• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (14 Viewers)

I had a White-winged gull over y'day. It wasn't my hoped for Glaucous, was probably an 2nd W Iceland, but could possibly have been a leucistic LBBG/Herring. I didn't have bins to hand.

After the more exciting posts above...

Plus 4c this morning ! A Grey heron close by!
56: Grey heron.
3 Lesser redpolls, Grey wagtail over

Just got back from a two day trip to Granite Gorge with non-birding friends. A beautiful peaceful camping spot one hour west of Cairns replete with Mareeba Rock Wallabies everywhere you look. Also had Great Bowerbird, Grey-capped Babbler, Striated Pardalote, Blue-faced Honeyeater, Pied Butcherbird, Pheasant Coucal, Noisy Friarbird, Double-barred Finch, Pale-headed Rosella, Bar-shouldered Dove and lots of amorous Squatter Pigeons; all seen in the camp site as it wasn't really a birding trip. I've known visiting birders to struggle to get Squatters; well Granite Gorge is the place!

A Frill-necked Lizard entertained us running up and down trees as we packed up camp.

Sadly came across a dead Boobook Owl on the side of the Palmerston Highway on the way home (by the very scenic route).

As soon as I stop really trying to add birds at home, I get a Red-necked Crake calling outside Friday night, and finally a Graceful Honeyeater calling out back this evening as I got in from the trip!

63) Red-necked Crake.
64) Graceful Honeyeater.

So much for waiting till winter to get the Crakes...

Last edited:
Some of you are really racing away........I'm still stuck on 46. Not likely to get anything new today............a day of murky gloom as the snow melts.

Warmed up considerably today, only minus ten, light snow. A couple of additions in my Vilnus garden - three Greenfinches have found their way to the sunflowers, a Fieldfare dropped in for apple offerings.

Vilnius

16. Greenfinch
17. Fieldfare

Cracking morning early on, and, if you ignore the full-throttle-throated Song thrush shouting from the poplar top, the first bird of the day was

57 : Mute swan,

in fact three passing low and close on wheezing wings toward the near-risen sun.

Four Linnets are all that remain of the Linnet roost in the bramble patch, and they took off sometime later, while the Peregrine on the steeple left unseen before the day had properly begun, to be replaced by three Kestrels jousting for supremacy of the steeple with Jackdaws and each other. Before that a Sparrowhawk was circling with the courting Rooks, which now seem to spend much of the day wheeling around high in the low cloud.

Mild today: +6c before long.

57 : Mute swan

Four Linnets are all that remain from the roost also the courting Rooks,

...three that I'll be lucky to get!....your now pulling away H...much as I expected.

Will have to spend 9 hours by that bloody window now...instead of the normal eight ;)

Will have to spend 9 hours by that bloody window now...instead of the normal eight ;)

3:)3:)Hahaha

47) Peregrine! There is a big monster pylon that I can see from my house. Haven't seen the Peregrine on it for about a year but it flew in today.:cool:

One from yesterday - was in the lounge when got called out to the kitchen by the girlfriend - 'what's this little brown bird?'

We had a few last year in the snowy spell, didn't think it was going to happen this year.

47) Meadow Pipit

(The second pic is actually it in next doors garden - was moving too fast and blinds getting in the way, so went up to take pic out of bedroom window)

Attachments

• mipit 1.jpg
    mipit 1.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 67
  • mipit 2.jpg
    mipit 2.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Very tidy garden you've got there Dan, do love the upturned bin, discarded cardboard and uncut grass :)

PS what's with the bars? Didn't know Dartmoor was in Cornwall these days!

Last edited:
Very tidy garden you've got there Dan, do love the upturned bin, discarded cardboard and uncut grass :)

PS what's with the bars? Didn't know Dartmorr was in Cornwall these days!

Just not very garden-proud. And the bars are the blinds. It's not actually that bad around here ... ;)

Just to re-iterate - Meadow Pipit is the first bird actually properly in the garden this year. Had a Robin fleetingly on the fence and a Blue Tit fly through, in addition to a few on the roof I already mentioned ...

And today - have cut down the number of hours spent scoping out of the bedroom window (unlike Ken!), so rather surprised to get 2 new birds today.

48) Brent Goose
49) Sandwich Tern

Late morning, as the tide was starting to fall, and just before I was about to go out, had two Brent Goose swim across, and a few minutes later a brief view of a sharp, white winged bird which had to be a Sandwich Tern dropping out of sight ... given that I also couldn't quite decide which Brent Goose they were I jumped in the car and went down to the river for better views - fortunately both were showing well (pics taken from this closer spot, still not that close).

Annoyingly there were also 3 adult Med Gulls asleep on the spit - would have been just out of sight of my window view back home!

Attachments

• brent.jpg
    brent.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 48
  • sarnie tern.jpg
    sarnie tern.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back