• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2023 (3 Viewers)

Autumn in the air, exodus of White Storks beginning, only a couple this afternoon, plus the annual influx of Nutcrackers - three hoping to get something from the rather depleted stock of hazelnuts this year. Also passage Hobby and Lesser Spotted Eagle, plus a trickle of Sparrowhawks. A few Spotted Flycatchers moving through.

On the summery feel, a late flock of about 60 Swifts this afternoon, mingling with abundant hirundines.

139. Nutcracker

Last edited:
I decided to go through the weeks shots for deletion and downloading, where I had a lot of surplus somewhat bleached images. Particularly those Willow Warblers that were shot “post sunrise” when to my surprise, I found a “2nd in 40 years” No.78….making Monday a four tick day!
Please can you enlighten us as to which species you are talking about here because from looking at the photos you have posted I am genuinely none the wiser! I cannot tell if you are trying to claim a wood warbler which definitely isn't what any of your photos show???

Please can you enlighten us as to which species you are talking about here because from looking at the photos you have posted I am genuinely none the wiser! I cannot tell if you are trying to claim a wood warbler which definitely isn't what any of your photos show???
I don’t believe I mentioned Wood Warbler?, (Willow yes), indeed I’ve never had one in the garden. Most of the people on this garden forum can probably work them out, if you feel the ID’s are beyond you, then select another forum.

I don’t believe I mentioned Wood Warbler?, (Willow yes), indeed I’ve never had one in the garden. Most of the people on this garden forum can probably work them out, if you feel the ID’s are beyond you, then select another forum.
You didn't mention any species for what your new tick actually is that's the point 😅 I cannot work out which of your photos is the new species, perhaps you are trying to claim the first photo is a sedge warbler but I am far from convinced by that ID!

You didn't mention any species for what your new tick actually is that's the point 😅 I cannot work out which of your photos is the new species, perhaps you are trying to claim the first photo is a sedge warbler but I am far from convinced by that ID!

You mentioned Sedge Warbler you must feel their is some likeness then? 😮

I think it would really help, Ken, if you could actually just tell us what you are claiming rather than making us guess what you are talking about.
No. 78 - what was it, and which photo, if any does it relate to?

Autumn in the air, exodus of White Storks beginning, only a couple this afternoon, plus the annual influx of Nutcrackers - three hoping to get something from the rather depleted stock of hazelnuts this year. Also passage Hobby and Lesser Spotted Eagle, plus a trickle of Sparrowhawks. A few Spotted Flycatchers moving through.

On the summery feel, a late flock of about 60 Swifts this afternoon, mingling with abundant hirundines.

139. Nutcracker
Well we’ve got a bumper crop of hazelnuts in these parts Jos and as you are finding, the Nutcracker raids are well underway now, unusually this year they’ve been within earshot all through Spring and Summer so it wasn’t a huge surprise to see one adult feeding a begging youngster a few days ago. Still no flycatcher or migrating passerine action yet, but plenty of vulture activity, two Cinereous together with one Lammergeier and c20 Griffon this evening. I have been worried about the fact that I seem to be the only one reporting them on Faune France so was mighty relieved just now to see someone else has already put an observation of today’s birds on the site. My reputation is intact !

« What reputation? » I hear you ask ;)

Well we’ve got a bumper crop of hazelnuts in these parts Jos and as you are finding, the Nutcracker raids are well underway now, unusually this year they’ve been within earshot all through Spring and Summer so it wasn’t a huge surprise to see one adult feeding a begging youngster a few days ago. Still no flycatcher or migrating passerine action yet, but plenty of vulture activity, two Cinereous together with one Lammergeier and c20 Griffon this evening. I have been worried about the fact that I seem to be the only one reporting them on Faune France so was mighty relieved just now to see someone else has already put an observation of today’s birds on the site. My reputation is intact !

« What reputation? » I hear you ask ;)
If you're overloaded, I accept hazelnuts by post :)

If you're overloaded, I accept hazelnuts by post :)
I wonder whether you could try them on Nutella instead Jos (other hazelnut-based spreads are of course available…). I wouldn’t mind so much if the Nutcrackers would just wait until the hazelnuts ripen, but they strip them off the bushes before they’ve gone brown :cautious:

I’m not sure which is the supposed Sedge Warbler, but the ‘rufous’ Garden Warbler looks more like a Whitethroat.

The first one is imo a Sedge Warbler, slightly muted by the low sun at 6.15 am, if you disagree then you’ll have to give me an alternative, I think that’s fair?

The 2nd image is the GW, note the grey toes, yes these two can confuse even the most senior observers.😮
I will download a few more tomorrow, to assist the ongoing speculation!

A few more GW’s to cogitate over BH….
+ no.79.😊

Attachments

• DSC05683.jpeg    GW Pose 4.jpeg
    DSC05683.jpeg GW Pose 4.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC05671.jpeg    GW.Pose 3..jpeg
    DSC05671.jpeg GW.Pose 3..jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05669.jpeg   GW Pose 2..jpeg
    DSC05669.jpeg GW Pose 2..jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05661.jpeg    GW Pose1..jpeg
    DSC05661.jpeg GW Pose1..jpeg
    537.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05644.jpeg   Flying GW2..jpeg
    DSC05644.jpeg Flying GW2..jpeg
    996.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The first one is imo a Sedge Warbler, slightly muted by the low sun at 6.15 am, if you disagree then you’ll have to give me an alternative, I think that’s fair?
It could well be a sedge warbler but given that theres so many photo artefacts and lots of features are obscured by branches it could also easily be a willow warbler in my opinion, and since you didnt ID it in the field but only from photos after the fact it certainly wouldnt be going on my list if I were in your shoes!

Mottled lesser coverts, faint streaking to the upper breast, streaking to the crown, dark prims.white UTC’s, contrasty white super, don’t fill me with confidence for WWarbler. Is there any other confusion species you might call on?

Looks like a Whitethroat (if anything) to me, Ken. I can't see any streaking anywhere.
Well I can H!....possibly an eyesight differential?
Anyway, the Gods answered again this am, with a 2nd foy Common Whitethroat + a garden 1st no.80.🤩🍺

Attachments

• IMG_7467.jpeg
    IMG_7467.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7469.jpeg
    IMG_7469.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7468.jpeg
    IMG_7468.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
As requested…”looks a bit like” P.sibilatrix BH!😮…..need to lie down now.
It’s been a momentous “7 tick” week.👍

Attachments

• DSC06477.jpeg     Wood Warbler 2..jpeg
    DSC06477.jpeg Wood Warbler 2..jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC06476.jpeg    Wood Warbler5..jpeg
    DSC06476.jpeg Wood Warbler5..jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06474.jpeg    Wood Warbler 6..jpeg
    DSC06474.jpeg Wood Warbler 6..jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC06473.jpeg   Wood Warbler 4..jpeg