• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Butterflies 2022 (2 Viewers)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Garden butterflies (and other enigmatic/interesting garden invertebrates) from wherever you are ...

Today, Red Admiral and Meadow Brown in the back garden whilst getting the washing in. 2 Ringlet in front garden.

Yesterday 3 Gatekeeper, 3 Ringlet and a Comma, and a Hummingbird Hawk Moth. Nice to see the Gatekeepers again as there seems to be a small colony in the front garden last few years. And a Large White + dragonfly sp. briefly in flight.

Earlier in the year New Zealand Flatworm in the back garden (boo ... ) and a mature (Indian?) Stick Insect when I'd been cutting the brambles. Took photos of both but might not be able to upload ...

Up at the field some interesting butterflies last few days. 25th July - disturbed a fairly tatty Silver-washed Fritillary off the mown grass. Unfortunately it didn't stick. First record for the field and not seen one anywhere for years. Today - first Small Copper of the year, a few moments later followed a white which raced past me - thought I'd better check which one it was. It landed and had a pale green underside with a prominent yellow spot. ?? Then I realised it must be a Clouded Yellow. Handsome bright white upperwing with lots of black on tip though - Clouded Yellow of the Helice form! A first for me. (Other regular butterflies seen too, including first Speckled Wood for some while).

So far this year in my suburban London garden have recorded the following species:

Large White
Small White
Green-veined White
Brimstone
Common Blue
Holly Blue
Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood
Ringlet
Red Admiral
Comma
Peacock
Silver-washed Fritillary

Ringlet (2 sightings of a species that's increasing locally after being largely absent) & SWF are new to the garden this year. The latter species seem to have dispersed quite a bit in the recent very hot spell as there were at least a couple of sightings in central London. My nearest breeding colony in Ruislip Woods is about 5 miles away.

Species seen in previous years but rarities in the garden include:

Small Skipper
Large Skipper
Marbled White
Small Copper
Brown Argus
Purple Hairstreak
Clouded Yellow
Orange Tip
Painted Lady
Small Tortoiseshell

The last 2 can be regular & still a chance for this year.

No doubt in response to global warming! Marbled White, White Admiral, Silver-Washed Fritillary and Purple Emperor have all appeared within the last 5 years locally on an annual basis.
Excepting White Admiral, the rest have made brief incursions through the garden during this period albeit not this year, and perhaps worth mentioning….I had a SWF in 2018 through small gardens opposite Sainsbury’s HQ, Chancery Lane, Holborn.

Cheers

Up the field again this afternoon, and some more quality. Only intermittent sunshine though, so quiet most of the time.

Another Silver-washed Fritillary, this one feeding on Buddlejah with full wings however, and allowed me to see the underside/hindwings, which was very nice. Also a very brief Wall flushed from the short grass, NFY.

Other species seen - Ringlet (worn, first for a while), Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, a couple fresh Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admiral x3, Comma, Large Skipper, Large White, Green-veined White and Speckled Wood.

Also a couple dragonfly sps. , really need to start taking the camera up with me, Garden Warbler singing and a (family?) group of 5 Whitethroat.

Oh and a brief Burnet type moth on bramble flowers briefly. First burnet I've seen there - presumably the 6-spotted as that is the commoner but will probably never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back