• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2022 - Joint Thread (5 Viewers)

(Long-eared Owl should be possible, but it's so hard to find...)
After three evenings of cycling in likely habitat I found some calling juveniles.
Bycatch were two Nightjars at my regular location, quite a few Wild Boar at point blank range and best of all a Pine Marten.

I added an amazing three species today. Two of these were twitches however (Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint), but the day kicked off spectacularly when I was cycling to my local patch with a dark Arctic Skua migrating west . Quite a surprise 200 km from the sea! My second inland record.

Last edited:
It's probably a bit late in the year for me to join in - I shall try and join ahead of the start next year's.

99% of my birding is done on foot within a few miles of the house. Highlights of the year are probably Osprey (yesterday), Bonaparte's Gull (several occasions - it's hanging around), Green-Winged Teal, White-Fronted Goose, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Red Crested Pochard.

It's probably a bit late in the year for me to join in - I shall try and join ahead of the start next year's.

99% of my birding is done on foot within a few miles of the house. Highlights of the year are probably Osprey (yesterday), Bonaparte's Gull (several occasions - it's hanging around), Green-Winged Teal, White-Fronted Goose, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Red Crested Pochard.
Given you've just added 6 species to the UK list and 2 of them to the global one, I'd say it's never too late...

Meanwhile, after a year of seeing them everywhere except places within walking distance...
29 August
37 Swallow

Given that our UK contingent went quiet over the summer, there are still quite a few common summer migrants that are on the global list but not the UK one. In case anyone's reading this and fancies contributing.

Given you've just added 6 species to the UK list and 2 of them to the global one, I'd say it's never too late...

Meanwhile, after a year of seeing them everywhere except places within walking distance...
29 August
37 Swallow

Given that our UK contingent went quiet over the summer, there are still quite a few common summer migrants that are on the global list but not the UK one. In case anyone's reading this and fancies contributing.
Can I have an idiots guide on how to submit - I submit to the county records so should be able to dig out dates and can add what I've got that is missing.

Can I have an idiots guide on how to submit - I submit to the county records so should be able to dig out dates and can add what I've got that is missing.

As I am too lazy to scroll back to page one and more year ticks should be coming this week, a link to the spreadsheet for my own convenience:
Check this link!

Check this link!
Thank you! I can download my reports to the the county ornithological society so will start filling it in.

Where do I put the date or is that not needed?

One other question - there are a couple of dates where I caught a local bus to a starting point a few miles away to save time, then walked home - I assume these should be discounted?

Last edited:
Can I put in a reference to my friend and occasional BirdForum contributor Gary Prescott who is presently on 259 species for his Green Year, having added Citrine Wagtail, Wryneck and Sooty Shearwater at Spurn today.

Thank you! I can download my reports to the the county ornithological society so will start filling it in.

Where do I put the date or is that not needed?

One other question - there are a couple of dates where I caught a local bus to a starting point a few miles away to save time, then walked home - I assume these should be discounted?
Correct Richard, it’s frustrating but only right though, my wife sometimes drops me off on her way to work and I bird on my walk back home but I can’t count anything I see as ‘green’.

Good to hear Gary is still doing a green year too, what a star!

Date isn't really necessary. A lot of the dates on the spreadsheet are the date that someone posted information on here, rather than the date of the sighting.

Put your list onto the UK tab in a suitable column, add anything that isn't already in the UK list to the end of that list, then add any of those that weren't on the global list to the first tab as well. Ideally, please use IOC official names on the global list, while the names commonly used in the UK are fine for the UK list. But it doesn't matter much - someone will eventually tidy up if a species goes onto the global list as X when it should be Eurasian X.

A walk out to Oare Marshes yesterday means I can add Arctic Skua, Little Stint and Pink-Footed Goose. Oh, and Spoonbill

It's a very interesting thread. By checking some random birds I noticed that not all data is synchronised, i.e. the European list lacked the Tree Pipit, Icterine Warbler and Goldcrest, while the world list lacked the LSW. Perhaps some more species could be added based on already reported sightings. I myself could've added a jack snipe, except that I took the bus one way.

By checking some random birds I noticed that not all data is synchronised, i.e. the European list lacked the Tree Pipit, Icterine Warbler and Goldcrest, while the world list lacked the LSW. Perhaps some more species could be added based on already reported sightings. I myself could've added a jack snipe, except that I took the bus one way.

Odd. I thought I had checked the joint the lists for the birds that are in my own list not too long ago... I guess I did it with the joint World list only.

A couple of things that are not in the list because they are not birds / not species / not regarded as countable here:
  • A Humpback Whale, back on 31 May: Humpback Whale - Megaptera novaeangliae 2022-05-31 | Observations.be . This incredibly appeared in the background while we were looking for the first-summer male King Eider that spent some time in this area (and that, unfortunately, was finally picked up moribund on the beach, and taken in care where it quickly died). The whale remained around for a couple of days. (There are much better pics than mine.)
  • A hybrid Black-headed x Med Gull: Hybrid Black-headed Gull x Mediterranean Gull - Chroicocephalus ridibundus x Ichthyaetus melanocephalus 2022-09-28 | Observations.be . A known bird (which had not been reported this fall yet, though). (I quite like type of unusual gulls -- which perhaps could be guessed from my avatar too, anyway.)
  • Two (species of) Flamingos, two days ago: Greater Flamingo - Phoenicopterus roseus 2022-10-09 | Observations.be . These birds did almost the entire Belgian coast in about one hour (Heist 8:48 - Koksijde 9:46). (Roughly three times faster than what I do on a bicycle -- even when there's a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler at the end of the ride. ;)) The European-Chilean association suggests birds from the Zwillbrocker Venn population, that breed in Germany next to the Dutch border. Birds from this population winter regularly in the Netherlands, where the European Flamingos among them are, to my understanding, treated as countable. When they pop up in Belgium (which is rare), they are treated as feral exotics.

• Two (species of) Flamingos, two days ago: Greater Flamingo - Phoenicopterus roseus 2022-10-09 | Observations.be . These birds did almost the entire Belgian coast in about one hour (Heist 8:48 - Koksijde 9:46). (Roughly three times faster than what I do on a bicycle -- even when there's a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler at the end of the ride. ;)) The European-Chilean association suggests birds from the Zwillbrocker Venn population, that breed in Germany next to the Dutch border. Birds from this population winter regularly in the Netherlands, where the European Flamingos among them are, to my understanding, treated as countable. When they pop up in Belgium (which is rare), they are treated as feral exotics.
Yes, twitching a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler by bike is a bit more exciting than twitching a Knot...
The Zwillbrocker Venn is just over 50 km from where I live, but I believe I cannot count them in Germany either... (I have made sure to get "real" European Flamingos on my Dutch list).

If I had gotten my act together back in Cornwall this year I could have (probably successfully) twitched birds like Roller and RB Fly (c10 miles and 1 mile away respectively). But I didn't. I think I should try and sort out a bicycle anyway which would make things a lot easier, although a bit nervy about having a death wish on the roads. We'll see.

I assume you can't start 'green listing' birds after a set time into a vacation, even if it is ostensibly a family visit - you have to have set up abode, even if only temporarily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back