• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (15 Viewers)

Unseasonably cool and wet weather at the mo' here in Cairns. My nephew from the UK has come to stay and I figured that during his stay I wouldn't get much, if any time for adding birds to my Garden List.

As we walked out the front this avo talking, I suddenly halted and listened. There was a Leaden Flycatcher calling from the trees the other side of the neighbours' garden! These birds are usually common in Cairns and I've seen them many times from my study window. I don't know where on earth they've been, but this one at least is back.

88) Leaden Flycatcher.

Rather long time since I posted on here, so totals a little out-of-date.

Labanoras.

With the arrival of the last batch, virtually all my summer birds are now in, Red-backed Shrike, Icterine Warbler, Marsh Warbler and Common Rosefinch all new in these last two weeks. Best however, are the Corncrakes singing in the meadows, a treat indeed it is to relax on a bench, sipping coffee with two calling against each other. Also plenty of Golden Orioles in the birches, a Black Redstart finally picked up flitting up onto a roof top and good numbers of butterflies, Dingy Skipper and Swallowtail amongst the treats.

101. Corncrake
102. Red-backed Shrike
103. Black Redstart
104. Marsh Warbler
105. Icterine Warbler
106. Common Rosefinch

ho hum... was feeling all pleased with myself ... reached 30 on my garden list as there were a couple of swifts among the house martins and sand martins over the garden last night... but feel a bit embarrassed now!! It seems many of you have a better garden list than my entire year list, which includes several countries!!

A nice one for me yesterday; only the second time over:

68) Osprey purposely flying north.

Very nice:t:

ho hum... was feeling all pleased with myself ... reached 30 on my garden list as there were a couple of swifts among the house martins and sand martins over the garden last night... but feel a bit embarrassed now!! It seems many of you have a better garden list than my entire year list, which includes several countries!!

Don't forget a lot of the gardens are in areas of higher bird species diversity (eg abroad ;) ), by the coast, with far-reaching views or of substantial size ...

Very nice:t:

Don't forget a lot of the gardens are in areas of higher bird species diversity (eg abroad ;) ), by the coast, with far-reaching views or of substantial size ...
Higher species diversity yes;
by the coast, no;
Far-reaching views (between a gap in the forest in one direction, just about...);
Substantial size, hell no.;)

My species seen within walking distance of home this year list is however rather more impressive and currently stands at 171.

Ooo, I had a lovely addition yesterday. 60. Black heron, umbrella feeding in my fish pond just like on the nature shows. I totally did an Attenborough voice. My dog got all confused.

And, I finally identified 61. Lazy cisticola.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back