• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull off Malaga late May (1 Viewer)

ERH

This very worn gull was pictured off Malaga - very pale with a light coloured bill. Reminiscent of 1st winter michahellis but what's with the pale bill?

Attachments

• 6135 2.jpg
    6135 2.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 96
  • 6132 2.jpg
    6132 2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 6143 2.jpg
    6143 2.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 6147 3.jpg
    6147 3.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 6150 2.jpg
    6150 2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 65
hi ERH,

the pale bill is nothing to get worried about - the large pale tip developes sooner or later in 2nd cycle mich. in 3cy same time they can have adult like bills (YLGs).
so, although it reminds somewaht of a snouty male 2cy caspian, it rather is a same aged michahellis in malaga with that dark underwing. moult being more advanced than e.g. in this simlar looking casp: http://www.lou.bertalan.de/gulls/pic/vh/up_1018.jpg, with p1-2 fully grown also favors mich over cach.
strongest mich-feel i get in the last pic where the pale-yellowish base (which is somewhat normal in spring, to be yellowish) is visible. it's whole structure is slightly more stout than in a similar cach male. due to variability there's hardly anything to say at this time of year on underwing pattern etc. - there are caspians this dark and very similarly looking. if i saw only its head i'd probably lean towards caspian o:D

Ok - but note that the first two photos are of a different bird (with much darker bill) than the other three.

Thanks Lou - good information as usual - really appreciate it. It did look quite different from other young michs present but as you say there is such variabilty. I can see what you mean smiths but I am sure it's the same bird - just looks different in different light as it flew past. Thanks again.

Hi,
it is not that important really, but there are so many differences between both birds that you just cannot explain them as being due to different light. You have really photographed two different birds.
Please have a look at the attached annotated image.

Attachments

• gullsMalaga.jpg
    gullsMalaga.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back