• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

Almost forgot in the photo posting frenzy - two new species today!

45) Coot
46) Long-tailed Tit

Saw the Coot at closer range earlier in the day when we went down to Lidl's (also had a Merlin fly over!), scoping later in the afternoon eventually produced the goods. The LTTit appeared momentarily in the bottom of the field of view moments later, which was nice! Stock Dove and Dunlin were only possibles ...

On the feeding front, put some bread out on the garage roof yesterday in the vain hope, not so much of a woodpecker, but of a House Sparrow or something similar to occur within the bounds of the property. Did manage to entice a single Carrion Crow and a Magpie in though, over the two days, bringing to 4 the number of species seen in the garden - CC and Magpie, Jackdaw (flythrough, presumably landed on roof above my head), and Herring Gull on the roof. Gripping stuff!

Despite the fog a single male

53 : Siskin

managed to find my niger feeder.

Took two years for Goldfinches (first customers) to find mine!..and that was a wall to wall blue sky day..if memory serves.

Did a 1.5 hr. stint this am, hoping for a ''hard weather'' movement of something ''interesting''.....noted that thrush numbers were significantly down..so I concentrated on ''snapping'' the Redpolls, and an almost confiding solitary Redwing (old white-tail)..been site faithful since Dec.9th.

Apart from four sightings of Legret (same bird hunting I know not what?) in the woodland stream outback..I was totally surprised!..when a ''ragged chevron'' of Golden Plover flew over at 3.55pm (only 2nd ever sighting).

Paid my homage to the great bird gods in the sky...and made a well earned cup of tea....51...pulling out to overtake H..;)

Attachments

• Rose Redpoll for web.jpg
    Rose Redpoll for web.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Redwing for web.jpg
    Redwing for web.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 81
61. tufted duck
62. GREEN-WINGED TEAL - though see "Eden estuary news" for possible self-doubts as to purity.
63. siskin
64. yellowhammer
65. little grebe.

As it was our 4th GWT (3rd self-found) I think the prolonged views of otter on Saturday make it "bird" of the weekend.

Rob

Almost forgot in the photo posting frenzy - two new species today!

45) Coot
46) Long-tailed Tit

Saw the Coot at closer range earlier in the day when we went down to Lidl's (also had a Merlin fly over!), scoping later in the afternoon eventually produced the goods. The LTTit appeared momentarily in the bottom of the field of view moments later, which was nice! Stock Dove and Dunlin were only possibles ...

On the feeding front, put some bread out on the garage roof yesterday in the vain hope, not so much of a woodpecker, but of a House Sparrow or something similar to occur within the bounds of the property. Did manage to entice a single Carrion Crow and a Magpie in though, over the two days, bringing to 4 the number of species seen in the garden - CC and Magpie, Jackdaw (flythrough, presumably landed on roof above my head), and Herring Gull on the roof. Gripping stuff!

I already had coot for you! Perhaps I am psychic!

We are on 201 if we include both Common Redpoll and Green-winged Teal.

Golden Plover was the 200th.

More gardens with Little Egret and Raven, than Mallard!

Almost tropical at minus 18 this morning, but now snowing - light and steady.

One addition to the Vilnius garden - Bullfinches calling from over the hedge somewhere. Didn't make any serious expedition to track them own.

Vilnius

15. Bullfinch.

I already had coot for you! Perhaps I am psychic!

Perhaps, although more worryingly, are you admitting to keeping lists/tabs on us all? ... it's a slippery slope ...

:eek!:

I actually dreamt I had Long-tailed Tit the night before, should have posted that up - however I also had Great White Egret and 2 Jack Snipe on my garden dream list a week or so earlier. Probably spending too much time staring out the window ...

Perhaps, although more worryingly, are you admitting to keeping lists/tabs on us all? ... it's a slippery slope ...

:eek!:

I actually dreamt I had Long-tailed Tit the night before, should have posted that up - however I also had Great White Egret and 2 Jack Snipe on my garden dream list a week or so earlier. Probably spending too much time staring out the window ...

I am the George........er...Dukakis of Garden Listing

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2325181&postcount=35

I draw your attention to number 7

Minus six and clear at last, with a good cold weather movement early morn. Two possible Waxwings too far and too brief to call, and two possible Meadow pipits against the sun which refused to call!
But later a whole flock (of five) of

54 : Lawings

flew distantly past, then, much later two

55 : Golden plover

passed low and close and descended to the field adjacent!

Late morning I decided to go for a ''fully extended'' crunch through the deep 'n' crisp 'n' even...snapping Viking hordes of Fieldfare and Redwing on my way, as they pillaged the Hips and Haws in typical fashion! What else would you expect from these Fenno Scandinavians? Then hearing the dulceit tones from the sub-continent (see pic below)..just a tad incongruous to say the least. Upon returning home (3.20pm)..I had a quick ten minutes at the window (as you do)....apart from a black sillhouetted ''Pigeon'' sitting perhaps a couple of feet below the crown of a bare Oak..c150m out and soaking up the Western sun..just the regulars in the garden. After a few minutes had passed, the said black ''Pigeon'' was still sitting there..and I thought ''hang-on'' something not quite right with this fella!..It was still static, I could see no detail..just a black shape with a partly obscured tail..I was ''struggling'' to qualify my doubt, when the penny dropped! The crown was very flat, giving a relatively short neck appearance..a sprawk?..I mused..when it launched down (at this point it looked long-winged..ie falcon like), and disappeared..for a nano-second..before re-appearing over my back fence as a blurring projectile 12' away directly over my head and roof, before vanishing out of sight. The said ''blur was mostly brown with some grey..can't reconcile where the ''grey bit'' was..as it's lightning speed was too much for my retentive capacity..must remember to upgrade..;)...However I will keep my mince pies open as I'm still ''heaving'' with Thrushes...and it's not just sprawks that hunt these woods.

Attachments

• Fieldfare Ching.Plain.jpg
    Fieldfare Ching.Plain.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
  • RRParakeet.jpg
    RRParakeet.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Redwing on patio holding Ivy berry. for the web.jpg
    Redwing on patio holding Ivy berry. for the web.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 78
A few spare minutes out of the window resulted in a couple of

46) Stock Dove,

distantly in flight. The light was really rather good, and if I'd more time I'm sure I would have picked up a record-breaking distant Blackbird or something. As it was had a garden-mega - a Robin perched on the garden fence!!!

(Yet to even see a Redpoll in Cornwall, although had my first Fieldfare of the year yesterday nearby)

Having looked at photos of the hybrid teal at Rossie Bog last March, I think green-winged teal will have to be struck off.

Back to 64.

Rob

I added Grey Heron 2 days ago and more remarkably, a Buzzard came low over the garden and really up the wind up the Runner Ducks - only my 4th ever and the 2nd in airspace!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back