• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (5 Viewers)

The 400+ flock of GP were still very mobile at Tices when I arrived this morning. There were 2 Dunlin with the flock & 150+ Lapwing.Apart from that only a single Buzzard to add to Richard's earlier log.

John.

I went at midday for few hours, but me and a group of birders failed to locate the flock in the area (although apparently they had been seen earlier this morning at 9am in their favoured tree).

Probably natures way of telling me to only do one twitch a weekend... and save the rest of the time for coursework ;)

Only 30 Golden Plover & 33 Lapwing present at Tices this morning, well down on recent counts. Also noted a few Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, & single Bullfinch with the Goldfinch flock.

John.

The mercury has plunged. A cold morning at Tice's (-3) but with surprisingly large amounts of unfrozen water left. Lapwings had grown in number to around 86 and there was 1 Green Sandpiper and 3 Dunlin amongst them. Wildfowl numbers pretty static with 10 Shoveler, 6 Tufted Duck, 3 Gadwall and several very flighty Teal. Snipe are currently in the reed beds at the silt ponds.

In the shrubby area there was a large mixed flock of Finches which included at least 15 Siskin and 10 or so Lesser Redpoll. Winther thrushes included 6 Redwing.

Plenty of Thrushes at Farnham around the UCA car park. Two Mistle Thrushes defending a favoured tree and both Fieldfare and Redwing chattering around what berries are left.

Hoping for Goosander locally over the weekend.

Last edited:
The mercury has plunged. A cold morning at Tice's (-3) but with surprisingly large amounts of unfrozen water left. Lapwings had grown in number to around 86 and there was 1 Green Sandpiper and 3 Dunlin amongst them. Wildfowl numbers pretty static with 10 Shoveler, 6 Tufted Duck, 3 Gadwall and several very flighty Teal. Snipe are currently in the reed beds at the silt ponds.

In the shrubby area there was a large mixed flock of Finches which included at least 15 Siskin and 10 or so Lesser Redpoll. Winther thrushes included 6 Redwing.

Plenty of Thrushes at Farnham around the UCA car park. Two Mistle Thrushes defending a favoured tree and both Fieldfare and Redwing chattering around what berries are left.

Hoping for Goosander locally over the weekend.

An improvement this afternoon at Tice's with larger numbers of wildfowl, 20 (at least) Meadow Pipits, 1 Green Sandpiper and the Dunlin (the former flying between the river and the workings), 19 Cormorant. An adult Great Black-backed Gull in with the Lesser Black-backs. Best find was a single Mealy Redpoll in the Lesser Redpoll/Siskin/Goldfinch flock. 7 Fieldfare over and extremely vocal. Two new birders, both from Woking, with one called David. Welcome!

Wildfowl Count:

Tufted Duck (16), Mute Swan (3), Shoveler (17), Gadwall (3), Teal (-20), Mallard (3)

Gulls: LBB (37), GBB (1), Common (3), BH, (60+)

Rich

Last edited:
An improvement this afternoon at Tice's with larger numbers of wildfowl, 20 (at least) Meadow Pipits, 1 Green Sandpiper and the Dunlin (the former flying between the river and the workings). An adult Great Black-backed Gull in with the 37 Lesser Black-backs. Best find was a single Mealy Redpoll in the Lesser Redpoll flock. Two new birders, both from Woking, with one called David. Welcome!

Sounds great! I will get up there again one of these weekends...(!) I'm off to Staines Reservoir tomorrow for the first time, with Sean F. Hoping for a good day.

Matt.

Very cold at Tices this morning, Green Sandpiper flushed from the River & flew in the direction of the workings. Also 3 Dunlin still in amongst the Gulls, 16 Shoveler & at least the same no of Teal also present. Spent most time this morning tracking down the roving Finch flock which contained 3 Bullfinch, & at least 10 each of Lesser Redpoll & Siskin giving very close views. Unable to pin down any obvious Mealies today though.

John.

Very cold at Tices this morning, Green Sandpiper flushed from the River & flew in the direction of the workings. Also 3 Dunlin still in amongst the Gulls, 16 Shoveler & at least the same no of Teal also present. Spent most time this morning tracking down the roving Finch flock which contained 3 Bullfinch, & at least 10 each of Lesser Redpoll & Siskin giving very close views. Unable to pin down any obvious Mealies today though.

John.

John,

I couldn't see any obvious Mealies today either but the Bullfinches had increased to 4. Barnes was worth a visit. Black Redstart, Water Pipit and 4 Bitterns. I saw 2 of them well. Checked Boldermere and Papercourt on the way back but sadly no Goosander.

Rich

Tad dissapointed didn't see any Waxwings in Thatcham .
Had a good look around the reported site.
Got home & saw they were in Agricola Way, must been opposite end to where we were.
:(

http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/birdnews.asp

Moose (?)

That's Waxwings for you. One bloke in Surrey has dipped about 9 times at Epsom - he turns up just after the disappear. They are bound to be here soon now that the weather up north has deteriorated.

Rich

Last edited:
Moose (?)

That's Waxwings for you. One bloke in Surrey has dipped about 9 times at Epsom - he turns up just after the disappear. They are bound to be here soon now that the weather up north had deteriorated.

Rich

Couple of flocks about in the Bracknell area too apparently. Meant to be some near Wraysbury Lakes too, where Sean and I also went today, but when we got there at lunchtime-ish there was no sign of them. Plenty of Redwings and Fieldfares about though, and a few Goldeneye there, and at Staines Reservoir too.

Matt.

A good hour or so this afternoon at Tice's. Met David Baker there who had bagged another Mealy amongst the Lesser Redpoll and Siskin. He had also just seen 3 Yellowhammers so off I went to find. Yellowhammer was a welcome site Tick for me; I found them along with other finches, including, 3 Bullfinches at the southern end of the embankment.

Not as many Gulls and no wildfowl as the workings were still partially iced over.

Not much else around although several Meadow Pipits, all the Thrushes and one Snipe was seen.

Rich

Last edited:
Went in search of Waxwings along the Blackwater Valley Path this afternoon. Checked all of the local berry crop but no joy, did manage Kingfisher, male Bullfinch, & at least 1 Goldcrest. No sign of the recently found wintering Water Rail though!

John.

Tices this morning 09:45 - 11:30 - 1 Green Sandpiper, 9 Snipe, 3 Lapwing, 15+ Siskin, 10+ Lesser Redpoll, 3 Reed Bunting, 20+ Fieldfare, 10+ Redwing.
Workings still partially frozen so Wildfowl & Gull no's very low, no sign of any Mealies either.

John.

Tices this morning 09:45 - 11:30 - 1 Green Sandpiper, 9 Snipe, 3 Lapwing, 15+ Siskin, 10+ Lesser Redpoll, 3 Reed Bunting, 20+ Fieldfare, 10+ Redwing.
Workings still partially frozen so Wildfowl & Gull no's very low, no sign of any Mealies either.

John.

John,

good selection of birds today. Mealies seem sporadic but then again so do the size of the flocks. Yesterday was a bit of a winter wonderland especially with the Finch flocks and the winter thrushes. Yellowhammers were a delight. Unashamed twitching today with Hawfinch and Common Crane; both additions to my Surrey List.

Waxwings now in Guildford at the Uni.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes the Finch flocks seemed to form in distinct groups today with the Siskins with the Goldfinches & the Polls tending to go solo. Still hoping that the flocks might attract the attentions of an interesting passing raptor as there was a large flock of Goldfinches favouring the meadow. Congrats on the Hawfinch & Crane, I've seen Hawfinches at Bookham in previous Winters, were they still behind the Railway Station?

Cheers,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back