• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
I don't live near the sea or large lakes, so most of my photos of gulls show the undersides. I have all the usual UK/Europe bird guides but I don't find these particularly helpful in this regard.

I would welcome recommendations that might help, please.

Thanks

Colin

I don't live near the sea or large lakes, so most of my photos of gulls show the undersides. I have all the usual UK/Europe bird guides but I don't find these particularly helpful in this regard.

I would welcome recommendations that might help, please.

Thanks

Colin
I was looking at getting this one: Gulls of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East

But, I didn't buy it yet. Would be happy to hear any recommendations.
That's the book (Adriaens et al) that I would recommend although there are probably more underwing drawings in Olsen and Larsson Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America - but whether you need to spend c.£30 on the former and c.£50 on the latter to identify the small number of species that occur in the UK I expect could be debated :)

There is a good review of the Adriaens book at Gulls. A Review. with some example pages.

I use both books in conjunction with the website Gull Research Organisation which has a large number of photographs of birds of different ages taken in different months.

The facebook group UK Gulls 4 beginners; Add date and location to photos. | Facebook is very helpful as the two main contributors always give an "it's an xxx because yyy and zzz" answer rather than just giving the species (if it can be identified from the photo!).

Hope that's of some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back