• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (5 Viewers)

Move him into the sun -
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields unsown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds, -
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved, - still warm, - too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
- O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?

Wilfred Owen

A very quick colour sketch for a watercolour painting that's next up.

Attachments

• 2divers8.jpg
    2divers8.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 107
gorgeous light, and even backlit, that distinctive eye is perfect. You're so lucky to see divers like this - every time I've seen them they have been mostly distant and all windswept and grey. (Still gorgeous to see though!)

A beauty Tim! And, sad to say, I have to admit that's probably the first poem I've ever read by Wilfred Owen, though I heard his name many times back, wayyyyy back, when I was an undergraduate. A striking poem.

Owen and Sassoon (Siegfreid) were staple diet for most British kids. The war poetry is, obviously, extremely moving and as commentary, sad to say, as poignant and relevant today as it ever was.
This poem is entitled 'Futility' - which just about says it all . . .

Had to read his poetry at school almost 30 years ago, and absolutely hated it - I never made much sense out of it. Reading it again today, after all those years, and it really struck a chord with me - I'm not sure if I'm getting wiser as I get older, or maybe I just hated it then because I hated school - not sure.

Postal Order's in the post Btw,

thanks,
Keith.

Wildred Owen, born here in Shropshire...I seem to appreciate poetry much more as I get older! Lovely sketch, how long does it take you to complete a watercolour.
Also, without wading back, could I ask what is your catalog? Being female and nosy ;)

Hi Chrissy Marie - there's a bit more info on my blog:http://tim-wootton.blogspot.com

Oooh, I want one, can I pay by paypal or would you prefer a cheque?
It will be another one for my growing collection of art from other artists.
I confess I have a notice board in my working area and I have Artist Trading cards and picked up bits and pieces from all over the world. Recently I had to exchange it because it had shrunk ;)
So now I have two boards and I am threatening to encroach on the OH's if I keep going.
But, I love to look at it all, it is incredibly inspirational....

Here's the finished larger watercolour. More or less what I was expecting . . .
Chrissy - The sketch is 15"x11" and took approximately 1.5 hours and the other is 18"x12 and has taken most of today.

Attachments

• 2divers.jpg
    2divers.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 111
superb treatment of the water, only little thing I could say is the duck and the rock are about the same shape, color, level of detail and mass....if you did it again it might be worth doing something about that, but not on this lovely piece.

superb treatment of the water, only little thing I could say is the duck and the rock are about the same shape, color, level of detail and mass....if you did it again it might be worth doing something about that, but not on this lovely piece.

you might want to train your binoculars on the rock...

you might want to train your binoculars on the rock...
Thanks Ed!
Oh how funny and embarassing,:eek!: I think it is a bird,
I have dial up and it can take as long as 4-5 min for a pic to download, I must have seen it in a more pixelated state, as they load in gradually more detailed states, but have to say it's still a bit confusing to me visually, even if it is way better than I can do.

Very nice painting there. Captures a moment in time and life. I do like how you see. And the book is just amazing. I am so glad you did it. That gallery in Orkney is a long way from New York; we're so glad to be able to share in it. Maybe some day you'll exhibit here.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back