• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess which bird from my terrible photo? (1 Viewer)

Hello Benji,

I came back to your picture several times now, and I am still puzzled. I cant match the (appearant) wingtip and the twisted=wrongly positioned tail (???) to any species with confidence.
It seems a smaller bird to me (yes, I was many times wrong on that. And thanks Butty once more!), so I considered a Dipper first.

If this isnt the right answer, I would vote for a Goldeneye.

But I am confident these arent the right answers. As is another Duck, which I considered and will post the name in my next comment.

Hello Benji,

I came back to your picture several times now, and I am still puzzled. I cant match the (appearant) wingtip and the twisted=wrongly positioned tail (???) to any species with confidence.
It seems a smaller bird to me (yes, I was many times wrong on that. And thanks Butty once more!), so I considered a Dipper first.

If this isnt the right answer, I would vote for a Goldeneye.

But I am confident these arent the right answers. As is another Duck, which I considered and will post the name in my next comment.
Neither of those are right, I have a slightly easier photo though if it is needed

None of the above, (to be fair I've never even seen a dipper or ruddy duck, as much as I would love to!)
As said in my previous post, I do have a slightly more identifiable picture if it is wanted/needed

Is it ok for me to put one photo up? I was scrolling through my camera roll for a photo of a supposed snow bunting, but found a bad photo of some sort of bunting or finch.

Well, here they are- I did say they were bad photos- the first one was taken in my garden in March, the second was taken yesterday at dusk. I can remember some random quirks about the second, it was flying very high, above the typical height of jackdaws, and higher than I've seen most gulls. I zoomed in as far as I could on my phone (it explains the quality). The second thing is than it did not flap once or even change the angle of its wings from when I noticed it to disappearing over the trees. I live in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, beside the Foyle River/Estuary-ish

Attachments

• IMG-1058.jpg
    IMG-1058.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG-4084.jpg
    IMG-4084.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back