont convey this and that is why if you have not spent time sketching or at least watching a species in the field you will never be able to convey the birds essential vitality on paper or canvas.
I think field sketching combined with a few photos is enormously helpful. Though it is possible to work from photos alone if you are familiar with the species I think that working on an unfamiliar species from a photo is doomed to a degree of failure. ... but I do feel that copying a photo directly and as accurately as possible is a little futile, given that the photo already exists.

Thanks Buzzard, everything you said was also very helpful. And what I have left quoted from your original post is most important to me. Since my time is limited, I photograph the bird(s) as soon as I can, but also spend as much time watching them and 'getting to know' them a little more intimately. Sometimes that extra time doesn't come along and so I put those photos of birds I haven't had time to study away and hope that I see them again. It seems to be a bit of an ethical thing for me.

Anyway, I also want to thank VB for the thread on sketching hints. I wished I had seen that one sooner, but now I have and am more the wiser!!
Thanks!

Back On The Job!

Apologies to anyone who's been gasping for a brew or a pint - had to take advantage of a (very short) lull inthe weather to get the polytunnel cover on (pic attached for proof!!!!!!!!).
The seal painting has finally hit the desk and here are the first stuttering colour marks on the canvas. Need to get this one out the way so I can do my avocet.
I'm into town this afternoon - bits of hardware required for the 'tunnel - but back at the easel tonight (hopefully) - unless, of course there's footie on. Man Utd play tomorrow, I think????
Cheers.

Attachments

• Seal1.jpg
    Seal1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Seal2.jpg
    Seal2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Seal3.jpg
    Seal3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Trench.jpg
    Trench.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 135
The sun's over the yardarm so make mine a bitter...

Looks like another cracker Tim! It's got great colour already-love the pinks!
Good luck with the polytunnel, if you've got wind like we had down here this morning you'd best get it pegged down.

Can I ask what size the seal painting is? I'm still experimenting with painting on canvas and I'm interested to know what sort of scales I should be going for.

Woody

Did you bend your knees while digging that thing Tim? I'm not sure if it looks like it.
What the heck is a polytunnel anyway?

Hi woody - One pint coming up (I'lll join you with a lager, I think). This canvas is 24"x18" - large enough to geta bit of action in the paint, I feel.
Elizabeth - The photo shows me backfilling the trench which holds the polythene in [place on the polytunnel - and a polytunnel is, basically a series of hoops attached to the ground over which a poythene sheet is stretched. A door either end for accesas and ventilation. It's an alternative to a greenhouse - anything to extend the growing season is welcome!!! - Wee nip, young lady or care for a beer?

timwootton said:
Hi woody - One pint coming up (I'lll join you with a lager, I think). This canvas is 24"x18" - large enough to geta bit of action in the paint, I feel.
Elizabeth - The photo shows me backfilling the trench which holds the polythene in [place on the polytunnel - and a polytunnel is, basically a series of hoops attached to the ground over which a poythene sheet is stretched. A door either end for accesas and ventilation. It's an alternative to a greenhouse - anything to extend the growing season is welcome!!! - Wee nip, young lady or care for a beer?

Photo?!! Thought it was your latest work;) (Perhaps it was, in the backbreaking sense!)

Have to go to work now, as you know I have had a Capercaillie encounter, will post sketches as soon as I get some time to photo them. Painting or two will be forthcoming of a spectacular bird. Videograb here for you Tim, you wanted to know how close this bird gets...This chap trying in vain to back off this isolated male which is famous for displaying to humans...

Quite an experience...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1569847936578750722&hl=en

Last edited:
Crikey Alan - That's SOME close! Also Liverpool play tonight so I'll have to takea breather and do some shouting at the telly (I like Liverpol in Europe - not as much as THE Reds, but quite a lot).
Chin chin.

timwootton said:
Crikey Alan - That's SOME close! Also Liverpool play tonight so I'll have to takea breather and do some shouting at the telly (I like Liverpol in Europe - not as much as THE Reds, but quite a lot).
Chin chin.

Working tonight for Liverpool game, bar will be packed out! Have tomorrow off, as well as Thursday, will do a bit of birding/sketching and have a glass of red wine tomorrow night, feet up and watch the mighty Utd!
Enjoy!

More. . .

Congratulations Liverpool, but a close shave near the end. I suppose Barca could count themselves a little unlucky, the usually stupendous Ronaldhinio was pretty lack-lustre except for the one fantastic piece of individual brilliance (very similar style to me, y'know! ;) )
Typical gritty Chelsea victory - unlucky Porto.
Did a bit of work and had a can of lager - now night-capping with a Vod&Ton.
Cheers.

Attachments

• Seal4.jpg
    Seal4.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Seal5.jpg
    Seal5.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 131
timwootton said:

You just made my day with those two simple words of yours that I set in bold!

So a polytunnel is easier and cheaper than a normal greenhouse? Or is there another advantage? Once we move, I plan to set something up along the lines of a greenhouse.

Better just a nip for me; just something to send me off to a nice peaceful sleep after a long day.
Does anyone out there teach art to groups of children? I've got 12 I teach once a week, and they are a handful. An hour and a half with these kids makes for an extremely long day(I am thinking about it now, because today was the day). I say hurray for anyone who can do it all day.

Oh, and am enjoying the progress of this latest one you are doing, Tim.

timwootton said:
Congratulations Liverpool, but a close shave near the end. I suppose Barca could count themselves a little unlucky, the usually stupendous Ronaldhinio was pretty lack-lustre except for the one fantastic piece of individual brilliance (very similar style to me, y'know! ;) )
Typical gritty Chelsea victory - unlucky Porto.
Did a bit of work and had a can of lager - now night-capping with a Vod&Ton.
Cheers.

Hello there- sorry I haven't been in lately. As an Arsenal follower I thought I might spend this evening in my shed rather than anywhere with a telly. Current in-shed work in progress is a bold effort to carve a large inverted tree stump into a displaying Great Bustard, but my chainsaw sharpening skills are lettign me down. I will post a pic if I get anywhere with it (and if my hands are still attached to my arms).

ed keeble said:
Hello there- sorry I haven't been in lately. As an Arsenal follower I thought I might spend this evening in my shed rather than anywhere with a telly. Current in-shed work in progress is a bold effort to carve a large inverted tree stump into a displaying Great Bustard, but my chainsaw sharpening skills are lettign me down. I will post a pic if I get anywhere with it (and if my hands are still attached to my arms).

Evening all - my first visit to this establishment, but it seems to be attracting some quality clientele, so decided it was time I to pay a call!

There've been some fantastic pieces on view here - none better than the seals Tim. I really enjoy seeing your pics take shape.

I've been labouring away with my light sabre, not following Ed's tutorials and therefore taking 10 times longer than I needed to I'm sure! That's my next project Ed - to follow the example of your Hawfinch.

Here's a Rosy Minivet - a boring side view for id purposes, to accompany the submission of this record - a first for Malaysia.

If I'm not thrown out for artistic heresy, I'd love a chai latte please Tim,

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Rosy Minivet sketch copy.jpg
    Rosy Minivet sketch copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 114
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back