• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galapagos ideas for short 3 day trip based on San Cristobal (2 Viewers)

LRP

Hi Final one for me today - part of the ecuador trip includes 3 days land based in Galapagos - again any recommendations for a guide or where to go during this time to ensure I max out my time would be most appreciated?

Thanks

El Chato Ranch, where you can see giant tortoises. You can also see them at the Darwin Centre but these are captive animals. The ones at El Chato are much bigger and roaming free. You can also take a boat trip to the island of North Seymour to see birds and land iguanas and do some snorkeling.

El Chato Ranch, where you can see giant tortoises. You can also see them at the Darwin Centre but these are captive animals. The ones at El Chato are much bigger and roaming free. You can also take a boat trip to the island of North Seymour to see birds and land iguanas and do some snorkeling.
Thank you for getting back to me. I am particularly interested in the birding short trips... any recommendations for people/ guides and rough prices please?
Thank you

I went on several day trips to small islands. I went to Bartolome, Dauphne Major, Seymour Norte, Sante Fe, Las Tintorias and others. You can make arrangements with any of the many tour agencies along the main street in Puerto Ayora. You don't need to book too far in advance. A few days is enough. The company that I used is called Galapagos Path. They don't have a website but they have a page on Facebook. Much cheaper than staying on a cruise boat.

I went on several day trips to small islands. I went to Bartolome, Dauphne Major, Seymour Norte, Sante Fe, Las Tintorias and others. You can make arrangements with any of the many tour agencies along the main street in Puerto Ayora. You don't need to book too far in advance. A few days is enough. The company that I used is called Galapagos Path. They don't have a website but they have a page on Facebook. Much cheaper than staying on a cruise boat.
Thank you so much - I will definitely look into your advice once I arrive - thank you

Thank you very much - in this season do you think I need to book
Ahead still ? Im
There in about 5 days

There in about 5 days
If you will be there in five days, it is kind of late to book very far ahead. However, I booked several tours with just a few days notice. Seymour Norte is the best island for birds if you don't have much time. Email Galapagos Path now to make a reservation. On Santa Cruz, check out the last of several ferry docks. Usually Brown Noddys and other birds there. Also, the Itabica Channel is good.

Since you may not have arrived yet, this may be of help. The place that should definitely go is Piedras Negras. It's a marked path up a volcanic rock hill that takes you to a cliff where you can spot tons of birds. The trailhead is at Playa Loberia. Blue-footed Boobies, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Swallow-tailed Gulls, Nazca Boobies, Brown Pelicans, etc.

If you're fluent in Spanish you might want to hail a taxi and go to Puerto Chino on the other side of the island. Just be sure to confirm with the driver that he'll pick you up for the trip back. I've seen Lava Gulls, Lava Herons (now Striated Herons I believe), various Finches, Brown Noddies, and even a Yellow Warbler over there. I was fortunate enough to be able to camp over there (camping requires a special permit which needs to be procured well beforehand, and you'll need to bring your own tent, etc) and got a Black-crowned Night Heron.

You can go up to Playa Punta Corola and bird at the beach for a bit, then hike the path to Mirador Cerro Tijeretas. Lots of Frigatebird and Pelican nesting in that area, along with whatever other avian live may be accessible in the foliage as you hike.

That's my $0.02, hope you have a great trip.

If you will be there in five days, it is kind of late to book very far ahead. However, I booked several tours with just a few days notice. Seymour Norte is the best island for birds if you don't have much time. Email Galapagos Path now to make a reservation. On Santa Cruz, check out the last of several ferry docks. Usually Brown Noddys and other birds there. Also, the Itabica Channel is good.

Since you may not have arrived yet, this may be of help. The place that should definitely go is Piedras Negras. It's a marked path up a volcanic rock hill that takes you to a cliff where you can spot tons of birds. The trailhead is at Playa Loberia. Blue-footed Boobies, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Swallow-tailed Gulls, Nazca Boobies, Brown Pelicans, etc.

If you're fluent in Spanish you might want to hail a taxi and go to Puerto Chino on the other side of the island. Just be sure to confirm with the driver that he'll pick you up for the trip back. I've seen Lava Gulls, Lava Herons (now Striated Herons I believe), various Finches, Brown Noddies, and even a Yellow Warbler over there. I was fortunate enough to be able to camp over there (camping requires a special permit which needs to be procured well beforehand, and you'll need to bring your own tent, etc) and got a Black-crowned Night Heron.

You can go up to Playa Punta Corola and bird at the beach for a bit, then hike the path to Mirador Cerro Tijeretas. Lots of Frigatebird and Pelican nesting in that area, along with whatever other avian live may be accessible in the foliage as you hike.

That's my $0.02, hope you have a great trip.

Thank you so much - any penguin news ??

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I managed to get some great sights of frigates displaying, blue boobies, marine iguanas, seals and turtles at Los Lobos which was easy to get to from san Cristobal. Thanks for the tips . I'd love to go again and spend even more time on the islands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back