• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2022 - Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

As it looked like the last nice day of the year, I made sure to be on my bike. I twitched a Red-necked Grebe which took a while to surface on a big and not very viewable gravel pit. On another gravel pit, I added Greater Scaup to my German self-found list, which was of course a much better result.
108 Smew was a very good score!
Sadly, riding through the German agricultural wasteland was mindnumbingly boring as usual...

Last edited:
I managed some 78 species (including a heard-only Redpoll) today, all within the municipality I live in (albeit this was by virtue of not finding a Great Grey Shrike just across the district border). Amazingly, this was a better score than I ever managed in the Netherlands on 1 January.
Best finds were Woodcock, Water Rail (seen) and Hen Harrier. I could not find Redwing, which seems to be restricted to the Rhine and Ruhr valleys at the moment. I also tried quite a few localities for Kingfisher, but all in vain.

I managed some 78 species (including a heard-only Redpoll) today

Not a "Jan-1st guy" myself, as I tend to spend New Year with (at least) my wife -- who, although she can enjoy looking at birds, won't get up early and race after them on the first day of the year. I cycled to the coast on 30 Dec (which was quite definitely after "the last nice day of" 2022) and have been there since. Now at 83 species (+ Canada and Egyptian Geese, Feral Pigeon, Pheasant, and Black Swan, which we don't normally count here). Hopefully some more tomorrow (which is gonna a bit be windy and quite possibly wet, though), and I'll see what I can grab on Monday on the way back to Brussels (in what may be a somewhat more manageable weather).

Do we start a 2023 joint thread ? Or has people's interest faded too much ?

Last edited:
I would be happy with a new thread, but I wouldn't know how to link to a list.

Not used to do this either. Does this work ? (I mean, did I do the right things so that everyone can edit it ?)

Last edited:
I would be happy with a new thread, but I wouldn't know how to link to a list.
A new thread could perhaps drum up some interest now that the list is here.

Here you are, then :

Aagghhhh!

;-)

I think my personal opinion remains that nocmig records (same as birds found deceased or camera trap records) count for the ornithological record (eg for a site list), but not for personal lists*. So I would say no. But a dedicated nocmig, or nocmig listing thread would be very interesting ... (or even just mentioned as an aside on this thread if that was too much bother).

*(You have to personally experience the bird in real time for it to count)
Is there a dedicated nocmig, or nocmig listing thread?.. 🤔🤷‍♂️
TIA. 👍

Thanks for that, had a look, interesting.
Is it possible to search within the nocmig records for a particular species?.. I couldn't see a way, but it may be possible.. 🤔🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back