• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Front Garden Tree List (from my bedroom window, Leeds) (1 Viewer)

My "birds on my front garden tree" life list (Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK)...🌲

In September 2022 I moved into a new house in suburban Leeds. There is a large coniferous tree (a type of pine I believe but unsure of the specific species) growing on the edge of my neighbor's front garden that overhangs directly in front of my front-facing window in my bedroom where I have conveniently positioned my desk/PC. As such, I am able to have front-row views of birds that land on the tree and feed on the seed-bearing cones while at my desk. This is great for me as I spend a lot of time at my desk working (and procrastinating) on a daily basis.

As I barely have to lift a finger to record the birds from my sedentary desk-dwelling position, I decided to start a list of the birds that land specifically on this tree. I thought it would be interesting to see just how many species I could record on just this one tree alone during the time I live at the property.

Since I moved in I have seen the following on the tree:

1. Woodpigeon (regular)
2. Blue Tit (regular)
3. Great Tit (regular)
4. Coal Tit (09/05/22)
5. Chiffchaff (regular)
6. Magpie (regular)
7. Jay (4/10/22)
8. Mistle Thrush (29/10/22)
9. Goldfinch (13/11/22)
10. Goldcrest (13/11/22)
11. Long-tailed Tit (15/01/22)
12. Siskin (08/12/22)
13. Linnet (30/01/23)
14. Carrion Crow (15/05/23)

Initially, I did not keep specific dates for "firsts" especially when seen often (marked as "regular") but will be recording specific dates for all new entries.

I hope to update this thread with plenty more species to come this calendar year! Interestingly, I am yet to see other relatively common finches such as Greenfinch and Bullfinch - hopefully to be added next?... :)

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum James. What a nice idea, a ‘one tree list’. Looking forward to see what you get next. You may like to expand to do a separate Garden/House List ( if you’re not too concentrated on your work of course ;) ..), we’re always looking for new participants on the Garden/Yard List thread :
Cheers
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back