• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gull - southern Poland (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

As usual, I'm hunting for more than Caspian Gull - could Yellow Legged be considered this time?

Attachments

• _MG_5300.CR2.jpg
    _MG_5300.CR2.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 45
Hello Michal,

I cant ID your gull with confidence, but why not an adult Herring Gull or a Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid?

I looked at YLG last year again more closely in july/august and I would expect a YLG to show deeper/darker/brighter yellow bill (and legs???) and a visible red gonys spot. And I would hope for more black in the wing tip in an ID friendly bird (at least for me).
Please compare: Mittelmeermöwe (Schwetzinger Wiesen, SW-Germany, 01.07.2019)

And is the appearant lack of a red gonys spot an indication for Caspian Gull (parentage?).

But yes: this post came out more confident as it was meant to be and like you I hope for identification. Thanks from me too!

too little black on the underside of the far wing tip. matched by a few YLG but as Alex says, this would be better for an argentatus or cach x arg hybrid. note that also argentatus can show solid p5 mark, albeit not commonly. moult gap exactly at p4 makes it even more difficult at this time of year. bill shape at tip rather unlike cachinnans, would be ok for argentatus and michahellis. red gonys spot is weak but this is not really to trust - better for argie and hybrid though.

Thank you so much for your great comments and strong explanation.
I'm also looking at the darker - bluish - coat (compare caspian below) and ... bright 'big' eye (at this photo maybe not so visible). Are these observations irrelevant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back