• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (5 Viewers)

Commented in the gallery but I'll add that the arrangement of the birds in that diamond shape is inspired.

A whole load of special birds headed your way by the sounds of it, good luck with finding 'em. Maybe set up the 'Wootten poly trap' and bag yourself another bluethroat!

Woody

...its starting Tim! Sardinian warbler and Citrine Wagtail found in Shetland today. Hold on to your hat!
Yes I heard that, Alan. we actually had a citrine a few weeks ago - maybe the same bird going the other way ;)
Hoping to do some netting over the weekend - that'll be interesting.

Tim-
This is a bit late... but I really like the bull drawing - alot. You really captured his character and I can see the life he has lived in your drawing. Beautiful piece.

that's too bl**dy good, interesting you'e getting the watercolours out as I'm putting them away, don't know why, just felt like doing acrylics again. Beautifully understated, just a simply excellent piece with some cracking birds.

How you do those ripples without making them look completely ridiculous is beyond me - they're totally convincing!

dave

My first redwing of the winter this morning - feeding with starlings. I must go do a drawing (swallows overhead, too!).

Lanceolated Warbler and Pechora Pipit today in Shetland could almost of been expected, but a male Siberian Thrush is something I really would like to clap eyes on, bit special that... Weekend sholud be blinding, weather could not be better. Unfortunatly for me the completely clear skies in Scandinavia mean all these birds are likely to bypass Sweden on the way to your Polytunnel Tim!

Just been to the art store this afternoon and spent 120 Euro on watercolour paints(7 hues), three nice new brushes and some paper to work on. Don't see the money going this days on decent quality art supplies eh?! Working solidly until Sunday night and then its back down to Landsort for the day on Monday. Looking forward to getting back into watercolour. (...just worked out the last one I painted was seven years ago, cant believe it myself, time does fly) Have plenty in the sketchbook to keep me busy as well as lots of time off in October to find some more subjects too...

We've got crystal clear skies here too, Alan - maybe the Emerald Isle will get the lot!
Look forward to the watercolours coming to fruition.

Wall Topper

Coincidence - it's a strange thing. Last year I spent the morning drawing a short-eared owl on the field wall, opposite the house. The sketches culminated in an oil painting (posted somewhere here) which i quite liked. It has languished in my gallery since then. Two days ago - I started a watercolour painting based on the same drawings, using an almost identical pose. I'm trying to get a 'proper' watercolour technique teogether as opposed to the slap it on and paint gouache over the mistakes technique that usually accompanies my efforts. Just about finished the piece when a couple of nice ladies turned up at the gallery. After a discussion about art, life and birds - they buy a piece. It's the original oil from last year!

Attachments

• OwlOnWallSmall.jpg
    OwlOnWallSmall.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 114
Love the loose feel to the watercolour Tim. One of the most difficult things I find with watercolor is the negative painting you have to do if you don't use masking.
The grasses in front of the wall are working really well. i have some nice photos of a little owl- sitting on a wall just like yours- taken on Skomer island in May. I did some field sketches and had a go at painting it but failed :-C. I am now inspired to have another go.

Fantastic image Tim

I really like how it's off centre to the right of the frame, helps it to intergrate perfectly into it's environment ..almost as if a glance rather than it being 'in your face' like so many other owl pics I've seen (not on here I might add!)

Matt

As I said in the gallery, I love the composition of the SEO. Having birds looking out of the frame lends another dimension to a painting I think. It allows for the idea that there's a world beyond the frame and the bird could be off into that world at any second. Breaking the 'rules' again Tim! But then you realise that the post, wall and longer grasses stop your eye from wandering too far and bring the attention firmly back to the subject. Masterful.

Woody

Coincidence - it's a strange thing. Last year I spent the morning drawing a short-eared owl on the field wall, opposite the house. The sketches culminated in an oil painting (posted somewhere here) which i quite liked. It has languished in my gallery since then. Two days ago - I started a watercolour painting based on the same drawings, using an almost identical pose. I'm trying to get a 'proper' watercolour technique teogether as opposed to the slap it on and paint gouache over the mistakes technique that usually accompanies my efforts. Just about finished the piece when a couple of nice ladies turned up at the gallery. After a discussion about art, life and birds - they buy a piece. It's the original oil from last year!

hey, if you are going to have a coincidence it might as well be one in which you sell something right?? It's funny how things like that sometimes work out.
So is this painting the first of a long line of the 'proper' technique? I think this one looks fresher, but it doesn't take anything away from past work...duh, of course.
My son and I will be making our final move in a little over 2 weeks. My husband found a house in an older suburb which I am not too thrilled about, but it does come with its very own separate studio with loft. Small, but definitely no more subterranean art going on. And it has two huge windows that look over a lovely backyard. OH, yeah, and the house is nice too. !!

I love this picture, it's a great watercolour, I love how the owl is done, hard to explain what I see, but the form and detail is given by the light falling on it. I know if this was my picture I'd have attempted more detail on the owl, and I'm glad you haven't, because it wouldn't work anywhere near aswell. You've come up with some incredibly beautiful, free and creative pieces since your 'block'. I suppose you can't know which path you want to go down until you've been a bit lost. Congratulations on the sale, now you get to hang on to the one you prefer and make a bit of space.

Hi Tim

Why have I missed this thread :-C

Wonderful paintings, stunning and out of this world is what I can say here :t:

Love the view from your personal studio too. Brilliant place to watch the world go by. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Sorry have'nt commented on this one so far Tim . Surfice to say I agree with
everybody . Beautiful piece it has a masterful delicate feel. I am simply a huge
fan of your short eared owls..;) and everything else you do for that matter!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back