• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guides in Melbourne/Otways/GOR? (1 Viewer)

mtar925

Thanks for posting reports and suggestions for the Sydney area - it's been very helpful in trip planning.

I'm also going to the Melbourne area from 30 October-4 November, meeting friends who now live there. They want to take a trip of 2-3 days out the Great Ocean Road. My friends are not birders at all but interested in nature, and I've though of perhaps hiring a guide for a half-day. Either to take us out right around Melbourne, or meet us on the great Ocean Road or perhaps in the Otways. Any suggestions, either directly or of ways to find a good one?

The ideal guide would be a general naturalist, and someone who works with non-birders (but knows the birds well too!)

Thanks!

I have used 'birding pal' in Melbourne. I found a nurse and her sister who were birders and took me around. They were not naturalists, but knew birds. You can try that... jim

I have used 'birding pal' in Melbourne. I found a nurse and her sister who were birders and took me around. They were not naturalists, but knew birds. You can try that... jim
Thanks Jim. if it were me travelling alone I would enjoy meeting up with local birders, and casually exploring. That's what I'll be doing while in Sydney, in fact. Since I will be accompanied in Melbourne by my non-birding friends I thought I'd look for a professional guide who has experience organizing an outing with more general appeal, to be sure my friends enjoy the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back