• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (5 Viewers)

OK, I know it's a bit feeble, but quite pleased with my garden list for 2012, as it has just surpassed my garden list for all of 2011.... but then, I wasn't really counting properly in 2011... Two Canada Geese flew over very low this morning, taking me to....24! Went to check out the nearest pond (in the direction they were heading) and no sign of them, but very clear as they went over, despite the gloom

Finch Fantastic!

Yet more snow, but what an amazing result in the Vilnius garden. All just metres from the bedroom window, from humble beginnings, the finch flock is now reaching humongous proportions - at least 190 birds: TEN Hawfinches, about 120 Siskins, 30 or so newly arrived Chaffinches, a similar number of Greenfinches and, new in on this day, two most splendid Bramblings, a male and female.

This buzz of colour and bickerings, a snowy backdrop and all the usual Tree Sparrows as added flavour, quite a sight indeed. Also, a small arrival of thrushes and, even better, a Woodlark singing from near the pines at the back, first ever for the garden.

28. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.
29. Woodlark.
30. Song Thrush.
31. Brambling.

Attachments

• Brambling gar 1.jpg
    Brambling gar 1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Finch Fantastic!

Yet more snow, but what an amazing result in the Vilnius garden. All just metres from the bedroom window, from humble beginnings, the finch flock is now reaching humongous proportions - at least 190 birds: TEN Hawfinches, about 120 Siskins, 30 or so newly arrived Chaffinches, a similar number of Greenfinches and, new in on this day, two most splendid Bramblings, a male and female.

This buzz of colour and bickerings, a snowy backdrop and all the usual Tree Sparrows as added flavour, quite a sight indeed. Also, a small arrival of thrushes and, even better, a Woodlark singing from near the pines at the back, first ever for the garden.

28. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.
29. Woodlark.
30. Song Thrush.
31. Brambling.

:-C 1081 miles between London and Vilnius...with such rich woodland avian diversity seemingly'...''excessively disproportionate'' to what amounts to a short 2hour flight! It has to be avian paradise...perhaps one day...

Last edited:
Mentioning the absence of Kites and Eagles had the desired effect yesterday but not the species I expected!

I have a good chance of Brahminy Kite this year (in fact I'm amazed I haven't seen one yet) plus a reasonable chance of both Black and Whistling Kites, so of course first up of the Kites this year was a distant but identifiable Square-tailed Kite to the south; a species I've never even seen over Cairns before! And all the more welcome for it...

78) Square-tailed Kite.

At last! with 3 Redpolls still present on the feeders..grey skies and a cold E/NE wind blowing..a ''now you see it..now you don't''..finally morphing into a Swallow heading North over the trees..no.60, (my second ever..earliest from house..first being on the 2nd a few years back).

At last! with 3 Redpolls still present on the feeders..grey skies and a cold E/NE wind blowing..a ''now you see it..now you don't''..finally morphing into a Swallow heading North over the trees..no.60, (my second ever..earliest from house..first being on the 2nd a few years back).

April 3rd is the most common 'first' date for Swallows here, so I'm surprised yours isn't a few days earlier, Ken. As Joanne: none here yet, despite a few hours in the garden.

April 3rd is the most common 'first' date for Swallows here, so I'm surprised yours isn't a few days earlier, Ken. As Joanne: none here yet, despite a few hours in the garden.

There have been a few Swallows reported in Sussex but the big push is still to happen. On Monday I was in the Cuckmere Valley which channels them inland but not one to be seen. And everyone is saying Sand Martins are late.

I was out and about this morning on my local patch around the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph and the swallows really are beginning to pour in! Unfortunately I have not seen any around our yard yet!

Topical or what?

55) Swallow!!!

One distantly in flight briefly just after we got in this evening.

First addition for 2 weeks, despite a fair amount of scanning. Near misses with Grey Heron and bizarrely a Hobby yesterday which flew north over the housing estate as we were just leaving - I really should've driven back and leapt the garden gate to get it on the list, but had a carload at the time. Had another Sandwich Tern the other day (proper spring migrant this one), and, for the purists, Chiffchaff has now been seen from the garden. The last two days has seen a Magpie IN the garden, Roe Deer and Bunnies have also been added to the garden mammal list recently ( ;) ), and up to 10 Pheasants distantly (including 2 black/glossy dark green birds).

Last edited:

Single digit April Swallow dates from the house...are decidedly scarce hereabouts, third week in April would be nearer the mark. It's sobering to think that here we are..only 25% of the way through the year and I've probably already reached c83% of my prospective annual grdn.ticks! (using 2011 as a ''yardstick'')...Unless their is divine intervention from the great bird gods in the sky..I could well struggle to reach last years figure. :smoke:

Just when I thought it was a tad late...

66 : OSPREY !!!

flew within 100mts c.100 feet up. I had views from more than half a mile away. Brilliant.
This is becoming an annual occurance here, last year March 18th, in 2010 April 4th.

I had reasonable expectations of a Darter at some point this year, probably seen flying over the trees near the Lakes. What I didn't expect was one flying right over my head as I put the rubbish out this morning.

79) Australian Darter.

flew within 100mts c.100 feet up. I had views from more than half a mile away. Brilliant.
This is becoming an annual occurance here, last year March 18th, in 2010 April 4th.

Had one many years ago..c1mile from home!....hope springs eternal..for the yarden list.....:t:

Ps came with a ''surge'' today!..c14 reported throughout the UK Cornwall/Kent/Hereford/Yorks etc...

Last edited:

Had one many years ago..c1mile from home!....hope springs eternal..for the yarden list.....:t:

Nice one H! :t: Only seen one once from my garden; it was 3 or 4 years ago and late summer migration. It flew straight over, high up but one of the big highlights of my garden birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back