• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (3 Viewers)

More local Waxwings this morning, 70 plus in Holder Road / North Lane, managed some pics too. Also had a text from Rich Horton to say he had finally got them at Tices.

John.

I saw the Eggars Hill birds today too. There were attempting to feed on the two white Rowans outside 23/24/25 Eggars Hill, but flushed everytime a car went by (which was often!). I attempted to get some shots, but they were never on the bush I was focusing on! In fact, once they came and landed on the bush I was under!

Pic one was taken by pointing the camera straight up, whilst 50 Waxwings fed around me!

You can just see the birds in the bush behind me in the second pic (but as you can see, I don't have the camera!).

Absolutely gutted I missed these. Literally five minutes from me. Glad you saw them though, and nice pictures!

Absolutely gutted I missed these. Literally five minutes from me. Glad you saw them though, and nice pictures!

I would have thought they are still around, Matt. There was still plenty of berries left on those bushes when I left, and I also noticed a couple of very berry-filled trees along the next road along Boxalls lane to the east (Highfield Avenue). They were also reported from the Holder Road area again today.

Last edited:
Matt,

I checked Eggars Hill this morning & only 2 birds were present. On my way home I checked Holder Road as I had found some there a week ago & bingo!
I suspect that these are the same birds as Eggars roving the area in search of food so they could turn up anywhere locally! They were very mobile favouring the tall trees in Holder Road & on the corner of North Lane / Ash Road. I noted that they were feeding on fallen berries in Holder Road, they flew off in the direction of Heron Wood when I left at lunchtime. Strangely, the substantial berry crop on the roundabout of the A331 / A323 junction has been ignored so far!

Cheers,

John.

An amazing day for Waxwings. Went back again this afternoon to see a minimum of 70. Rich H has a dead female which sadly flew into a window of the house with the White Rohan.

Rich

Waxwings seen by Rich H at the edge of Tice's on the River Blackwater. Things are turning up whilst I am away! I wouldn't mind but I am in Cornwall and dipped on Pacific Diver today! Will try again tomorrow.

Rich

At least 70 Waxwings still present in tall tree at junction of North Lane / Ash Road, Aldershot this morning. Also had Kingfisher, Snipe, & Bullfinch along the River Blackwater to Ivy Road.

John.

At least 70 Waxwings still present in tall tree at junction of North Lane / Ash Road, Aldershot this morning. Also had Kingfisher, Snipe, & Bullfinch along the River Blackwater to Ivy Road.

John.
What time did you see those, John? I clocked around 15-20 (I was driving!) flocking restlessly over the Ash Road near the crossroads with Lower Farnham Road around 11.30, but couldn't see any elsewhere.

What time did you see those, John? I clocked around 15-20 (I was driving!) flocking restlessly over the Ash Road near the crossroads with Lower Farnham Road around 11.30, but couldn't see any elsewhere.

Hi Matt,

They were there in the tree & surrounding gardens behind the flats / Sally Army at the junction when I went out at about 10am. They then flew towards Heron Wood. When I returned from my loop along the Blackwater just before 11am they were there again. As I said they are very mobile, but have been there yesterday morning & again this morning. I see that Rich saw 150 ish at Tices today so numbers are fluctuating, flocks obviously joining together to exploit the local berry crop. Certainly the best Waxwing winter I can recall as no's are bigger than the last in 2005.

Cheers,

John.

Just been out to look & they are there again, 50 plus present in the tree / gardens. They repeated their routine by soon flying off in the direction of Heron Wood / Tices.

John.

Last edited:
Back to work today for me grr! but 178 Waxwings reported from Highland Road, Aldershot today. I thought I saw a flock from my office window in town.

John.

Dipped again, but had a great consolation prize in meeting and chatting with Geoff (Jeff?) Lunn in Manor Road.

We'll keep trying!
Allan

Success!

70+ Waxwing in top of very large oak on east side of dual carriageway just north of Sainsburys roundabout in Farnham (next roundabout up from Shepherd & Flock)
Viewed from 11.00 to 11.15 when they were still there with a lot of coming and going. Good (and safe) views from the Environment agency track which is on the left as you head for the Sainsbury entrance.

Spotted by Catherine as we were driving back from dipping at Lidl.

Allan

Excellent glad you got them at last Alan. I took a walk back via Highland Road from work & at least 50 Waxwings were on the rooftops / trees occasionally flying down to a berry laden Rowan.

John.

Success!

70+ Waxwing in top of very large oak on east side of dual carriageway just north of Sainsburys roundabout in Farnham (next roundabout up from Shepherd & Flock)
Viewed from 11.00 to 11.15 when they were still there with a lot of coming and going. Good (and safe) views from the Environment agency track which is on the left as you head for the Sainsbury entrance.

Spotted by Catherine as we were driving back from dipping at Lidl.

Allan

Dipped on these! Was rather late getting there though. There were quite a lot of birds in a tree much further across the field beyond the sewage works, which could have been Waxwings, but too far to be sure.

Also took a drive round the Highland Road area later on, but missed seeing any round there too. I think I need new glasses! :-C

2 Green Sandpipers on the workings at Tice's today along with 42 Teal and 1 Golden Plover. The Water Rail was in the usual ditch and showing well.

Rich

Kicked off the new year with a stroll along the Blackwater which yielded 2 Kingfishers, 2 Siskin, & a Reed Bunting. On the way back I took a detour to Highland Road & yes! 16 Waxwings still present feeding on fruit in a garden.

John.

I'm currently stood on the footpath between the lake near Tices, and Heron Wood School, watching between 50-70 Waxwing flit about the trees. So close I can hear them plucking berries off the Hawthorn! Wonderful sight to start 2011!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back