• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (3 Viewers)

Fresh crisp snow, a lovely blue sky and sun making it look a treat, even better for a dead cute Pygmy Owl sitting enjoying the sunshine this morning just beyond my feeders, not appreciated very much by the rest of the birds.

Whooper Swans and White-tailed Eagles lingering despite the continuing hold of winter. From the comfort of bed, both Grey-headed Woodpecker and Great Grey Shrike today too.

25. Pygmy Owl
Which one dodges, Pygmy O. or Great GS?

I think I'm a few weeks behind with this, not that there is much to catch up with tbh! All flyovers:

38. Lapwing
39. Feral pigeon
40. Peregrine
41 Skylark

Spring is in the air here so hopefully pick up a few more soon.

I have never seen any interaction between Pygmy Owl and Great Grey Shrike at my feeders - primarily because Pygmy Owl is not particularly frequent on my land (occurs every second winter or so, but I tend to see irregularly even when present ) and they tend to occupy different micro habitat (the owl in areas with more trees, shrike more open - but overlapping when actively visiting the bird feeders).

They both hunt Great and Blue Tits at the feeders and both are pretty small birds themselves - the shrike does not bother with woodpeckers etc and I don't think they would seriously take on a Pygmy Owl. Same vice versa. I would guess the shrike might engage in mobbing of the owl as many birds do, bt nothing more (this week's Pygmy Owl was collecting a fan club of assorted small birds, plus Jay and Gt Sp Woodpecker)

It’s never too late for 58!…Teal winging North fast and low…just! 😊 + a trip outback in the woods ystrdy. got me an imaged male..for the first time ever.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    657.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I would guess the shrike might engage in mobbing of the owl as many birds do, bt nothing more (this week's Pygmy Owl was collecting a fan club of assorted small birds, plus Jay and Gt Sp Woodpecker)
I've seen GGShrike mobbing Northern Hawk Owl. Maybe Pygmy and GGS respect each others so much that they don't mob each other? But it would be interesting to see what happens when they meet on same "dining table".

Attachments

• Isolanttu&hipö&räxyP2640089.JPG
    Isolanttu&hipö&räxyP2640089.JPG
    740.3 KB · Views: 10
...but then back to threads main business.

#20. White-tailed Eagle - adult
Nice one, we may get to see them here in the next few years as the (re??) introduction scheme near Geneva grows, one of the released young birds was tracked over here last year...
Tomorrow marks exactly one year since I first spotted a Black Grouse on the Sulens mountain across the valley so the 'scope is permanently set up pointing in that direction. There were at least three visible early this morning clambering in the branches on the tree line, it's between 2.5 and 3kms from our window so a bit of a stretch for the camera (see photos).
My next target species in my 'Extreme (distance!) Garden Birding' quest are local residents Dipper and Goosander, I realised this winter that when there are no leaves on the trees I can see a 25m stretch of the river (see the challenge in the two other photos) so, using all my ex Selsey Bill seawatcher qualities (stoicism, patience, obsessional tendencies.....) I have already spent several hours staring at the water tumbling down the river - to no avail of course (just like scanning from Selsey Bill in fact ;) ). But maybe I'll get lucky.
A bit nearer to the house this morning was the first returning

48 Song Thrush

blasting out its song. Average arrival date here is 21 Feb, last year was the earliest ever for us here on 15 Feb.

Attachments

• DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0528.JPG
    DSCN0528.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0526.JPG
    DSCN0526.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 15
Two more additions today, very expected species - Willow Tits (had several joining the Marsh Tits before Christmas, but they seemd to have vanished ...two new ones today on the feeders) and Goldfinch (flock of about 12 across the snowy meadows)

26. Willow Tit
27. Goldfinch

Still two usual woodpecker species (Black and White-backed) strangely absent since the turn of the year

Winter's grip slipping, temperatures nudging a few degrees above zero, significant snow melt this day, the land now a patchwork of snow and grass ...and with it, immediate signs of spring - a Lapwing settling aside a frozen pool behind my house - my earliest record here (earliest previous was 1 March). And, not long after, while drinking coffee on the veranda (gloves and warm wear very much a required accessory), six Skylarks flew over calling...also my earliest ever (previous earliest 20 February). Yay, almost summer!

Three White-tailed Eagles also over, plus first Common Buzzard of the year. Grey-headed Woodpeckers still on the feeders, but also a return of two absentees - one very vocal Black Woodpecker in fine form, calling all morning, flying back and fro, then in the evening White-backed Woodpecker too, either just very enthusiastically hammering a dead tree or beginning to excavate a nest hole. Completing the day's good tally, the resident Grey Grey Shrike appeared in a tree top near the house and decided a little spot of spring singing was in order.

28. Lapwing
29. Common Buzzard
30. Black Woodpecker
31. White-backed Woodpecker
32. Skylark

Out before it was properly light this morning to check my moth trap, on for the first time this year - just two moths in it but one was a new one for me, Oak Beauty.
A very still morning and just audible in the distance.......
February 17th
52. Green Woodpecker

Three more, a visit by Greenfinch (an occasional bird here in winter), two early Herring Gulls (first ever February record of any gull species on my land) and two fly-over Greylag Geese, a few hours later another four- only my 6th and 7th ever records for my land, all in very early spring (these constituted another earliest ever record, previous five record between 26 February and 11 March).
Following on from first records of Lapwing and Skylarks yesterday, more today - 30 Lapwings in the evening, about 35 Skylarks

33. Greylag Goose
34. Herring Gull
35. Greenfinch

Last edited:
An addition today:-

35 - Collared Dove

A few obvious gaps at the moment. (My on foot list from home is on 77 species so maybe if I pay attention, it may increase again soon.)

All the best

Paul

Uncommon bird in Lithuania (and decidedly rare in eastern Lithuania), would be pretty mega on my land ...saw a pair about 10 km away once and had poor views of a flying bird over my land once that I think was one, but unfortunately spotted it just as it vanished behind trees.

I had no idea! I see that I had it at Kolka last time I went there in 2022. Not on my eBird list for Finland. But it just had not registered that they peter out as you head north.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217_170011_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240217_170011_Chrome~2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 6
A better day today.
2 new for year,including first garden tick this year.
79 - Spotted Redshank, 1 on Long Bank Marsh with 300+ Redshank.
80 - Pallid Harrier, 1st winter,went back north. Third time it's been seen in last week. Garden List #215

I had no idea! I see that I had it at Kolka last time I went there in 2022. Not on my eBird list for Finland. But it just had not registered that they peter out as you head north.

All the best

Paul
The ebird map is not far off, but not completely representative either. They can be found at scattered points right along the coastal strip in Lithuania, typically a single pair here and there, usually in small towns. Unlike the ebird map, this would be right up to the Latvian border and I would expect similar on the Latvian side, hence yours in Kolka.

I am in that void in the eastern side of Lithuania where ebird shows no records ...not including the pair 10 km from me that I mentioned in the previous post, I have seen very very few in the east.

Gotta be a tough dove to hack it here 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back