• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion 10x56 (1 Viewer)

Sterngucker

I am currently looking at 10x56s ... a breed which like 7x binos is getting rarer, or maybe it always was that way.
Anyhow, does anyone here have a GPO Passion 10x56 they could share their experience with? Or maybe point me to a RELIABLE review, ie. not Amazon buyers or similarly rancid.
(I am aware of GPO's company history. I have emailed with Mr. Jensen. I just need real life gen on that particular model from their lineup)

Just a heads up regarding the focus, some OP have used them, and their only beef with them was the focus began to have some slop. Otherwise the optics were excellent.

Andy W.

I am currently looking at 10x56s ... a breed which like 7x binos is getting rarer, or maybe it always was that way.
Hi,

is probably related to the new hunting possibilities, keyword thermal imaging cameras and night vision devices, the hunters are upgrading ...

Andreas

Anyhow, does anyone here have a GPO Passion 10x56 they could share their experience with?
I have the Passion 10x56 binoculars. Which aspects are more interesting for you? Are you going to use it in daytime, dusk time or night observations?

The Passion 10x56 is big (200mm of length) and heavy (1250gr of weight) binoculars. The view is stable enough for long observations,
much more stable, than in 10x42 format. And the view is much more relaxed because of the bigger size of the exit pupil.
The eye relief is stiff, i do not see the whole field of the view with sunglasses on. The available eye relief can be: 11 - 7 - 3мм depending on the eye cup position.

It uses AK prisms, which gives some advantages:
-Good 3D view, almost like in Porro format;
-Bright, transparent and neutral view (better than Spectra 8x42 daytime). The light transmission could be around 90%.

The color reproduction is very good, slightly green. More neutral, than the GPO Spectra 8x42 or even the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32 has.
Good sharpness on axis, almost close to the Conquest HD 10x32.
The aberration correction over the field of the view is average, though the main aberration is field curvature. Edge softness could be noticed daytime, and become very pronounced in evening (or by stars).
The AFOV is almost 61°.

The Passion has strong pincushion distortion (straight lines are curved enough at edges). The angle distortion is positive as well (the magnification is lower on axis and higher on the edges) and at a high level.
Both types of distortions are positive, add with each other, and i can see some field curvature during panning. But no Rolling Balls effect.

I guess the Passion uses the same cheap ED glass in the objective, as the Spectra. But because of the format 10x56 and AK prisms, Chromatic Aberration is higher in the Passion 10x56 than in the Spectra 8x42, and noticeable enough.
But lower in the Passion 10x56 than in the Saga 10x56. So on the medium level. A bit higher in the Passion 10x56, than in the Conquest HD 10x32, on axis and edges.

Unfortunately, i've had no chance to compare the Passion to Zeiss siblings: Conquest HD 10x56 and Victory HT 10x54. I compared it to my Conquest HD 10x32 and the Saga 10x56 only. The view is much better in the Passion 10x56 than in the Saga 10x56. And the Passion 10x56 is a little better than the Spectra 8x42 (except CA control), almost on par with the Conquest HD 10x32. I think the Passion 10x56 will be very close in the performance (or maybe equal) to the Conquest HD 10x56, keeping the price difference in mind.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that comprehensive report. I am looking at 10x56s for dawn and dusk wildlife observation (and generally a bit more reach) and the GPO as a new kid on the block with apparently some rather fit people in the team got my attention due to its price. The other 'contestants' are the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Steiner HX. Swarovski dropped out when they discontinued their SLC line.

Hi SG,

Although the x42 SLC’s have been/ will be discontinued, that is not the case with the larger x56 models
So the 10x56 is still a possibility

See the pages from a 2020/ 2021 export listing dated July 2020. It shows the details for the SLC’s and the explanatory key
As can be seen, the AOD (asterisk of death) is only next to the x42 models

The listing basically coincides with the introduction of the x42 NL’s, and can be found at:
https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Retail-price-list-Export-2020-21?language=en_US

John

Attachments

• SLC offerings.jpg
    SLC offerings.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Key to markings.jpg
    Key to markings.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hi JAR,
Thanks for clearing that up. I was unaware of that fine distinction. I guess that means I will remove the GPOs from my consideration after reading dae33's review but keep the SLCs in the race. Oh well, three left ... eenie, meenie, minie, moe ...

PS. Are those prices US$?

Thank you very much for that comprehensive report. I am looking at 10x56s for dawn and dusk wildlife observation (and generally a bit more reach) and the GPO as a new kid on the block with apparently some rather fit people in the team got my attention due to its price. The other 'contestants' are the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Steiner HX. Swarovski dropped out when they discontinued their SLC line.
You are welcome.
The Passion 10x56 shines at dusk time. As any x56 binoculars do, their main purpose is night hunting\wildlife observation.
CA becomes not visible, and soft edges less pronounced.
I can see more details during the night in the Passion 10x56, than in the Pentax WP 10x50 Porro.
The extra aperture of the Passion "highlights" any objects, 3D detach them from the background, soft edges make an accent on the centre objects in focus.
Good sharpness on axis helps to identify the object you are looking at. The field curvature plus strong pincushion distortion (non flat field design) lets you see more details before and after the focus distance (good depth of focus). In SLC x56 the depth of focus will be less, i think.
IMO, SLC x56 is better for stargazing, while Passion x56 and Conquest x56\Victory x54 for land observation.

I am happy to live with some edge distortion if in return I get good 3d and depth of field. It is a reason I am a fan of porros, but the only 10x56 porro I know about, the Steiner ShadowQuest/Nighthunter, disappeared without trace after a very short production run to be replaced by the current HX 10x56. I have the HX 8x42 and am very happy with it which is how the HX 10x56 made it onto the list of contenders.
The Zeiss conquest is on the list because Zeiss should always be considered. The HT however is not, because unlike some I live within my means and with financial realities and before I spend 3k on a pair of binos that aren't twice times as good as their 1.5k brethren (law of diminishing returns) I will replace the shitty heating system in my Airstream for the next traveling season.

I tested practically in very advanced twilight:
  • modern coatings, researched (allbinos.com) 85% to 90%, 8x42, 10x42
  • versus Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50 (allbinos.com probably exaggerated, assumption 80%):
In far advanced twilight hardly any differences, no practically relevant differences!

Practically very interesting: A too slow and a too fast focus drive (transmission) leads to overlooking the target!!! Personally, I find the gear ratio of a Nikon Monarch MHG 8x42 (1 + 1/2 rotation) best for detecting targets in the range up to 100 m in advanced twilight.
Try existing 42 binoculars yourself before buying expensive 56s!

I think the focus translation (Englisch: transmission gear rate?) or fix IF (?) is essential in advanced twilight and residual light, moonlight, I only realised this through practical tests.

A gear ratio naturally also includes the diameter of the focusing wheel. If my German-English translation (as always hopefully instructive) is unclear, please ask me specifically.

I no longer answer unclear enquiries (PMs) because I have more/other hobbies.
I know that people consider me arrogant. That is wrong, I want to learn and teach my experiences.
If I don't learn more myself, I look for new books - or other forums ...
Best Regards. Jessie

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Celestron Nature DX 10x56 (given the unavailability of the FL or SLC). At a price point of 199 USD there would be little down side to experimenting, although it would not be fair to compare to Zeiss/Swarovski. The 8x42 instrument in this model line was reviewed positively by Optica Exotica. I have also considered the Conquest HD but have resisted thus far given the paucity of reviews of that model.

George

I have an early Zeiss Conquest compact model that has served me well. With the current market changes at Swarovski, I would expect the Zeiss Conquest series to become more popular.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back