• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull with an enlarged white patch on the wing (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi
At the end of March I noticed a seagull with an enlarged primaries patch - it covers not 2 but 3 primaries (illusion?). Additionally, the wing coverts and primaries are somewhat pale. But is everything normal here for Caspian?

Attachments

• IMG_6126.JPG
    IMG_6126.JPG
    651.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6127.JPG
    IMG_6127.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6128.JPG
    IMG_6128.JPG
    711.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6129.JPG
    IMG_6129.JPG
    981.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6130.JPG
    IMG_6130.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6131.JPG
    IMG_6131.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 38
Hello Michal,
yes I think its some bleaching or some growth issues/bad state or nutrition during moult.

But everything else looks good for an adult Caspian Gull imo.
But as always you know. Thanks to Lou and all!

Those patches are called mirrors and they are perfectly normal, extending on p9 and p10 only, they just look as if they extend to p8 (extreme individuals can have a small p8 mirror, either argentatus and cachinnans, but this is not the case here). Note that p9 'covers' p8, seen from below, that's why you see so little of p8 tip. And I see no particularly pale parts in grey mantle. It's a perfectly normal male Caspian Gull.

Yes of course - mirros, I couldn't remamber the word :)
Thanks - pale parts are visible (imo) especially on pic 6126, but maybe that are sun reflections.
My hallucinations were perfectly explained 😄. Great thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back