• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (4 Viewers)

Yo Tony. Any chance the partridges you saw could have been Red Legged Partridge?

Anyway, popped down to the New Forest early this morning, just on a whim, hoping to have more success than on the last visit. First I visited the Beaulieu Heath and woods, near the train station. A pair of Stonechats, Goldcrests and a Blue Tit were in the Gorse and Pine trees in the car park. Proceded to walk along the path through the heath where a Buzzard was circling (heart raced on first seeing it flying low, as I thought it was a Hen Harrier! Dont ask how I came to that conclusion. I guess thats the downside of visiting somewhere that you have heard is a regular haunt for something amazing. I also was optimistic of seeing Great Grey Shrike and Crossbill, but I guess I would have had to have luck firmly on my side for that! One of the rare occasions that I'll ever be dissapointed to see a Buzzard) Also saw a Kestrel and Mippets. A Green Woodpecker was also seen on the border of the woods.

I didnt see anything unusual in the woods. Just Blue, Great, Coal and Long-Tailed Tits, A few Treecreepers, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, and hundreds of Woodpigeons. I've never seen so many! Felt pretty dissapointed to be honest, as I had hoped to find Crossbills. My neck aches like mad now, as I spent ages looking up into the tops of the Pines, checking every movement. Oh well.

Was about 2 o'clock now, and I headed to Backwater Arbouretum to have another go at Hawfinches. Didn't dissapoint! There were 7 Hawfinches in total, 4 of which sat at the top of a Pine tree for about half an hour! There was a conveniantly placed bench about 100 feet from the trees, so I didn't even have to crane my neck. Just sat there admiring them through the scope. Must have stayed there for about 2 hours, during which time I had Siskins and Bramblings. First time I've seen them in ages, and often in the same field of view through the scope as the Hawfinches! It was also nice to see them somwhere other than on bird feeders, which is the only place I've ever seen them before. Also present were the usual Chaffinches, Tits and, later on, a flock of 30+ Redwings flew through, along with at least 100 Woodies.

An absolutely stunning afternoon.

J Moss

J Moss said:
Yo Tony. Any chance the partridges you saw could have been Red Legged Partridge?

Ha! Not unless they were all camo-ed up (it is an army range, after all...).
I can see that I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm there. If the writing-up goes well tomorrow, I might well have a peek in the late afternoon.

Busy in the garden for a change. We've had a lot more starlings turn up in the last week and they've joined the local lot in the poplars. Used to be 19, now nearer 40. Also had a juvenile wood pigeon turn up, which must be pretty late for it still to be in that plumage. Two lots of tits through, second lot with a goldfinch in tow.
Oh, the excitement...

Finally connected with one of the Great Northern Divers at Staines Res today, stunning bird but gave us the right run around appearing on the surface briefly only to dive & re-surface in a different area. Was worth the perseverence though, also had stunning views of six Black Necked Grebes & a drake Goldeneye. Not a bad hour spent this Afternoon.

Cheers,

John.

I'm really going to have to get myself to Staines Res. and to Dinton Pastures again. The res. is a bit of a walk from Staines station, but I think I'll manage...
Been once before, and was startled by the number of coots on the walkway. Saw a snipe and a ton of ruddy ducks as well as loads of other ducks.
I'll try later in the week as it's supposed to be pretty bad weather over the next few days.

Yep Staines is well worth a shot Tony, there have been up to 3 GND's there this week & the Black Necks are usually about too. You might want to check out the Moor too, excellent place for Water Pipits this time of year.

John.

Found very smart Adult Yellow Legged Gull at Tices Meadow this morning in amongst the Black Heads, Lesser Blacks, Commons, & Herrings. The usual suspects at Tongham GP, Wigeon, Tufties, Pochard, Great Crested Grebe etc, as well as a flushed Green Woodpecker!

Cheers,

John.

I have the BTO Plover Survey tomorrow
Have any Golden Plover been seen at Tice's Meadow recently?
Last time I saw any, was 2 at the end of Nov.

I had a report of a Little Egret at Tice's Meadow today (16th) along the
re-directed section of the River Blackwater.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

None present yesterday, I hoped to find some Golden Plover but not much around apart from the Gulls & about a dozen Lapwings.

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Hi Kevin,

None present yesterday, I hoped to find some Golden Plover but not much around apart from the Gulls & about a dozen Lapwings.

Hi John.

This morning from 10am 6 Golden Plover on the slit ponds along with 86 Lapwing. The gulls were less in number than on my last visit,no sign of the Yellow-legged Gull.The Little Egret was still present feeding along the River Blackwater between Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP.

A flock of 400 Golden Plover have recently been reported around the Hurtmore
area. Maybe a spell of freezing weather might bring them to Tice's Meadow.

Kevin

Thanks Kev, hope the GP's return saw good numbers at Tices last Winter. On a different subject, noticed on Berksbirds that a Firecrest was seen at Finchampstead Ridges today. I saw one there last Winter, cracking little bird might have to check that out this week, one for Col B too if he's reading this!

Cheers,

John.

JohnnyH said:
Thanks Kev, hope the GP's return saw good numbers at Tices last Winter. On a different subject, noticed on Berksbirds that a Firecrest was seen at Finchampstead Ridges today. I saw one there last Winter, cracking little bird might have to check that out this week, one for Col B too if he's reading this!

Cheers,

John.

I might try Yateley Common for firecrest - we saw one two years ago. At the time, it was my wife who was more into birds than me and pointed out all the differences between the two birds in front of us.
Oh how I wish I'd had a camera then...
Finchampstead's a bit of a walk from here. I may try for Staines Res. soon, but a trip to Dinton Pastures for the bitterns might be in order for Tuesday.

Just talking upstairs and heard a familiar noise (at 23:10, no less). Quietened down for a second and it happened again. Either there were some greylags flying over or someone has their Christmas dinner in the garden still running about. I'm plumping for option A

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for sightings in this fog, but did get a female house sparrow happily flying over the shopper's heads inside Tesco at The Meadows. No-one else seems to have noticed until we pointed it out to our daughter, then people just thought we were stupid for holding them up from looking miserable while trudging around the store.
Merry Christmas!
Miserable sods.

Yellow Browed Warbler reported at Hawley Meadows this afternoon on Birdguides. Not seen by me, been at Slimbridge!

John.

YBW seen at Hawley again this morning, might try for it tomorrow if the weather clears up!

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to be seen twitching, I think I'll go for it, and then get on the train at Blackwater to go to Dinton Pastures (second bit if the weather's good enough).

Ah well, by the time we finished chopping logs, it was raining and darker than the inside of Satan's broom cupboard, so I didn't go...
That's commitment for you... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back