• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (4 Viewers)

. . .

Just a quick update. Probably a few more hours getting the foreground something like, but this puts the piece into context.
Hi Peter - hope things are fine your side of the pond.

Attachments

• diver78.jpg
    diver78.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 111
Enough is enough . . .

I think this is completed now. I just have a feeling about a couple of areas but I'll adopt the sage-like advice from before and leave it for a wee while now.
Red-throated Divers, acrylic on canvas. 30"x24"

Attachments

• diverLast8.jpg
    diverLast8.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 153
Like I said in the gallery, I love the calm feeling you've captutred. The habitat is spot on, one third of the painting is 'empty' but it's still full of water, brilliant.

Mike

Oldies

Having spooked a glaucous gull from my 'resident' grey seal carcass at the bottom of the garden I stealthily (!) returned to the spot for a sketch or two. Of course, the bird had effed off and, by the time I had set up the scope, I was b100dy delighted it had. It was absolutely freezing, a NW wind getting right under my underclothes!
So back up to the house and resuming the tidy up in preparation for estate Agent etc. Found these old field drawings from a visit to Skye in 1992 - har! har!
There may be more to come, if I find any . . .

Attachments

• oiks8.jpg
    oiks8.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Gbs8.jpg
    Gbs8.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 110
A few more

White wagtails from Handa Island 1992, sandwich terns from Hoddbarrow, Cumbria -1992 and herring gulls from Fidra Island, 1993.

Attachments

• herGul8.jpg
    herGul8.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Sand8.jpg
    Sand8.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 102
  • WW18.jpg
    WW18.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 97
nice, nice, nice. Lovely to look at older stuff (bet there's a good few memories). As it seems to be the done thing, I'll pick my favourites (despite liking them all a lot!) the herring gull sketches wouldn't look out of place alongside Ennion's finest, I used to pore over the LBBs in Signals for Survival, and these excite the senses just as intensely. The Sandwiches, those are great sandwiches, not boring corned beef at all. Absolutely delicious with many subtle flavours and textures, luxurious, the sort of sketching that makes you feel guilty for looking at it. Or in short... stunning!

I agree completely with nickderry. The gulls are special. I don't know Ennion, but will search, but they are fine. They have personalities, each of them. And the terns definitely show the moment with honesty. I love your sketches.

BTW, I saw the photos of your house, wonderful and enticing! I hope the transition works out well all around.

David

All these sketches are way past good enough to frame, impossible to pick favourites amongst this group, they're all outstanding.

I hope the estate agent doesn't find the path too daunting!
Mike

There's a bit of an Ennion fan club on here...wonderful original artist, writer and all round nice man, but not that well known outside UK.

There's a recent new website on him that is worth keeping an eye on, although not much of his set piece compositional work has made it onto there yet

http://www.ericennion.com/

Really superb link Ed, was not aware of the site, thanks for drawing attention to it. The artwork is rather amazing, that calling curlew is a masterpiece, have been sitting here taking it all in(and there is a lot to take in with regard to form, linework, feather groupings and that spread tail, what a drawing it is!), with my jaw on the keyboard. some fantastic landscapes there too, and the Great Crested Newts are another joy to behold, what an amazing illustration that is....

Love the Red Throats Tim, another great painting. The older sketches and paintings are facinating though, as mentioned before here the Herring Gulls really are rather special, the scolding adult is just a gem of a drawing... Sandwiches and Gbb Gulls are mighty too, lovely, inspiring stuff Tim.

Last couple, honest!

Super link Ed. Looks like it will be another super publication. Ironic that he struggled to get Bird Man's River published when he was alive, isn't it? At least now the world is becoming more aware of his unique genius.

Finishing off the tidying of the studio, came across a couple more bits -
White wagtails from same session as above (Handa Island, 1990 actually, not 92 as mentioned), gannet from Bass Rock, 1995 - birds that do as they're told and sit still - and a piece of illustration from about the same time.
I won't subject you nice folk to any more, but thanks for the kind words previously.

Attachments

• WW28.jpg
    WW28.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 87
  • WW38.jpg
    WW38.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Gann8.jpg
    Gann8.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 104
  • wheat8.jpg
    wheat8.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for sharing the fieldwork. They are really good. The terns are spectacular in that you captured the very essence of time, space and characteristics of the birds. Fantastic stuff! I hope you come across some more hidden treasures... and best of luck with the move - that is never fun.

You can subject us to as many as you've got Tim! Always a pleasure to see your stuff, whatever its age!

Thanks for the link Ed, looks like I'll be spending more money soon then.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back