• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagle over York!! 10am 18th July (1 Viewer)

MrsAquila

United Kingdom
A golden eagle just flew South East over my garden in York!!! I have contacted Roy Dennis Foundation to see if there's any tracking for it. I would LOVE it if someone else saw it too!!!!!

How much experience do you have of the Golden Eagle? Would appreciate a short description of the bird in question on this site if you could?

How much experience do you have of the Golden Eagle? Would appreciate a short description of the bird in question on this site if you could?
I am obsessed with them after having a very close chance encounter in Haweswater in 1999. What sort of description do you want? Timings and flight paths or an actual description of a golden eagle?

York Bird Of Prey Centre appear to have a Golden Eagle in their collection. Not sure of the likelihood of it actually flying over York - though I suspect if it wanted to go for a wee tour, there's not a lot the handlers could do about it once it was in the air, assuming they fly it outside - I guess they must fly it to keep it fit & healthy etc). Possibly slightly more likely than a wild bird? Might be something somewhere on social media if their bird did do a spot of touring today.

They should be dispersing from the breeding grounds around this time of year, I was up on skye a couple of weeks back specifically to see them. I really hope some do start to disperse further south! Eagles are just amazing to see and compare to our usual English fair.

York Bird Of Prey Centre appear to have a Golden Eagle in their collection. Not sure of the likelihood of it actually flying over York - though I suspect if it wanted to go for a wee tour, there's not a lot the handlers could do about it once it was in the air, assuming they fly it outside - I guess they must fly it to keep it fit & healthy etc). Possibly slightly more likely than a wild bird? Might be something somewhere on social media if their bird did do a spot of touring today.
Yes that's possible, although I haven't seen it mentioned in our local news. I have contacted South of Scotland Golden Eagle Project to see if they can shed any light. We had one really close to here in 2020 (about 20 miles away)

They should be dispersing from the breeding grounds around this time of year, I was up on skye a couple of weeks back specifically to see them. I really hope some do start to disperse further south! Eagles are just amazing to see and compare to our usual English fair.
Me too!!! They are so amazing to see. I hung around Ben Nevis for ages one year after some sightings, to no avail. So to see one over my garden actually had me shaking! I still would love to know more about the individual or at least find someone else in Yorkshire who happened to look up at the right time like me that day!!!

Me too!!! They are so amazing to see. I hung around Ben Nevis for ages one year after some sightings, to no avail. So to see one over my garden actually had me shaking! I still would love to know more about the individual or at least find someone else in Yorkshire who happened to look up at the right time like me that day!!!
I take it female Common Buzzard has been discounted from your thoughts? Obviously I don’t know your past experiences of Golden Eagles. I live in York and Buzzards are seen every day.

Last edited:
I take it female Common Buzzard has been discounted from your thoughts? Obviously I don’t know your past experiences of Golden Eagles. I live in York and Buzzards are seen every day.
Haha yesss!! There's no comparison between a buzzard and a golden eagle, once you've seen a golden eagle!! I love buzzards though, they're probably my favourite bird, I used to live close to a woods in Cumbria where lots of pairs nested and I loved watching them for hours.

Yes that's possible, although I haven't seen it mentioned in our local news. I have contacted South of Scotland Golden Eagle Project to see if they can shed any light. We had one really close to here in 2020 (about 20 miles away)
Would it not make sense to contact them and ask if their Eagle was flying (and potentially wandering) at the time of your sighting, before chasing up the marginally less likely wild option?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back