• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

Thought I'd start one anyway and gauge success on number of posts. Please find at:

Forums > Your Local Patch > UK & Ireland County By County Patches > South East England > Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey

Rich

Gents (and Ladies), given the amount of posts on Tice's Meadow on this thread is there an appetite to start a Tice's Meadow thread as we appear to have taken over this one. This would give individuals a single area for Tice's news and allow more targetted posts for the tri-county border. Any thoughts?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes, I think it's time Tices had it's own thread given it's increased observer coverage these days & postings on BF. It's come a long way since I started watching it several years ago!

Cheers,

John.

Walk along the Blackwater this afternoon produced a Little Egret at Ald SF, numerous Chiffies, Goldcrest, Sparrowhawk. Also had a prob Red Kite over Ald town centre at lunchtime, caught without bins I lost it heading towards Tescos.

John.

Tilford, 17/3/11

Had the morning off work so spent a while at Tilford.

2 lesser spots (male and female) were present on the south side of the river, although they went awol for long periods.

Great spots were drumming for much of the morning and green woodpeckers were also present, though generally elusive.

A drake mandarin and a pair of mute swans were on the river and a few lesser redpolls were in the birches later in the morning.

A woodlark was heard singing from the open area further south from the river/woodland belt.

Regards

Paul.

Walk along the Blackwater this afternoon produced a Little Egret at Ald SF, numerous Chiffies, Goldcrest, Sparrowhawk. Also had a prob Red Kite over Ald town centre at lunchtime, caught without bins I lost it heading towards Tescos.

John.

John, I haven't really walked along the Blackwater properly since I was boy. Keen to get out and explore it again. Where's the best to park, and walk to/from?

Matt.

John, I haven't really walked along the Blackwater properly since I was boy. Keen to get out and explore it again. Where's the best to park, and walk to/from?

Matt.

Hi Matt,

I walk the section from the BVR,(A331), roundabout towards Ash Lakeside Park. You could park either in North Lane by the chemist in Lower Newport Road & walk via Ash Road, or in Holder Road & then walk through the gate at Charters Peugeot. See http://www.blackwater-valley.org.uk/ for more details.

Cheers,

John.

A few hirundines at Frensham just now. 5+ Sand Martins at the Little Pond moved on quickly, and another 3 at the Great pond, with a very surprise House Martin in tow.

1 calling male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Tilford this morning. Significantly I found a pair of Mandarin high up in a tree and looking at old Woodpecker damage for potential nest site. Large mixed flock of Lesser Redpoll, Siskin and Goldfinch also present.

Rich

Found 2 Grey Wags along the Blackwater this afternoon.The first two this year which is unusual as I normally almost always find them along the Ald - Ash section, also 1 lingering Siskin.

John.

On Saturday morning had wonderful walk away views of 2 male singing yellowhammers (altogether 2 pairs) exactly where Rich said they were (thanks mate) plus a solitary sand martin above the field with the skylarks. Very peaceful time until I was buzzed repeatedly by 2 guys using powered hang gliders.

Enjoyed really close views of 2 drake mandarins on the lake at Virginia Water today during a family outing, a little tame but I guess they are just more used to people compared to other ones in the region.

Nick

Attachments

• Yellowhammer_19-03-11_0001.jpg
    Yellowhammer_19-03-11_0001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Yellowhammer_19-03-11_0002.jpg
    Yellowhammer_19-03-11_0002.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
8 Waxwing on a tree on the big roundabout over the A331, between Aldershot, Ash and Tongham, at 17:00 today. They looked particularly stunning with their crested silhouettes against the yellow evening sky

Tilford, 26/3/11

The lesser spots showed briefly this morning, but headed south and out of the reserve area and were not relocated by lunchtime.

The usual supporting cast was present, including a woodlark which was singing for much of the morning beyond the reserve boundary. A firecrest showed well in the evergreens by the start of the riverside footpath on the western side of the village green.

Regards

Paul.

On Saturday morning had wonderful walk away views of 2 male singing yellowhammers (altogether 2 pairs) exactly where Rich said they were (thanks mate) plus a solitary sand martin above the field with the skylarks. Very peaceful time until I was buzzed repeatedly by 2 guys using powered hang gliders.

Enjoyed really close views of 2 drake mandarins on the lake at Virginia Water today during a family outing, a little tame but I guess they are just more used to people compared to other ones in the region.

Nick

Nick,

glad you hooked up with the Yellowhammers.

Rich

Willow Warblers, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs in full song from North Camp to the aquaduct along the BWVP this morning during a run. Worthy of note was my 2nd Garden Warbler in 2 days - about 10 days earlier than on average.

Rich

Had my first Reed Warbler of the Spring along the BV path near Aldershot SF on my bike ride home tonight!

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back