• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

This reminds me a bit of an old teacher of mine who took up flying. Once he did he became so enamored of the topographical views from the sky that that's all he ever painted: quasi-abstract maps!

Had a very enjoyable trip through Scotland and into Yorkshire connecting with some mega-rares; blue, great, long-tailed, coal and marsh tits and both the British woodpeckers (;)) and returned to a load of illustration work and a les than subtle reminder that the Orkney Bird Report is completed except for one person's contribution - yours truly.
I thought I'd post them just to show a bit of willing in the light of all the wonderful work being aired on forum recently. There's one tricky piece of ID (unless anyone's been paying particularly acute attention to my best birds of 2009) but I don't blame you if you can neither ID the species nor even bother trying - it's hardly worth the effort.
A few bonxies are back, auks on the cliffs and a handful of puffins from the Sunday ferry home - looking froward to getting out and doing some real work.

Attachments

• receipt064smal.jpg
    receipt064smal.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 56
  • receipt065small.jpg
    receipt065small.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 50
  • receipt066small.jpg
    receipt066small.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 53
  • receipt067small.jpg
    receipt067small.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
  • receipt074small.jpg
    receipt074small.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
. . .

Attachments

• receipt069small.jpg
    receipt069small.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 57
  • receipt070small.jpg
    receipt070small.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 55
  • receipt071small.jpg
    receipt071small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 58
  • receipt072smal.jpg
    receipt072smal.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 59
  • receipt075small.jpg
    receipt075small.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
wow Tim, there is something harder edged more angular and more precise than what I'm used to in your sketches, and a bit of deeper dark marks, did you change pencils or paper? Nonetheless these are just super and full of vitality the songster is really tops for me...I can hear the notes.

This reminds me a bit of an old teacher of mine who took up flying. Once he did he became so enamored of the topographical views from the sky that that's all he ever painted: quasi-abstract maps!

I know I should be commenting on the new work but when I came to this thread I saw that the last comment was by me about my old teacher, Robert Harman. So I decided to see if I could find any images. And I did - http://www.triangle-sf.com/artists/hartman/hartman.html. They may be of interest to both Tim and username. Or they may just make username want to take up flying..........

Well like Colleen my first reaction is: hmm, this is a new style for Tim! But as I look at them some more I also see a sort of familiar exactness and sureness of line, maybe just a bit more contained and finished than normal.

Need to look at them more thoroughly now.

Great sketched Tim - top stuff. Love how they look so intricate yet withuse of minimal lines...excellent technique.
And there's nothing wrong with an artist holding up publication! ;)

Ha! - Nope, not anything fancy like new technique (or even something as radical as new pencils!!!) - just drawings which have been processed via scanner as opposed to the usually idle snapshot via digi-camera. Same old rubbish in real life - I can assure you.
Nighty-nights.

I know I should be commenting on the new work but when I came to this thread I saw that the last comment was by me about my old teacher, Robert Harman. So I decided to see if I could find any images. And I did - http://www.triangle-sf.com/artists/hartman/hartman.html. They may be of interest to both Tim and username. Or they may just make username want to take up flying..........

Chuckle..! [i have a few images from 'the clouds' SolitaryV....taken from hot air balloon]....i was in my element...;)

Tim.....i particularly like the 'gillies' in your latest batch of sketches...[i like all those sketches of course]..!

plenty of beauty here, favourites are the group of long-tails and the skua with his wings out. Is that a common rosefinch amongst your sparrows?

Orkney bird report will look rather well methinks! Long Talied Ducks, Guillies and that displaying Dunlin caught my eye, the Pallas Rosefinch is rather tasty too Tim;)

Superb group of sketches here, Tim (I think every last one of them needs to be popped in a frame and hung up somewhere -- these don't deserve to be hidden away in a sketchbook!)

Superb group of sketches here, Tim (I think every last one of them needs to be popped in a frame and hung up somewhere -- these don't deserve to be hidden away in a sketchbook!)
Ha! - Cheers Jo - but these are sort of illustrations for a bird report, so they will be viewed by some. Glad to see you back ;)

That's a relief, then. ;) Guess I misread things. That's what I get for skimming (too much to catch up on around here).

Fantastic sketches here, Tim. Interesting how 'pen-like' these look - I can see how you've picked them out for report illustrations. There doesn't seem to be any shading as such, just nice, clean hatching. They've come out a real treat; perhaps I ought to mess around with my cheapo scanner and see what it can really do.

Russ

Scampered out to Marwick Head this lunchtime; ledges are brimming with guillemots and fulmar were enjoying the stiff breeze - certainly more that I was! Tried to take a few snaps then decided I could see more without the hinderance of a viewfinder so took to the sketchpad instead. Not having drawn for ages, obviously the rust shows. After collecting the kids decided to take advantage of a couple of shags and an assortment of eiders loafing on an old slip just up the street.

Attachments

• fulmrs sm.jpg
    fulmrs sm.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
  • shags sm.jpg
    shags sm.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 45
  • eidrs sm.jpg
    eidrs sm.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 58
  • eidr sm.jpg
    eidr sm.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 54
rusty? nonsense! all of it beautiful, all of it. Flight studies, such dynamism and balance, the shags are full of character, and the eiders are a true exploration of the birds in 'non-standard' pose.

rusty? nonsense! all of it beautiful, all of it. Flight studies, such dynamism and balance, the shags are full of character, and the eiders are a true exploration of the birds in 'non-standard' pose.

Quite right Nick, some terrific moments here, the flight sketches are heaving with magic...
The 2nd calender eider watercolour is fantastic, as is the trio. All so very refreshing..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back