• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good budget reverse porros 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Scousejoe,

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that you started that a pair of Opticron 8x25 would suit your type of use. Withy that previous recommendation in mind you should try a pair of Opticron Taiga 8x25. Which in my humble opinion are perhaps the best quality sub £100 binoculars that Opticron have Link here

What would be a good pair of budget reverse porros for about £100 for birding ?

I'm not aware of an 8x32 reverse porro prism binocular, but there certainly may be some made. 8x32 is a fairly common size for both porrro and roof prism binoculars. My preference would be either 8x30 or 8x32 in a porro design.

See this thread with the only picture of a 8x32 reverse porro I know of (Möller & Wedel 8x32 Marox, Germany, made in the 1950s)

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=143637

Swift made a very nice reverse porro 9 x 36 around 1980 but it was IF. I had an opportunity to try one out at Hawk Mountain. It was quite bright and sharp. And I believe (correct me here if I am wrong) that about the same time Nikon made a couple of "Executive" binoculars that were RP. One was a 9 x 31 I think.

Bob

What would be a good pair of budget reverse porros for about £100 for birding ?

Taking your specs seriously, as others have done, the closest semi-current and still semi-available product that I know of is the Bushnell 8x30 Natureview. It sells for under $100 in the USA, so I'd hope it would sell for under 100 British pounds or 100 Euro. Otherwise, I'd go with a good (and much more widely available) 8x25, like the Nikon 8x25 Prostaff, or similar from Opticron, Olympus, Pentax.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back