• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey or yellow wagtail (1 Viewer)

Grey Wagtail.

The upperparts are way too dark for yellow wag, and its tail is too long. Plus, if you saw this just recently, yellow wag is a summer visitor so you are highly unlikely to see one at the moment!

Thanks I wasn't sure. I didn't get to see it. My hubby didn't know what it was so didn't shout me. I have never seen one. AHHH!

this is definitely a grey. The problem is that grey wagtails are beautifully yellow, and not just plain old grey as the name suggests. As aythya points out, yellow is a summer visitor, mostly arriving at the beginning of April, whereas grey is resident.

As said, Grey has a longer tail than yellow and has a grey back (yellow has an olive coloured back)

Nice shot,Christine.We have one on our river at the moment.I spent an hour trying to take a decent shot,but the light was going,managed a shot of the Pied Wag,but would love a decent shot of the Grey.I find it confusing,as the Grey has so much yellow in its plumage,I cannot understand why it is not called a Yellow Wag.

christineredgate said:
I cannot understand why it is not called a Yellow Wag.
Because it would be very confusing if two different species had the same name ;)

Cracking birds, whatever colour!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back