• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

yes, that superb piece of energetic drawing, or the blind duck in a haystack as it has been known by some. Nice to see this one again, an enormous amount of strength in it.

I never thought it looked like a blind duck in a haystack, the very few male eiders I've sketched don't have eyes anyway. Agree the reworked version just has that extra finesse around the head that makes it more dynamic.

Congrats on the Snowy Tim, only ever seen one in Toronto at an old favourite patch called the leslie spit, will never forget the site of that bird sitting on a telegraph post calling. Wonderful birds and naturally, tremendous set of sketches....

A couple of sheets from working on Westray and a quick hour out on the Point of Ness 'cos it's a nice evening drawing a seal.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 81
straight into some wonderful strong forms here, and rather oddly, the seal makes me think of a ballerina, must be the balance rather than the shape!

Spent a quick 10 minutes on the pier Tuesday evening and enjoyed the spectacle of gulls snaffling up hundreds of black flies which had descended on Stromness - really quick gestural drawings. The eiders floated by.
Part of my work today included a count of arctic terns, and once finished, a drawing or two. Sitting in the campervan waiting for the boat back home - in galeforce conditions - made a study of three eiders loafing on the peedie pier at Shapinsay. So pleasant when the birds behave themselves and keep still for a short while.

Attachments

• home1.jpg
    home1.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 60
  • home2.jpg
    home2.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 63
  • tern1.jpg
    tern1.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 68
  • tern2.jpg
    tern2.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 77
  • eidr.jpg
    eidr.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Love the last one....I take it thats watercolour......Looking at that, I can see how the detail is done, and the need for me to refine mine a bit.... The other quickie sketches are good to

Beautiful, Tim! I love the expressions on the terns, and I agree, the colour piece is ace. BTW -- did you use watercolour paper for this, or is it just a regular hardbound sketchbook? I just got my copy of Jonsson's latest (trying to keep the drool off the pages!), which has further convinced me that I really need to bring my paints out into the field more often. Using watercolour paper to sketch is a bit pricey for me, but I need something that doesn't buckle up like my Earthbound sketchbooks do.

I've just started using Fabriano sketchbooks for the last few outings and I find they take a soft pencil beautifully ( http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/background_lookup.php?look=PFV&descrip=Fabriano+Venezia+Book%2C+25x30cm+%289x12in%29%2C+200gsm+Academia%2C+acid-free%2C+case+bound+with+stiched+page+marker%3Cbr%3E48+pages+QQ+sketch&sutton=18623.58225&saving=1.10&code=PFV9&how_to_shop=notsowild&custorstaff=customer&manu=sketchpads_and_sketchbks_items_99_papers&is_buy= )- the real bonus comes with the application of watercolour. The paper appears to resist cockling very well. The only downside (for me anyway) is the stitch binding. I prefer spiral binding 'cos I can then flip the whole book and work on a tablet - the Fabriano means there's a flappy side which can get a bit in the way. For now, I'll forgive it 'cos I like the surface so much.

Last edited:
All fabulous sketches Tim, the colour work is outstanding.

Not cheap, those Fabriano sketchbooks are they! That's got to be a bigger drawback than the binding surely. I still love the Daler ones, I buy 'em from Cass Arts for under four quid each, bargain! Next time I'm in there though I'll look out for the Fabriano ones and check the price.

Mike

eiders look great tim, watched these for ages in slimbridge once, loved the way the males throw their heads back in courtship and the noise they make....

again, guilty of being stunned into silence by this latest batch - the subtle tones of the eiders are wonderful. These really need to be published in some format or other.

Catch up time, a lot to catch up on too...

The colour Eiders really is a bit special Tim, not to take away from the pencil sketches, the terns are just right and the Eider male rear view with cocked tail is just so well seen and drawn, its just the watercolour is a little piece of magic.

Just back from Sanday to the dismal news that I've missed two dotterel - a fabulous bird I haven't seen for 30 years!!! - Feck!!!
They'll probably end up on THAT island I've just left - ad the snowy owl was seen again yesterday.
A couple of drawings from the past few days;

Attachments

• sk2.jpg
    sk2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 53
  • sku1.jpg
    sku1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 52
  • sk6.jpg
    sk6.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 57
  • sku2.jpg
    sku2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 63
  • sku3.jpg
    sku3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 65
I think you should have drawn the Common Gull anyway! Good to see the start of this year's batch of skua sketches appearing. Don't really know what to say that hasn't already been said, luckily the sketches speak loud enough themselves! I love how you've captured the softer, warmer light on the skua just 20 minutes after the first sketch.

As for dotterels, are you sure you saw one 30 years ago, I was under the impression they were made-up species, or at best, common species of plover with make-up on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back