• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (6 Viewers)

Popped out this afternoon to check the local berry crop, no Waxwings yet but did find a Water Rail & Goldcrest.

John.

Latest news from Tices. Kevin Duncan saw 183 Golden Plover. It would appear that more birds had arrived.

Surrey Year 156 (latest Brambling)
British Life 317 (latest White-tailed Plover)
World Life 1155 (latest Red-headed Bunting)

Latest news from Tices. Kevin Duncan saw 183 Golden Plover. It would appear that more birds had arrived.

Also there were 3 Dunlin amongst the Golden Plover. The Plovers were spooked at 16:10 and only 2 of the Dunlin were seen to return to the
workings.

WAXWINGS were seen at Tices in Feb 2005. Durings the weeks before they arrived there were many reports from along the Blackwater Valley and in Aldershot (Boxalls Lane) along the railway embankment.

Kevin

Also there were 3 Dunlin amongst the Golden Plover. The Plovers were spooked at 16:10 and only 2 of the Dunlin were seen to return to the
workings.

WAXWINGS were seen at Tices in Feb 2005. Durings the weeks before they arrived there were many reports from along the Blackwater Valley and in Aldershot (Boxalls Lane) along the railway embankment.

Kevin

Looks like the rain brought some great birds this afternoon. Next ones - Waxwing?

Good selection of birds at Tices this morning, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper, Snipe, Golden Plover (17), & Lapwing (78), Adult Yellow Legged Gull, Little Grebe, 39 Teal, 4 Gadwall, 3 Shoveler, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, & Buzzard.

John.

I've lived in Aldershot all my life, and have developed a keen interest in birds over the past few years. To my shame, I've never actually been to Tices Meadow I don't think, or at least not the 'right' part evidently, since I've not seen half of the species you have, Johnny! I will make a point of paying it a visit in the near future!

I've lived in Aldershot all my life, and have developed a keen interest in birds over the past few years. To my shame, I've never actually been to Tices Meadow I don't think, or at least not the 'right' part evidently, since I've not seen half of the species you have, Johnny! I will make a point of paying it a visit in the near future!

Matty,

directions below just in case. This will get you to the right part of Tice's. Hope to see you around.

The entrance to Tice's Meadow is between Aldershot and Badshot Lea village along the B3208 Badshot Lea Road/Lower Farnham Road. Park on the road near the Badshot Lea Garage (now closed down). Walk through the metal gate opposite. To view the flooded workings follow the path to the right and go up the bund. Check the meadow from here. From the end of the bund you can view the flooded workings and the silt ponds.

Matty,

directions below just in case. This will get you to the right part of Tice's. Hope to see you around.

The entrance to Tice's Meadow is between Aldershot and Badshot Lea village along the B3208 Badshot Lea Road/Lower Farnham Road. Park on the road near the Badshot Lea Garage (now closed down). Walk through the metal gate opposite. To view the flooded workings follow the path to the right and go up the bund. Check the meadow from here. From the end of the bund you can view the flooded workings and the silt ponds.

Thanks Rich!

I'd noticed from the A31 that some of the old quarry pits are now full of water, just hadn't realised it was publicly accessible. I had seen a great deal of birdlife on and around the water though. It sounds like a great haven for all sorts of waders and ducks.
I look forward to visiting and exploring the area more thoroughly very soon, so may bump into you indeed!

Matt.

Kev,

What's the site record for Golden Plover at Tices?

John.

Hi John,
The site record for Golden Plover is c3400 seen on 30/1/2005. The highest total seen in the last couple of years has only been c300 on 13/11/2009 but most counts have been less than 30.

Kevin.

Tices is quiet today although there is a build up of Wigeon and 4 Golden Plover. Spent this morning at Island Barn Reservoir and bagged Red-necked Grebe, Spot Red and Red-breasted Merganser.

Rich

Tices is quiet today although there is a build up of Wigeon and 4 Golden Plover. Spent this morning at Island Barn Reservoir and bagged Red-necked Grebe, Spot Red and Red-breasted Merganser.

Rich

An increase of species later in the afternoon although all the Wigeon had departed. Lapwing (66), Golden Plover (14), Snipe (23), Linnet (30+), Meadow Pipit (4). The only Gulls present were Lesser Black-Backed Gulls (23) flying westwards over the workings.

What was interesting was the lack of both Cormorants and Coots given the number of both species which have been present over the last couple of months.

Last edited:
Nice! Where is Island Barn? I took a wander up Tices yesterday in the rain. Lots of Cormorants (c30-50), Canada Geese, and B/H and LBB Gulls, but couldn't see much in the way of waders. Most of the distant pools were a bit too far away for my old bins to be of much use though! Going to ask nicely for some new ones for Xmas...

Nice! Where is Island Barn? I took a wander up Tices yesterday in the rain. Lots of Cormorants (c30-50), Canada Geese, and B/H and LBB Gulls, but couldn't see much in the way of waders. Most of the distant pools were a bit too far away for my old bins to be of much use though! Going to ask nicely for some new ones for Xmas...

Not round these parts I'm afraid Matt, but Between Walton-on-Thames and East Molesley. A special Permit is required however.

Sean

Matty,

Island Barn is near Esher at West Molesley. Don't know Grid but if you put Ray Rd, KT8 2LF into your SATNAV you should find it. The site is permit only but local yacht owners don't mind birders being there and will let you in and out. There were three other birders there this morning, Rich Horton (a Tice's Birder) included, and I don't think any of us held a permit; indeed one was pensively walking around and avoided us. There is a sailing competition tomorrow so you might find the birds have buggered off. The female Velvet Scoter returned this afternoon.

Last edited:
Rain and a bird talk on Pittas drove me to Barnes WWT today but Rich H has reported 85 Golden Plover and 1 Dunlin at Tice's.

Rich

Yep & showing very well this morning it was too! Tices this morning was good, flock of c400 Golden Plover, 102 Lapwing, 13 Snipe, 4 Dunlin, & a Green Sandpiper being the roll call of waders present. Wildfowl no's being 30 Teal, 9 Shoveler, 3 Gadwall, & an Egyptian Goose. Also 3 Siskin & single Bullfinch with the roving Goldfinch flock.

John.

Another good morning. Still 400+ Golden Plover (most still circling when I left at 0830 with only 50 odd when I first turned up). 3 Dunlin, 11 Meadow Pipit, 33 Cormorant, 14 Tufted Duck, 9 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon, 2 Gadwall, 16 Teal, 12 Fieldfare, 20+ Redwing, 15+ Siskin, 2 Bullfinch and a lone Chiffchaff.

Fingers crossed for a Waxwing soon and I now keep checking every Starling sized bird just in case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back