• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (8 Viewers)

J Moss said:
Hi JohnnyH,

where on Hayling did you visit. Wouldn't mind having a look for the BN Grebes and Knot (and SE Owl maybe).

Hiya JM,

I was at Sandy Point, although best places for SE Owl & BN Grebes are Thorney Island & West Hayling LNR (Oysterbeds). Knot can be found in wader roosts at any of the sites on Hayling or Farlington!

Cheers,

John.

Well, one I didn't mention about the trip to Moor Green was that two flocks of ~100 birds passed over, flying West and were at tree-top height, making a 'seeep' as they went and going at a hell of a pace.
Pretty sure they were redwings, but not seen any stationary yet.
Also a nice male kestrel on the lampposts at the Meadows roundabout today - photos in a bit...

JohnnyH,

Thanks. I've been keeping an eye out for Knots at Farlington, but havent spotted any. I heard that the main bulk of their flock sticks to Hayling, so I'll have a look.

J Moss

Hmm, it's not too bad, but it's been more heavily cropped than a hippy that's joined the Marines...
Apparently there's some goosanders (two pairs) at Moor Green, or at least there were the other night, but they came in as it was getting dark, according to the somewhat garrulous chap who I bumped into...

Hayling Island and Farlington Marsh

Had a look in on Hayling Island, Hampshire today, to take a wander around the Mussel beds. Stopped off at the seafront to the south of the island, to see if there was anything at sea. Turned out there wasn't! (wrong weather I suppose), except a Great Crested Grebe and the usual gulls, Pigeons and Corvids. However, the presence of a Mediterranean Gull on the car park was a nice surprise, and brightened up an otherwize rubbish start to the day.

Followed this up with a visit to 'Hayling Billy', the Mussel beds. The tide being in meant that there was no room for all of the waders to land, so instead, they formed a massive swirling cloud, changing from a near sphericle mass, to long streaming waves. Pretty awe-inspiring. The birds present in the area included; 16 Red Breasted Meregansers, 3Little Grebes, 1 Kingfisher, 28+ Brents (Bernicula), Dunlin, Redshank, Grey Plover, Oystercatchers, Knots, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, about 11 Little Egrets, Cormorants, Turnstones, a Grey Heron, Teal, Wigeon, GGreat Creasted Grebes, Curlew, a Kestrel and a Green Woodpecker on an electricity pilon. Not too bad.

Afterwards, I visited the local patch, Farlington Marsh. As well as the usuals (see above post and link), there was 1 Spotted Redshank on the pond, as well as 13 Ringed Plovers, 5 Golden Plovers, which were a new resident, 19 Avocets, 220+ BT Godwits and 5 Skylarks feeding in low cut grass. I saw 2 Red Breasted Meregansers on the sea. A total of 25 Little Egrets were present around the reserve, and a Black Brant was still present among the usual dark bellied Brents. 2 Bearded Tits were poking their heads up in the reeds along with Reeds Buntings.

Shame about the seawatching, but otherwise, a good days birding.

J Moss

Not too bad an evening's walk over Yateley Common South.
Heard five Dartford warblers, heard four stonechats and saw one, there was a small group of goldcrests, some flocks of wood pigeons heading south and an enormous tit flock. A few of the long-tailed tits were inspecting the overhead cables for something to eat, which was amusing.
Best bit of all, just as I was leaving, four grey partridge flew in very low on very stiff wings and settled into the grass. A passing couple and their dog sent them up again, which was just as well as they were very well hidden in the grass.

Not too shabby.

There were 2 Dartford Warblers at Farlington marsh today! I didnt spot them, but I heard two induviduals, each at either end of the reserve. I'll probably head down there early tomorrow to get a visual hopefully.

Popped into the Tern Hide at Lavells Lake LNR, Berks this morning, had cracking views of the wintering Bittern in the Right hand reedbed & the Kingfisher also put in an appearance. Not a bad hours birding!

Cheers,

John.

Ooh, I've been reading about that bittern each day on BerksBirds, but for some reason I can't seem to lift my bum off of the chair and go and get it. I ended up missing them last season, too, but I will go and see it. Apparently does show itself nicely from time to time.

Well, more of the usual over Yateley Common South, but still a lot of mipits about - they seem to have taken over where the woodlarks have taken off. Also saw a group of 5-6 blackbirds eating rowan berries together, which isn't something you see all that often as there aren't normally very many blackbirds present over there. Just wondered if some of them have flown in from elsewhere. Lots of finches flying over and still drips and drabs of woodpigeon flying South-west.

A lot of redwings over last night. I heard them calling several times while nipping out for a paper at 9pm. Still haven't seen any on the ground anywhere.

Bike ride along Blackwater Valley Path North this morning produced 2 Kingfishers, Sparrowhawk, & Goldcrest amongst others.

Cheers,

John.

Big Pied Wagtail roost at Ladymead retail park, Guildford late afternoon quite a spectacle! Also female Ring Necked Duck on Grove lake, Moor Green Lakes today.

Cheers,

John.

Little egret at Moor Green and no sign of the ring-neck on Monday.
Male kestrel in the same spot as the other week at the Meadows - started hovering over one of the fields and was then chased by a group of blue and great tits. The kestrel then flew into a tree, disloging a wood pigeon, which the tits then chased. Also two mistle thrushes and a couple of small deer.
Also saw the slightly funny wagtail again at Blackwater station and saw that the head and back are quite sharply delineated. Didn't get any photos today, but here's the ones from the other day. Everyone's pretty certain it's a pied, but with some interesting facial markings.

Couple of very cold hours spent at Staines Res this morning. No sign of the Great Northern Diver although I was informed that it was still around, did see 3 Black necked Grebes & a Goldeneye though.

John.

colonelboris said:
Not too bad an evening's walk over Yateley Common South.
Heard five Dartford warblers, heard four stonechats and saw one, there was a small group of goldcrests, some flocks of wood pigeons heading south and an enormous tit flock. A few of the long-tailed tits were inspecting the overhead cables for something to eat, which was amusing.
Best bit of all, just as I was leaving, four grey partridge flew in very low on very stiff wings and settled into the grass. A passing couple and their dog sent them up again, which was just as well as they were very well hidden in the grass.

Tony - without questioning you id but are you sure these were Grey as, as far as I know, there aren't any Greys in this neck of the woods. Local recorder would be very interested if they were.

Allen said:
Tony - without questioning you id but are you sure these were Grey as, as far as I know, there aren't any Greys in this neck of the woods. Local recorder would be very interested if they were.

That's quite alright - I'm always happy to be questioned about things as it's a good way of learning more about them.
They looked 'different' from female pheasants and there were four of them together (I'm pretty certain I saw another one a few months back, too). The tails were noticeably shorter than what you'd expect for female pheasant and they didn't seem to take off as explosively as pheasant when flushed (there was a dog nearby). They flew low over the heath (maybe a foot over the heater tops) with just the outboard parts of their wings flicking before settling again. They were all silent the whole time.
Now, normally I'd think to myself at this point 'oh, I could be mistaken on that' - as I often am - but last November, I saw one standing on a path in the open for a few seconds and it definitely wasn't a pheasant. The marking were correct, the same wing-tip flicking flight and short tail.
The last two sightings have been near to dusk, so I'll try and get out and see if I can see some more and ID them as best as I can before contacting the recorder for fear of making an arse of myself...
Thanks, though!

Tony

Walk around woods near Frensham Great Pond this morning produced my first Redwings of the Winter as well as a nice selection of Woodland birds. Had a Kingfisher also but no sign of any Willow Tits, not much doing on the Great Pond either.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back