• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings (2 Viewers)

Greybags

Supporter
Scotland
Greetings from a cloudy Stonehaven here in the North East of Scotland, south of Aberdeen and home of the deep fried Mars Bar.

As a young child I was introduced to bird watching and for a couple of years was a keen watcher but as I grew older other interests took over. At university I again flirted with bird watching but with hindsight this was probably more to do with avoiding lectures/writing essays rather than rekindling this hobby. Roll on 35 years and my interest was piqued while waiting for my daughter to disembark the Glasgow train at Montrose Station end of September 2021. I could barely hear the station announcements due to the noise coming from the Basin. Two weeks later I pulled out my 45 year old binoculars and my wife and I visited Montrose Basin. All we can say is WOW; didn’t realise what we had been missing here all these years - it was incredible - the variety of waders/ducks and thousands of pink footed geese etc. What a great introduction back into birdwatching! With the cricket season now finished I have my weekends free again so am eager to get out & about and enjoy this country’s amazing scenery and wildlife. Have been back to the Basin and have visited Fowlsheugh; can’t believe all this is on our doorstep.

Also, a big thank you to all the contributors on this site for sharing their knowledge, wisdom and experiences. It’s both incredibly informative and allows newbies such as myself to learn and make informed choices about equipment - currently have money burning a hole in my pocket for a new pair of binoculars.

GB

Hi GB and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Keep an eye on threads titled Scottish Bashes, we usually have one or two meetings each year and they're all great fun.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Looks like you have really caught the bug this time, congratulations!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back