• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia - hotel with good grounds (1 Viewer)

Tanager

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for a hotel in the Gambia that has decent hotel grounds for my non-birding other half to poke around in, she likes photographing plants/insects lizards etc....

Cheers,

Mark

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for a hotel in the Gambia that has decent hotel grounds for my non-birding other half to poke around in, she likes photographing plants/insects lizards etc....

Cheers,

Mark
We stayed at the Sheraton in Brufut Heights.
It was excellent for birds,lizards and other wildlife.
There were 50 birds species from the grounds alone!
On either side there is rough scrubland accessed from the hotel full of birds.
The hotel itself is excellent.A huge lawned area with well spaced out sunbeds bordering a lovely quiet beach.
The rooms,food and service were all top notch.
The hotel is in walking distance of two wonderful reserves:The Brufut Woods and
Tanji.
The entrance to Tanji Forest is 5 minutes from the hotel.The Tanji Lagoons are a 25 minute walk along the beach from the hotel.
There were lots of great birds to see in both reserves.
I have pasted the section of my report covering the Sheraton,Brufut Woods and Tanji to give you some idea about what you can see.

The Sheraton
The grounds were full of birds.
The most unusual was the Pygmy Kingfisher and Squacco Heron on the pool near the fitness club.
This area was excellent as I also found a Green Sandpiper there as well as 4 Double Spurred Francolins and a Zitting Cisticola.
The were some Black Headed Plovers and Wattled Plovers in the dry scrubby area just north of the pool as well as a Black Crowned Tchagra and Chiffchaff in the wooded area near the telecommunication mast.

Around the rest of the grounds and in the southern scrubby area I found:
Little Bee-Eater, African Palm Swift, Senegal Coucal,Laughing Dove,Speckled Pigeon,Red Eyed Dove,Hooded Vulture,Palm-Nut Vulture,Black Kite,Black Shouldered Kite,Cattle Egret,Black Headed Heron, Pied Crow,Piapiac,Red Billed Hornbill ,Red Chested Swallow,Common Bulbul,Brown Babbler,Chiffchaff,Copper Sunbird,Variable Sunbird,Beautiful Sunbird,Splendid Sunbird,Yellow Crowned Gonolek,Yellow Billed Shrike,Yellow Billed Oxpecker,Greater Blue Eared Starling,Long Tailed Starling,House Sparrow,Yellow Fronted Canary,Grey Headed Sparrow,Black winged Red Bishop,Village Weaver,Little Weaver,African Silverbill,Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu,Red Billed Firefinch,Bronze Mannikan,Pin Tailed Whydah, and a Blue Bellied Roller.

Either looking out to sea or walking south along the beach I saw Grey Headed Gulls,3 Gannet, 1 Osprey, 2 Peregine Falcon,2 Slender Billed Gull,1 Long Tailed Cormorant,1 Sanderling,1 Bar Tail Godwit,Western Reef Heron,Whimbrel,Grey Plover,several Ringed Plover,Turnstone, and numerous Caspian Terns and Royal Terns.

Tanji Nature Reserve
Wonderful!
The lagoons were full of birds including:
Pied Kingfisher,Little Egret,Western Reef Heron,Grey Heron,Black Headed Heron,Cattle Egret,Spur Winged Plover,Greenshank,Redshank,Sanderling,Common Sandpiper,White Fronted Plover,Ringed Plover,Whimbrel,Caspian Tern,Royal Tern, Long Tailed Cormorant,Lesser Black Backed Gull, and Grey Headed Gull.

The wooded area to the east of the main road was easily accessed from the police checkpoint area just after Ghana Town.I walked from the hotel.
I took an easterly path till I reached a walled area then followed the main sandy track south to a small mosque.
The woods were heaving with birds.All the common ones were seen as well as: African Grey Hornbill,Red Billed Hornbill,Western Grey Plantain Eater, White Shouldered Black Tit,Red Bellied African Paradise Flycatcher,Brubru,Rose Ringed Parakeet,African Thrush,Brown Babbler,Yellow Fronted Tinker Bird,Red Billed Firefinch,Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu,Bronze Mannikan,Yellow Crowned Gonolek, and Black Crowned Tchagra.

Brufut Forest
I wouldn’t attempt to find this place alone!
It was well hidden behind Brufut Village.I walked through the village and eventually found a helpful chap called Moses who led me to the promissed land aka Brufut Forest.
Again a fantastic habitat.All the common species were seen as well as a Lavender Waxbill,Villiage Indigo bird,Western Grey Plant Eater,Green Backed Eromola,Grey Backed Camaroptera,Yellow Crowned Gonolek,Palm Nut Vulture, and my 600th life species – a Blue Spotted Wood Dove.

Last edited:
Kairaba hotel. Excellent grounds, lovely hotel and you can pop over the road and walk round the Senegambia which is not such a great hotel but has pretty good grounds too.

I'll second the Kairaba. Lush grounds with a creek and full of wildlife including two species of primate, Nile Monitors, several smaller lizard species, various amphibians and even Gambian Pouched Rats in you venture out when the other guests are in bed. It's a great hotel even without the wildlife.

Much depends on what budget you have to play with,what length of time you are staying and what else you want to do on your holiday.
Staying in the tourist area of Kololi and Kotu you have choices to eat out in the evening, other locations less so, if at all.
I have stayed in Kotu 5 times now and find the location ideal for my wife and my needs. I can understand that your wife might feel a little vulnerable out on her own but she would be perfectly safe to wander around Kotu beach and creek.
The Kairaba and Senegambia both have their own large and extensive grounds, I haven't been in the Kairaba but it looks very nice indeed, I have stayed in the Senegambia and wasn't very impressed although the grounds are pretty good and hold a variety of wildlife as well as birds.
For my next visit I'm going DIY for 2 weeks. Comparing prices it's as cheap as a package holiday but gives me the option to stay at different places which I have organised both directly with the owners or using Travel Republic's web site.
Hidden Gambia ( who are not operating next winter due to , well, problems) have a good selection of accommodation on their web site, try contacting them directly. I did !
Enjoy The Gambia, I think it's my favourite birding destination...well, I keep going back !
cheers Dave

Hi Mark

I haven't stayed there but the Bakuto Hotel at Kotu has a good rep for birding (it's where Chris Packham always stays apparently!) as well as being suitable for non-birding companions. It's also possible to get a reasonably priced package to the Bakotu (Thomas Cook, Gambia Experience) which includes all the transfers, flights etc, which might be easiest for a first time visit, and if you have a non-birding partner. Kotu is near the heart of things and the best place to find a guide if you haven't booked one in advance.

If you wanted something a bit more upmarket for a few days I've always fancied staying at Mandina Lodges, where I gather good birds can be seen while taking it easy around the pool!

We all have our favourite guides so finding a few useful contacts through BF shouldn't be hard.

Personally I wouldn't go for an all-inclusive if (when!) I returned, as I would prefer now spread my tourist pounds around the local businesses rather than give them all to a foreign owned multi-national - which is why I wouldn't chose the Sheraton - but that's a personal principle.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time, I would certainly love to go back.

Roberta

I have had a look around the Bakuto and it looks pretty nice. Not sure you would call the grounds extensive though but it has a viewing platform over the mud flats of Kotu Creek. No direct access to the beach but a short walk.I like Kotu as it's compact, has a great area to wander and not too commercial, Kololi is a bit on the tacky side.
Mandina Lodges do look fabulous, I will try them one day, but in the past I have begrudged paying for stays at other places when I have paid for my accommodation in a package tour, hence going DIY this time around.
It's actually a lot easier than you might imagine. I'm being picked up and transported as part of my accommodation booking and this time I'm staying mainly away from the tourist areas ( but couldn't resist a few nights in Kotu too).

For the independent traveller Jinack lodge on Jinack island is cheap, idyllic and great for birding. They do a boat pick up from Banjul which is an experience in itself and the island is still relatively unknown to birders based on web trip reports I've read.

For the independent traveller Jinack lodge on Jinack island is cheap, idyllic and great for birding. They do a boat pick up from Banjul which is an experience in itself and the island is still relatively unknown to birders based on web trip reports I've read.

That certainly took my fancy, not the easiest to get to but well worth the effort. One for the future.

Personally I wouldn't go for an all-inclusive if (when!) I returned, as I would prefer now spread my tourist pounds around the local businesses rather than give them all to a foreign owned multi-national - which is why I wouldn't chose the Sheraton - but that's a personal principle.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time, I would certainly love to go back.

Roberta[/QUOTE]

Here we go again! Another AI basher!

The Sheraton employ an army of cleaners,cooks,chefs,waiters,admin staff,security staff,managers,gardeners,maintanance staff,pool boys, animation teams,bar staff,beach ,painters and spa staff.

All these people are in receipt of a living wage which is then taken home and ploughed back into the local economy.

The hotel sources local food and drinks supporting the local economy.

The taxi drivers based at the hotel are supported by the guests.
The guests use local travel companies and visit local attractions,shops and bars and restaurants thus supporting the local economy.

The guests also help support the transfer coach staff and airport staff all of whom gain steady employment.

I spoke to a local villager who remembered helping build the hotel in the first place! Another local who benefitted from the Sheraton.

Yes the hotel will have to make a profit over and above but so does every other establishment in the tourist business which employs local staff.

If the Sheraton staff were not employed there they would find work in the tourist strip establishments.The fact they are so happy and have been employed there for so long in many cases,shows that they prefer it at the Sheraton.

The staff were in every case excellent and were generously tipped by many guests[MORE money going back to the local economy!]
So your statement that all your money would to the Sheraton owners and is somehow not spread around the local economy is nonsense if you don't mind me saying!

From a birdwatching point of view it would be hard to beat.
Tanji,Brufut and the hotel environs are all accesible on foot and you are halfway to the Sanyang area which is brilliant.
It is not far from Abuko and the hotel lay on free taxis to the Tourist Strip so you can get to any birdwatching locations in that area.

Last edited:
Here we go again! Another AI basher!

Hi Pratincol

Actually I'm not an AI basher - I have stayed AI in the past but now if I went AI I would prefer it to be where the hotels were both owned as well as staffed by Nationals and where the profits stay in country and don't go to huge multinationals. Everything you say about the benefits of the Sheraton, in terms of staff, tips etc etc, would apply to any hotel (I would hope). As I said, this is a personal preference of mine when I travel. It's not always possible, mainly for safety reasons, for a woman that often travels alone, but I try to do it when I can.

Also I did stay not far from the Sheraton when I was in Gambia and had a bit of a look at it and it just wasn't my cup of tea

I think we should be able to offer alternative opinions, without fear of a Pratincol tongue-lashing! |;|

However given Tanager's requirements it may well be that my recommendations aren't helpful if, as Dave Williams says, the Bakotu grounds aren't that extensive.

with best wishes (and apologies to Tanager for interrupting his thread)

Roberta

I guess the Senegambia has gone downhill since I stayed there 10 years ago - I really liked that hotel - unpretentious, lots of birds on the grounds, good location and great food. Also there was a Belgian owned 'resort' in Tanji that was OK and a good location. Makasutu I found pretentious; I didn't see anything special there and could have easily missed it out.

BTW I found I needed a car even to travel locally eg: Tanji, Marakissa, Abuko, Airport etc etc - (some species are localized) and it was easily the best option to hire a bird guide with their own vehicle.

I recommend going to Basse via Tendaba and Georgetown as well and lots of birds on the south bank route.

Good luck with the Flufftail at Abuko!

I think we should be able to offer alternative opinions, without fear of a Pratincol tongue-lashing! |;|

Roberta[/QUOTE]

To say that all the money AI guests pay, going on an AI holiday, goes to the owners and the locals don't benefit is just plain daft and gives a totally incorrect impression.

These idiotic false perceptions about All Inclusive holidays need to be challenged.

The Sheraton isn't the only foreign owned hotel.If you are so principled about such matters you should enquire who actually owns the hotel you intend to visit.

Last edited:
To say that all the money AI guests pay, going on an AI holiday, goes to the owners and the locals don't benefit is just plain daft and gives a totally incorrect impression.

These idiotic false perceptions about All Inclusive holidays need to be challenged.

The Sheraton isn't the only foreign owned hotel.If you are so principled about such matters you should enquire who actually owns the hotel you intend to visit.
Pratincol

I really don't want to get into a fight with you over this but would prefer to be correctly quoted! I did not say anything about all the money - your emphasis - going abroad, I only mentioned the profits. And I quite agree that we should check the ownership of where we stay, and I do try wherever possible, and accept that for a variety of reasons it isn't always possible to avoid foreign-owned hotels and lodges, and sometimes AI lodges are locally owned.

As I said it is all a matter of opinion and I have mine and others have theirs, but we really shouldn't be unpleasant to each other when they differ. And that is the last I wish to say in this debate with you, it probably doesn't help Tanager choose his place to stay!

You said that you didn't want all your money going to a foreign owned enterprise.
It is quite obvious that money then filters down and benefits the locals so I cannot see your point.

The Sheraton was built with money from Saudi Arabia and actually provides all year round employment.
Not only is it busy during the Tourist Season but open for conferences and meetings for the rest of the year:I am not sure how many hotels in Gambia operate outside the tourist season.

If the Saudis hadn't funded it then it wouldn't be there to provide employment for the locals all year.

We live in a Global Economy and Gambia like every other country in the World benefits from foreign investment or certainly does in this case:the staff earn a living working in a decent hotel and tourists like us enjoy the hotel so we intend to go back again-every one is a winner!

Last edited:
Easy tigers!

Seriously, thanks for all the accommodation recommendations.

All the best,

Mark

Sorry Mark

I guess you can probably tell that essentially everyone loves the Gambia and wants to recommend their favourite bit!

Whatever you choose you will love it!

Roberta

Another vote for Senegambia

I guess the Senegambia has gone downhill since I stayed there 10 years ago - I really liked that hotel - unpretentious, lots of birds on the grounds, good location and great food. Also there was a Belgian owned 'resort' in Tanji that was OK and a good location. Makasutu I found pretentious; I didn't see anything special there and could have easily missed it out.

BTW I found I needed a car even to travel locally eg: Tanji, Marakissa, Abuko, Airport etc etc - (some species are localized) and it was easily the best option to hire a bird guide with their own vehicle.

I recommend going to Basse via Tendaba and Georgetown as well and lots of birds on the south bank route.

Good luck with the Flufftail at Abuko!

We stayed at Senegambia on first visit and while rooms and public area are better at new modern hotels we stayed at Palm ?? on more recent visit (so memorable I can't even recall the full name) we didn't enjoy it as much and actually went back to Senegambia grounds and surrounding area for a day.

We stayed at Senegambia on first visit and while rooms and public area are better at new modern hotels we stayed at Palm ?? on more recent visit (so memorable I can't even recall the full name) we didn't enjoy it as much and actually went back to Senegambia grounds and surrounding area for a day.

The Palm Beach, nice situation right on the mouth of the river at Kotu Creek but a pretty shabby hotel in the public areas at least. I wouldn't want to stay here as it isn't that much cheaper than the Sunset Beach which is on the opposite side and my personal favourite.Mind you , for the Sunset Beach you need to make sure you get a bungalow room.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back