• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (3 Viewers)

Have to echo Woody here, the sunlight on the back of the BHG is phenom. The eider is a fantastic composition -- almost feels a little unsettling the way the landscape looms over her.

I'm just awestruck by your field work.....and yes someone has read every page, took me over a month, and more than 100 as I read some pages several times, your work has been my teacher, and answered a lot of questions, tho I seem to keep coming across words and expressions I've never heard before on this side of the pond.

colleenc;I seem to keep coming across words and expressions I've never heard before on this side of the pond.[/QUOTE said:
you are not the only one...and i live this side of the pond , nice to have you with us hope you enjoy ....mark.

Certainly have been through the whole 100 pages, and on each page the bar just gets higher and higher. A wonderful sunny Orkney day has just been brought to a grey miserable day in France.

I'll repeat the words of Nick that "the bar just gets higher and higher"!
Excellent depiction of birds bathing in light!
Masterful!

Paschalis

Tim, that BHG's rubbish you can't work out the tertial fringes at all, and as for that common gull, where are it's greater coverts, call yourself an artist, I don't know;).......

but look, lovely soft shelducklings....everbody say ahh, they are cute wee things.:t:

Cheers,
Andrew

Oooo Andrew - you and yer frertial tinges (actually, I painted them in but only on the other side of the bird - I got bored by the time I got to this side).
I just had to make a quick drawing of this encounter - one of many involving these two species recently.

And a sketch page of peregrines.

Attachments

• skua bonk.jpg
    skua bonk.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 107
  • peresketch.jpg
    peresketch.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Just love these Tim .
Are you going for that 100 challenge with Colleen ? she certainly hides her light under a bushel.
I hope these sketches are going to be published sometime. (Tim's Sketches from the Orkney's)

Last edited:
Just love these Tim .
Are you going for that 100 challenge with Colleen ? she certainly hides her light under a bushel.
I hope these sketches are going to be published sometime. (Tim's Sketches from the Orkney's)

A book is the way to go - something like Keith Brockie's range of sketchbooks, but maybe in a larger format. I can see it taking shape already!

The "picture's worth a thousand words" saying, would be a gross understatement here- these pictures really have so much to say.

Love the Peregrine studies.....;)

Keith.

I love these sketches/paintings with notes. Really love them, as much as anything you do. I like the process, it's something to be learned from, for anyone, about how to see, plus the pleasure of the art itself. Just great. I see peregrines in NYC fairly regularly, BTW, from my office windows looking out over the Hudson. It is amazing to see them here! I scour for them at a hawk watch during migration, and then come to work in the summer, and here they are!

Sorry for the delay, Mike. If you can't read the text I can type a version (although there's nothing particularly enlightening in there).
Suffice to say this is the closest I've ever been to an otter in the wild - and for over 5 minutes of thrilling viewing.

Attachments

• ottrsktch.jpg
    ottrsktch.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 72
Tim, just such a privilege to see these, I'm in awe of your ability to capture the essentials for description, yet maintain the most fluid and free application of color, a perfect marriage of description and art to my mind.

re the bushel comment, I wasn't hiding, just taking a respectful place here with so many skilled and knowledgeable artists;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back