• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great or Magnificent Frigatebird (Isla de la Plata - Ecuador) (1 Viewer)

Anton-Jan

Can anyone tell me if these are great or magnificent frigatebirds? How do you see the difference between great / magnificent?

Seen on Isla de la Plata in Ecuador, taken last year in July.

Thanks for your help?

Attachments

• 20150716_133040 - female.jpg
    20150716_133040 - female.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20150716_133735 - female.jpg
    20150716_133735 - female.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150716_133304 - immature.jpg
    20150716_133304 - immature.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 78
From our opus page on Magnificent Frigatebird: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Magnificent_Frigatebird
Similar species

On a sitting female, black on the chin and throat makes a dark arrow pointing into the white breast, and on a flying bird, the border seems perpendicular to the flight direction. On a female Great Frigatebird, the white breast points into the black, almost reaching the bill. Up close, look for different color of eye ring
Adult male has different color gloss on mantle when seen up close, and lacks the paler line on upper wing usually seen on Great Frigatebird. If visible, leg color should be diagnostic.
Juvenile Great Frigatebird is usually yellow/orange/tawny on head and upper breast, but the lack of that is not a completely safe field mark for Magnificent.

Your adult females are Magnificent, the juveniles most likely the same. The adult male, I cannot see color of the gloss in this image.

Niels

Thanks Niels, I'll see if I can find out if the male is magnificent as well, looking at other pictures I have.

I'm knew to the website and didn't yet know abou the opus pages, seems very useful! Thanks for helping me and pointing me to the opus pages :)

Great Frigatebird has yet to be confirmed for mainland Ecuador, so you can be pretty sure they're all Magnificients...

Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back