• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Looking to sculpt the rockfaces a bit now. Throwing some tonal contrast at the painting and starting to see the space between the solid forms.
Reassessng the drawing constantly at this stage, too.

Attachments

• brush1.jpg
    brush1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 62
  • brush2.jpg
    brush2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 93
A quick trip to Kirkwall for kids' dental appointments meant I could do a swift detour to Holm to catch up with the great white egret which has been around for a couple of days. My second one in as many years - nice bird!

Attachments

• egret1.jpg
    egret1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 86
  • egret2.jpg
    egret2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 82
A quick trip to Kirkwall for kids' dental appointments meant I could do a swift detour to Holm to catch up with the great white egret which has been around for a couple of days. My second one in as many years - nice bird!

Difficult bird to draw this, though you wouldn't know it by looking at these Tim. Nice bird, documented superbly in typical Wootonesque pencil precision....

oh boy do I know these forms....I see you chose angles to draw for the neck instead of curves, took me 2 weeks to figure that out.....lovely sketches, you have one and I have a whole tree full, but even one is such a treat.
Isn't it strange when they are head on there is just a white stick the head not showing ...at the tree with the young ones scanning the sky for the next meal, I often see a white stick with a point

You've got the species nailed Tim - the angles of the head are exactly as I've seen them here and Colleen is spot on mentioning how their heads disappear when seen straight on - peculiar birds they are - but ever so elegant.

Thanks for the words on the egrets - seems like I haven't drawn from life for b100dy ages and when I approach it again, it's like back to square one.
On with the 'biggie' (it's a 40"x30" canvas, by the way - in the first or second pic one may spot darling youngest daughter peering from behind the easel).
Looking to make some positive statements about the overall values for the foremost cliffs now. B100dy tricky playing with pale colours in the overall darkness of the shadows.
That's 'Cliff' and 'Shadows' in the same post - not one I'll be repeating.

Attachments

• cliffs1.jpg
    cliffs1.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 82
Progress is fairly slow on this thing - partly due to the expanse of material I have to cover, partly due to report-writing and partly due to kids on hols.
Broke the leash on Sunday and had a trek across the cliffs of Mull Head. Had just about settled into some sort of working mode when moby springs into life - "Paul's just phoned- there's a Laughing Gull at Graemshall". Well it's not too far away so I left the cliffs and arrived at said site to fine nowt, except Barry scanning the loch in vain. Never mind - back to the painting (and a few close-ups to show the lack of technique).

Attachments

• paint2.jpg
    paint2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 51
  • paint3.jpg
    paint3.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 71
  • c-u1.jpg
    c-u1.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 51
  • c-u3.jpg
    c-u3.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 48
you be careful not to put too much work into this one Mr Wootton - the cliffs are a bright airy place so far (very much needed on this hot stuffy breezeless day in France) and in many ways this picture could stand as finished.

As for the razorbill, you could post nothing but razorbills and I'd never tire of looking at them.

Lack of technique my arse! Just keep bumbling along the way you are.

These cliffside seabirds of yours never cease to transport me to the exact time and place you draw them. Shame you dipped on the gull though.

Mike

Agree with Nick -- just too much Awesomeness to be found in razorbills (all alcids, really -- love those bills and body shapes). Too bad they're crazy rare here, though we've had a few reports in the Niagara region in recent years. Never had the opportunity to twitch any of them, though.

I'm going to try and sneak off to do a bit of drawing over the weekend - meanwhile the canvas continues with a bit of emphasis on the stack now . . .

Attachments

• stack1.jpg
    stack1.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back