• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going to Utila for some birding (1 Viewer)

Amazonas_Alex

amazon guy in excil
Me and my wife are going to spend our holiday on Utila Island (Bay Islands), Honduras. We are going away in late April and will be away for about two-two and a half weeks (depending on the weather). I have not found much info about this small Island and the information seems to be limited to where to find the best beaches and where to go shopping, something that my wife is intrested in but not me ;)

So aim planing to do some birding while she is away shopping, but as I said the info about good birding localities and which species to be found is rather limited.

So, anyone which have visited Utila at some point?

I would be glad if you would share you experiences of this Island and maybe inform me of some good birding spots, not one which is crowded with tourists and where you might have a tiny chance of spotting that extremely rare Chachalaca o:)

There really is very little information on this location. I have a brief account on my website, but I didn't really go there on a birding holiday. Howell and Webb give a species list in the appendix for the whole Bay Islands. There is also some information on birds of the Bay Islands on http://www.birdinghonduras.com/, including David Medina's list. There will probably be some info in the book Birding Honduras which goes with the website, but I don't have it with me at the moment to check. I would be very interested in hearing about what you see. There are a few local specialties around, such as the Yucatan Vireo, which has a tiny world distribution. Your best bet will be the migrants.

Are you planning to be there during Semana Santa, which is the week leading up to Easter? This is the busiest week of the year and you will need to book up in advance. That was the week that I visisted a few years ago and it was very difficult to find accommodation. Eventually, 3 of us had to pack into one tiny room. It was pretty basic, but cost us only 5 dollars per night in total. By the way, exactly where is your wife planning to do her shopping while you go birding? She may be in for a bit of shock if she is expecting anything fancy.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks once again Tom,

I hadent noticed the part about the Bay Islands on your website, it added a few species that I didnt know occured on these Islands, aim pretty sure that Utila and Roatan has about the same species.

Yes the Yucatán Vireo is one of those species I definitely wants to see, I have visited the Yucatán peninsula three times without seeing this bird.

We will be there during Easter, we booked hotel rooms already in October, and aim lucky I did, it seems that everything is fully bocked now as a freind of mine was planing to come along

I have only been there for scuba diving, which is excellent. The island has only one street (notice I said street not road). No cars just a few ATV's ad golf carts for cruising the main street. No shopping except in a few small gift shops. This is REALLY a small community. I enjoyed my visit there and met many nice folks. I would go back again for diving. It is a charming place, but not sure I would spend 2.5 weeks birding there.

sbrasuel said:
not sure I would spend 2.5 weeks birding there.
I totally agree with sbrasuel on this. It is not a major birding location and, although there are some good birds, you will soon run out of things to see. If you are there for that long you should spend some time on the mainland which is a short boat ride away. Pico Bonito National Park is close by along with several other good locations. Everything is cheap in Honduras, so it will not add much to the cost of your holiday.

Tom

tomjenner said:
I totally agree with sbrasuel on this. It is not a major birding location and, although there are some good birds, you will soon run out of things to see. If you are there for that long you should spend some time on the mainland which is a short boat ride away. Pico Bonito National Park is close by along with several other good locations. Everything is cheap in Honduras, so it will not add much to the cost of your holiday.

Tom

Yes but as it aint a pure birding trip we are going on, the number or which species really dosent matter and aim happy to see any kind of birds, aslo pretty sure that I will see at least some lifer, I dont want to sun and bath all days so I just go birding a few days to get a bit of variation on the holiday. Both me and my wife scuba dives and thats the reason why we choosed this Island.

I think I will stick to the Island, boat rides just give me a headache, aim also happy if its few birders

You will enjoy the diving for sure. You have a great chance to see whale sharks. It's an awsome experience. Also, there are lots of sand fleas so bring long pants and long sleeve shirt.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back