• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Any single malt? I'm procrastinating big time on a new heron painting. The shag is awesome! I really like the composition and the lighting creates a nice atmosphere as well.

I'm cracking open a new bottle of whiskey tonight...
Tim, really am enjoying your sketches. You are capturing so much of each bird. movements, poses, etc. Really fantastic.

Yes indeed - I think Beth's contribution to the bar is very welcome. Pull up a pew, anyone - Care to name the label, Beth? Cheers Peter - procrastinate over a tipple -always the best way! I'll struggle with a double, methinks.

Mmmm

Indulged myself in a surriptitious twenty minutes by Mill Sand, Tankerness after dropping off the shag commission in Stromness (approved wholeheartedly by the client, so to all who contributed - bottom's up!). Quickies of redshanks and lappies. The peregrine drawings are overleaf, can't be ars*d to snap them!

Attachments

• dad'sDay.jpg
    dad'sDay.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 92
oooh....! love these Tim. Your economy of line is just breathtaking.
The Redshanks are just.... well blo**y ace. The top left one and the one with the
crab in its bill and the one above that are my favorite poses.

Please show us the Grins!!!:-C

I usually prefer a Kentucky type called Knob Creek...buttery and very tasty. But tonight I have something from Maker's Mark...actually another Kentucky based whiskey...a little dryer, but it will do the job...putting shots on the table for anyone wanting to partake

Drooling over the whiskey description but it's a little early in the morning for me! Also drooling over those shank sketches Tim! Wholeheartedly agree with Andy, let's see the peregrines!

Woody

. . .

Well they're no threat to Durer's reputation, but here they are . . .
(no, there wasn't a flock of 'grins- the speckles are supposed to represent starlings)

Attachments

• per.jpg
    per.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 88
Really great description passage Tim, sounds like heaven. I'm liking the sketches too, just enough to enhance the writing. What about Tim's Orkney diary, 'a year of birds'?.. I'd buy it.

Woody

Good article in the latest Artists & Illustrators magazine - out today (perks of working in a newsagents! ;)).

Our very own Tim has a four-page article on sketching & painting birds in Orkney - LOVE that charcoal sketch of the curlews and lapwing :t: The other paintings of the two Skuas and the GBBG we've already seen on this thread as they developed from sketch to full painting and they looked amazing on here....but to see in this article in print they look even more awesome :t:

Great article Tim and very inspiring.....let's hope it encourages more folks to get outdoors and sketch nature and the various societies to take wildlife art seriously! B :)

Congratulations on the article, I'll have to see if I can get hold of a copy, meanwhile, these latest sketchbook pages are as brilliant as we expect.

Good article in the latest Artists & Illustrators magazine - out today (perks of working in a newsagents! ;)).

Our very own Tim has a four-page article on sketching & painting birds in Orkney - LOVE that charcoal sketch of the curlews and lapwing :t: The other paintings of the two Skuas and the GBBG we've already seen on this thread as they developed from sketch to full painting and they looked amazing on here....but to see in this article in print they look even more awesome :t:

Great article Tim and very inspiring.....let's hope it encourages more folks to get outdoors and sketch nature and the various societies to take wildlife art seriously! B :)

This issue is definately a must have!

Thanks folks - it hardly constitutes an invitation to join the Artists for Nature on a trip to New Zealand, or lunch with 'The Jonssons', but it's always good to get in print - and even better to be appreciated, in any small way, by those that matter, and know about these things.
Cheers - Saturday Lunchtime tipple, anyone?

Incidentally - I haven't seen it, and probably won't for at least another week (some sort of dispute on at the moment?) - but I did drop a hint that it may be 'hitting the shelves' soon :-

See post 188
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=87876&page=8

but I did drop a hint that it may be 'hitting the shelves' soon :-

See post 188
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=87876&page=8

and I understood (or rather misunderstood) from your post that it would be the August edition. I was gutted when in mid August I was informed by the newsagent that the August editions were all sold and I was a month behind - September was now on the shelf.

....so this is good news for me - off to the newsagents this morning:t:

Keith.

Yes Tim, I really enjoyed your magazine article - congratulations!

One small point tho', and I suppose they haven't the space to cover everything in depth - I feel they should have included more of your field sketches, particularly of waders. Whilst your finished pieces are awesome, especially the first one of the auks, there's a certain special vitality and freshness with your wader sketches that I just love - I think this sentiment has been aired before.

I suppose we're privileged here at Birdforum to have access to a wider spectrum of your work.

Well done,
Keith.

Well, I am a bit bummed. I haven't found any access to these articles. I really love reading your pieces, Tim. I did a brief search on the web, but came up with nothin'. If anyone knows where to look, I would love to read.

Best
Beth

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back